LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 08:55 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fill my 2011LX570 with premium gas every 4th fill. I see no difference in performance or mileage in either case.
Truck still going strong after 76K miles.
Old 01-21-18, 03:18 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ships10
I fill my 2011LX570 with premium gas every 4th fill. I see no difference in performance or mileage in either case.
Truck still going strong after 76K miles.
No disagreement here.
The following users liked this post:
ships10 (01-21-18)
Old 01-22-18, 07:00 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets stick a Tide Pod in the tank and call it a day! Now that's a challenge!

Still using regular fuel and over 129K on my LX.

My GL550, My GS Vette, My Miata all run fine!
Old 01-22-18, 08:15 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRDude
Lets stick a Tide Pod in the tank and call it a day! Now that's a challenge!

Still using regular fuel and over 129K on my LX.

My GL550, My GS Vette, My Miata all run fine!
If any of them has direct injection vs. port injection, something to think about. Premium fuel has more detergent
on top of difference in Octane value.
Old 01-22-18, 08:40 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
If any of them has direct injection vs. port injection, something to think about. Premium fuel has more detergent
on top of difference in Octane value.
this is flat out wrong. Detergents are based on fuel brands, not fuel grades.
Old 01-22-18, 09:41 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

www.toptiergas.com. Use these companies and the grade of fuel your owners manual states is "required" pretty simple??
Old 01-22-18, 01:57 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Sorry but alcohol lacks the energy of gas and the main reason we have it in our gas is to fatten the coffers of the corn growing states. Even the EPA blew up because of the amount of environmental damage occurring to the streams and rivers near these corn field. But due to a strong "corn lobby", the applied money to the complainers and the public continues to get duped.

There is nothing beneficial about putting alcohol in our fuel. It attracts water and can make a mess of your fuel system. Some want to increase alcohol to 20% soon.

It is not illegal here and if you want to pay for alcohol free gas, it is available at the pump if you look around for it. I use it in the boat and jetski.
I agree -- ethanol for fuel is a scam. Granted, if you have a high-output turbo car and want set it up and tune it for E85, that's a much cheaper fuel to run than race gas, but that's a fringe benefit to the scam that the rare citizen can take advantage of. For most of the rest of the population, it's a scam that doesn't pay off for them. Easily researched, and easy to see what's going on.
REDHORSE (01-22-18)
Old 01-23-18, 03:59 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

How about using regular gas and use Techron fuel injection cleaners every oil change?
i change my oil every 6K with full synthetic Mobile 1 oil.
Old 01-23-18, 07:55 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

These discussions fascinate me. People buy a $90,000 vehicle, and say drive it 12,000 miles a year. If your average mileage is what mine is, about 13 mpg in mixed driving, that means you burn a little over 900 gallons of gas a year. In my area the price between regular and premium is about $0.50 a gallon, so you spend under $500 extra a year to burn the grade of fuel specified in the owner's manual. Why risk reduced performance and possible reliability problems for $500 a year, especially if you are a long term owner?
ships10 (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 08:31 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

The problem is after having spent $90 000
people are broke and every penny saved thereafter is a penny earned for future purchases....lol!
Old 01-23-18, 10:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ships10
How about using regular gas and use Techron fuel injection cleaners every oil change?
i change my oil every 6K with full synthetic Mobile 1 oil.
Same here, but at first scheduled maintenance in spring and fall. That's maybe 5K.

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
These discussions fascinate me. People buy a $90,000 vehicle, and say drive it 12,000 miles a year. If your average mileage is what mine is, about 13 mpg in mixed driving, that means you burn a little over 900 gallons of gas a year. In my area the price between regular and premium is about $0.50 a gallon, so you spend under $500 extra a year to burn the grade of fuel specified in the owner's manual. Why risk reduced performance and possible reliability problems for $500 a year, especially if you are a long term owner?
This discussion is in a whirlpool, headed straight down.

I cannot recall seeing an anecdotal post related to gasoline grade causing engine damage, reduced performance, and possibility problems, either here or on mud. If you've seen one or more, links to them would be outstanding and appreciated. I get the same mpg and 0 to 60 time with either 91 or 87 octane. Engine knock sensors and the ECU set timing for maximum hp without knock.

All that said, most of the time I run 91 octane...not because it needs premium, but since it's the only ethanol-free stuff for 10-15 miles. With that comes more BTU's per gallon, as well as virtually no degradation of rubber fuel lines. Side benefit is with around a dozen Stihl power tools, ethanol destroys the flexible fuel lines in a year or 2, especially if you store the tool without draining the fuel. Ethanol-free will keep over a cold winter with a tiny bit of fuel stabilizer.
ships10 (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 05:33 AM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
Same here, but at first scheduled maintenance in spring and fall. That's maybe 5K.

This discussion is in a whirlpool, headed straight down.

I cannot recall seeing an anecdotal post related to gasoline grade causing engine damage, reduced performance, and possibility problems, either here or on mud. If you've seen one or more, links to them would be outstanding and appreciated. I get the same mpg and 0 to 60 time with either 91 or 87 octane. Engine knock sensors and the ECU set timing for maximum hp without knock.

All that said, most of the time I run 91 octane...not because it needs premium, but since it's the only ethanol-free stuff for 10-15 miles. With that comes more BTU's per gallon, as well as virtually no degradation of rubber fuel lines. Side benefit is with around a dozen Stihl power tools, ethanol destroys the flexible fuel lines in a year or 2, especially if you store the tool without draining the fuel. Ethanol-free will keep over a cold winter with a tiny bit of fuel stabilizer.
No disagreement here!
Old 01-24-18, 07:36 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why risk reduced performance and possible reliability problems for $500 a year, especially if you are a long term owner?
I see no indication that there's a risk of any reliability problems burning high-quality U.S. regular grade fuel, and I don't think you could see the "performance" reduction except possibly in a few tenths of a MPH trap speed on a drag strip. That's why I put premium in mine every trip to the drag strip, but burn regular the rest of the time.

And after 15 years of long-term ownership, I'll have $7,500 extra in my pocket.
The following 2 users liked this post by I6turbo:
ClaytonW (01-26-18), ships10 (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 02:09 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

And here is the crux of the problem. All we have is anecdotal evidence, which is no evidence. Until I see results which are repeatable and repeated by others, conducted in a controlled environment, e.g. on a dyno, then I'll follow the information in the owners manual for whatever vehicle I'm driving.
Max707 (01-25-18)
Old 01-26-18, 09:38 AM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

And here is the crux of the problem. All we have is anecdotal evidence, which is no evidence. Until I see results which are repeatable and repeated by others, conducted in a controlled environment, e.g. on a dyno, then I'll follow the information in the owners manual for whatever vehicle I'm driving.
https://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-0

Quick Reply: Premium fuel really needed?