LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 08:14 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Redhorse, I'm talking about big fuel, not your little gas station. To better answer your question, through seeing plenty of engines making the switches during the analysis that followed, we saw many deposits get cleaned up and such. So there is data validating the claim, I certainly am not a farmer nor do I grow corn.
Old 06-06-17, 09:42 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
big fuel companies have to buy ethanol, end of story, federal law, Renewable Fuel Standard.
Please define your "big fuel companies" I've already given example of Shell providing ethanol free fuel for Base Exchange until several years ago. Is Shell not a big fuel company?

And the people at the stations where I've bought ethanol free gasoline might find offense with your "little gas station" comment. There are two stations in the Baton Rouge area across the street from each other, and each "little gas station" has at least 10 pumps.

I've been through this discussion on Rennlist. The poster there finally gave up and did some research and had the integrity to post that he was in fact incorrect.
Old 06-06-17, 10:59 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Please define your "big fuel companies" I've already given example of Shell providing ethanol free fuel for Base Exchange until several years ago. Is Shell not a big fuel company?

And the people at the stations where I've bought ethanol free gasoline might find offense with your "little gas station" comment. There are two stations in the Baton Rouge area across the street from each other, and each "little gas station" has at least 10 pumps.

I've been through this discussion on Rennlist. The poster there finally gave up and did some research and had the integrity to post that he was in fact incorrect.
Do you know what the Renewable Fuel Standard laws are? They either buy 10% ethanol or they buy credits.

Right because your neighborhood gas station is now a multibillion dollar oil corporation.

Like I said your examples are void, RFS mandates 10% ethanol or if you get in the technical aspect purchases of credits but as many have said, even without RFS in place, big fuel has learned to use ethanol to it's advantage, don't expect with even a repeal of RFS for ethanol to go away. It's here to stay, my last response on this board.

For the rest here, I test engines from Toyota to Ford and many more, as well as fuel for many government agencies, federal and state. My knowledge is based on facts and data, not an opinion about how I woke up and felt that day. Ethanol is a great fuel, it's why so many switch and why it will become more abundant over time.
Old 06-06-17, 12:43 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Do you know what the Renewable Fuel Standard laws are? They either buy 10% ethanol or they buy credits...

... It's here to stay, my last response on this board.
Old 06-06-17, 12:55 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For the record...there are NUMEROUS ethanol-free gas stations here in Tennessee.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2008GS:
ggebhardt (06-07-17), REDHORSE (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 06:03 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

you guys make me laugh, the mandate as I mentioned 4 times already is not on gas stations. It is on the fuel makers.
Old 06-06-17, 06:07 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

gas is different dependant on state/elevations. i have had success with 85 octane as well as 95....think the computers in our cars help alot. e85 gas had alot of water rust out exhaust...dont know why.
Old 06-06-17, 09:46 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

your fuel does not make a difference at elevation, not at the differences in elevation you're referring to.

Ethanol does not have all this water you guys keep mentioning. Now if the jobber contaminates through improper transportation, that is on the jobber. In the past there were huge issues with the jobbers. I test for Texas DOA, Illinois DOA, Cali DOA and NJ DOA as well as the Navy's fuels. We don't see issues with ethanol.
Old 06-07-17, 08:41 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

you guys make me laugh, the mandate as I mentioned 4 times already is not on gas stations. It is on the fuel makers.
Please tell us, the great uninformed, where exactly gas stations get their gasoline if they don't get it from the "fuel makers?"

If the fuel makers were required to include 10% ethanol in all gasoline then I guess the many gas stations selling ethanol free gas are distilling out back?

And I thought you promised us you weren't going to post here anymore. A self proving lie.
Old 06-07-17, 09:41 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Redhorse, you remind me of Bill Clinton.

I have been asked by another member in a PM what you guys were referring to, so now I have to correct you bombarding guys.

The makers of the fuels have two options by law, either purchase 10% ethanol or purchase the damn credits to avoid it. In some areas, the 10% is easier to purchase because as a result you can blend even lower than normal octane and still achieve the intended octane because ethanol's octane rating is so high. Most gas station in the US serve gasahol. Very Very few serve gasoline. For racing and other applications, they are given exemptions.

Last edited by danielTRLK; 06-07-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 03:31 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

danielTRLK we are all sure glad you stopped by to educate us poor unwashed masses, many of whom, like I, buy ethanol free gasoline from the stations that have no connection with racing or are near any marinas.

Now, tell us about how the LX 570 which you own operates? Are you happy with it? Do you intend to replace it? How many miles on it? Had any problems with it. I get about 3-4 mpg more in mine using ethanol free gasoline. How about you?

And while you are educating us you can explain to us why I don't get higher mileage in my 2015 S8 when using ethanol free gasoline.
Old 06-07-17, 03:42 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shell V-Power sold in Canada has no ethanol in it. Wonder why Shell does not put it in their best fuel if it's so good?

http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/...plus-faqs.html

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 03:51 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quadro
Shell V-Power sold in Canada has no ethanol in it. Wonder why Shell does not put it in their best fuel if it's so good?

http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/...plus-faqs.html
I don't know anything about Canadian fuels, sorry. Other than it can be expensive to get ethanol up north, they could also have pour point issues. Flex fuel usually goes down to 51% in the northern states during winter. So likely weather related if I had to take a guess.
Old 06-07-17, 04:04 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
danielTRLK we are all sure glad you stopped by to educate us poor unwashed masses, many of whom, like I, buy ethanol free gasoline from the stations that have no connection with racing or are near any marinas.

Now, tell us about how the LX 570 which you own operates? Are you happy with it? Do you intend to replace it? How many miles on it? Had any problems with it. I get about 3-4 mpg more in mine using ethanol free gasoline. How about you?

And while you are educating us you can explain to us why I don't get higher mileage in my 2015 S8 when using ethanol free gasoline.
2014, yes I love it, 38,000 miles. Hopefully much more reliable than my jeep I had. No replacement, will attempt to put as many miles until repairs become out of hand. I blend out E15 on this LX. Yes, you will lose fuel economy using ethanol as it contains less energy. I've never tracked the fuel economy extensively, but I haven't seen that much of a drop with E15, about 1-2mpg. Trade offs.

On your S8, it's likely due to the forced induction design of that engine. You have to remember on average, E10 negatively affects fuel economy by around 3%. Other things, such as the engine running cooler and increasing ring seal, especially being turbocharged could lead to the gasahol performing better in your engine. Ethanol shines big time on forced induction engines, it's why most of the GT-R's, Evo's and Subaru's I've tested run on ethanol, helps with the ring seal and engine's efficiency. On a twin turbo 4L engine, how much does 3% fuel economy really come out to? If you get 20mpg average, that's 0.6 change in fuel economy. Other things to factor as well, what kind of oil are you using in your LX and your S8.
Old 06-07-17, 04:37 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know anything about Canadian fuels, sorry. Other than it can be expensive to get ethanol up north, they could also have pour point issues. Flex fuel usually goes down to 51% in the northern states during winter. So likely weather related if I had to take a guess.
The way it works in Canada is you have to have a certain average (I believe 5%) ethanol content in all the fuel you sell. So Shell mixes 15%-10% ethanol in their lower grade fuels (87 and 89) which allows V-Power to be ethanol free while still meeting average ethanol fuel requirements. Clearly they prefer not to add it if they don't have to.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (06-07-17)

Quick Reply: Premium fuel really needed?