LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 04:07 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I refuse to believe that there is anything good about ethanol in our gas except due to the pressure from the corn lobby. Ethanol is crap and degrades engine power and will suck water where ever it can find it. If they move to E15 or worst E20 we will all end up paying even more for E10 that they will have to keep offering for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 04:19 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Well then you will stay in the past along with all the people who said the same about synthetic oil. You can refuse to believe all you want like the Catholic Church lol There's only so much you can keep refuting before the science continues to say otherwise. Might you tell us why you are so reluctant?
Old 06-05-17, 04:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Thanks for your "permission" to stay in the past!
Old 06-05-17, 04:41 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

lol you're free to do as you please but in all honestly ethanol is great for engines. The hygroscopic argument does not really apply to anhydrous ethanol which is what we have in the US, not south american ethanol, plus your fuel system is sealed, and the ethanol is treated.

It doesn't degrade power, what you're referring to is the loss of raw energy. But a design change and things would be different. Ethanol also cleans out deposits left by gasoline in your engine, consider that.

Ethanol is not the end all fuel but rather a healthy alternative of fuels that will move things along.
Old 06-05-17, 05:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
lol you're free to do as you please but in all honestly ethanol is great for engines. The hygroscopic argument does not really apply to anhydrous ethanol which is what we have in the US, not south american ethanol, plus your fuel system is sealed, and the ethanol is treated.

It doesn't degrade power, what you're referring to is the loss of raw energy. But a design change and things would be different. Ethanol also cleans out deposits left by gasoline in your engine, consider that.

Ethanol is not the end all fuel but rather a healthy alternative of fuels that will move things along.
"Move things along"? What a joke.

Even the EPA said that growing corn for fuel will cause more harm to our environment that help by saving oil. Would have been stopped long ago if not for the Corn Lobby.

Done here, neither of us will be convinced.
REDHORSE (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 05:10 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

That is because they are at the beginnings of mass production ethanol. You can't expect the refinement level of oil after 130 years of R&D. The harm is debateable. It is not harm like removing fossil fuels, nothing tops that. So you're phrasing things in a way that can't really be compared. The ag. damage from ethanol will never come close to the damage from removing fossil fuels permanently.

I don't have to convince you or anyone, the facts exist in solid concrete data. You remind me of the crowd that refuses to acknowledge science and sticks to their guns no matter the cost.
Old 06-05-17, 05:40 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Is this Al Gore? LOL!
danielTRLK (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 08:05 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I refuse to believe that there is anything good about ethanol in our gas except due to the pressure from the corn lobby. Ethanol is crap and degrades engine power and will suck water where ever it can find it. If they move to E15 or worst E20 we will all end up paying even more for E10 that they will have to keep offering for a long time.
Alcohol is hygroscopic, whether anhydrous or not. Add water to anhydrous alcohol and it will mix without issue.

Well then you will stay in the past along with all the people who said the same about synthetic oil. You can refuse to believe all you want like the Catholic Church lol There's only so much you can keep refuting before the science continues to say otherwise. Might you tell us why you are so reluctant?
I would prefer to stay in what you call "in the past" as to ethanol. As to synthetic oil, which is now required by a number of OEM's, I'll follow their lead. It's been demonstrated that you will get better lubrication for a longer time with synthetic v. non-synthetic lubricants.

Bringing religion into the discussion is unnecessary, counter-productive, and imo argumentative. Your opinion as to various religions is beyond off-topic. Argue with someone who's had the benefit of a Jesuit education and be ready to lose the argument. That's apparent at this point.

What is the ethanol "treated" with, and why does it need to be treated?

If BTU's with an ethanol blend are lower than straight gasoline, it is in fact degrading power. Deposits can be treated with a number of OTC chemicals, or simply left as is.

Ethanol is a result of the clean air act...the government gets in bed with corn farmers who apparently can make more $$ with ethanol v. corn for human consumption.

That is because they are at the beginnings of mass production ethanol. You can't expect the refinement level of oil after 130 years of R&D. The harm is debateable. It is not harm like removing fossil fuels, nothing tops that. So you're phrasing things in a way that can't really be compared. The ag. damage from ethanol will never come close to the damage from removing fossil fuels permanently.

I don't have to convince you or anyone, the facts exist in solid concrete data. You remind me of the crowd that refuses to acknowledge science and sticks to their guns no matter the cost.
"They" have been screwing with the mass production of ethanol for years. Extracting alcohol from grains has been done for a few hundred years and should not be rocket science. Given the number of U.S. states that have refused to make ethanol sales mandatory, it would appear that perhaps ethanol may leave the auto fuel debate sooner or later. That's my hope now that the U.S. is out of the Paris accord.

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Is this Al Gore? LOL!
Watch out. Gore, not DARPA, invented the internet. He's a great example of a typical proponent of "clean air"...how much crap does his private jet leave in the atmosphere as the good fairy flies all over the place?

We won't even address the monster carbon footprint that batteries on electric or hybrid vehicles leave...once you consider costs of electrical generation to recharge the batteries as well as the costs to dispose of them loaded with cadmium and or lithium...I'll take an engine deposit or 2 v. heavy metals.

danielTRLK, what is the nature of your business? I've asked that once before and never received an answer. It may be time to man-up and define your involvement in ethanol. Curious minds, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by hankinid:
ggebhardt (06-06-17), REDHORSE (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 08:21 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Ethanol lacks raw energy, power is more than just energy. you make more power from ethanol than gasoline because of other factors. energy does not equal power. saying you will be more efficient with gasoline in a GASOLINE engine, is factually correct. Ethanol in a design for an ethanol engine would probably be more efficient than gasoline, remains to be seen one day.

A lot of things are hygroscopic, it means nothing. Just because something is hygroscopic does not mean it will absorb something automatically.

right and like ethanol it will be some time before most accept it. just like the whole synthetic oil argument, took time to get everyone on board.

Not really off topic as the roman catholic church as of not long ago finally admitted the earth was not flat. In general the church has/had a history of ignoring scientific fact when relating to simple things.

No they have not been playing around with ethanol mass production for hundreds of years. will take a while for things to get sorted. I was just at a huge meeting with multiple companies talking about figuring ways to mass produce more effectively than currently.

deposits can not be treated OTC in the same manor that ethanol does.

I am in the oil and fuel analysis business. I see race cars, make determinations, send companies/teams back to the drawing boards. I get calls from OE's with problems and needing solutions. I get e-mail from technicians that are stumped and have no idea what's happening to that corolla engine with no CEL. I see the end results, ethanol is good on engines. I don't care about opinions, I call it as I see it in the data.

one must still try to reduce emissions even in the face of others polluting. It's sad but boats and aircraft are the worst offenders.
Old 06-05-17, 09:03 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Some of you guys should head to the ISF forums to learn more about ethanol and it's benefits as well as its drawbacks.
Old 06-05-17, 06:01 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

danielTRLK you are still wrong. I buy premium ethanol gas for my 911 just a few blocks from my house. It is a privately owned CITGO station. It buys its ethanol gas directly from a local refinery. I've talked to the owner. This has been going on for at least 8 years I know of, and if illegal it would have been addressed by our super efficient Federal Government. Up until 3 years ago all the gas I purchased locally was ethanol free because I purchased it on Barksdale Air Force Base at the Base Exchange service station. The supplier for the Base is the Shell Oil distributor. They no longer sell uncontaminated (ethanol free) gas at the Base. The manager of the exchange personally told me it was not because it was not available but because of Air Force/DOD policy.

And as others have pointed out, you still refuse to tell us who you are or the business you are in.

The chemistry is that there is less energy in alcohol on a volume to volume basis. Yes, an engine designed to use 100% ethanol can be designed and built and such has been done in auto racing for years, and I used a mixture of 100% ethanol and synthetic "oil" all the way back in the 50's but only after reworking the carbuurator to achieve much higher flow rates. What ethanol will do is raise the octane rating of petroleum based gasoline. As to your claim it "cleans" the engine please provide a reference. Preferably a reference other than someone from the Global Warming lobbying group.
Old 06-05-17, 06:26 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

A couple of references if anyone is interested in reading for themselves.

http://coolridesonline.net/news-blog...nes-againstit/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william.../#17d156797c19

http://e360.yale.edu/features/the_ca...or_environment

http://www.autotraining.edu/blog/cou...silent-killer/
Old 06-05-17, 06:44 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ethanol sucks for most mass produced engine designs unless at high altitudes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torii:
ggebhardt (06-06-17), REDHORSE (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 08:11 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
danielTRLK you are still wrong. I buy premium ethanol gas for my 911 just a few blocks from my house. It is a privately owned CITGO station. It buys its ethanol gas directly from a local refinery. I've talked to the owner. This has been going on for at least 8 years I know of, and if illegal it would have been addressed by our super efficient Federal Government. Up until 3 years ago all the gas I purchased locally was ethanol free because I purchased it on Barksdale Air Force Base at the Base Exchange service station. The supplier for the Base is the Shell Oil distributor. They no longer sell uncontaminated (ethanol free) gas at the Base. The manager of the exchange personally told me it was not because it was not available but because of Air Force/DOD policy.

And as others have pointed out, you still refuse to tell us who you are or the business you are in.

The chemistry is that there is less energy in alcohol on a volume to volume basis. Yes, an engine designed to use 100% ethanol can be designed and built and such has been done in auto racing for years, and I used a mixture of 100% ethanol and synthetic "oil" all the way back in the 50's but only after reworking the carbuurator to achieve much higher flow rates. What ethanol will do is raise the octane rating of petroleum based gasoline. As to your claim it "cleans" the engine please provide a reference. Preferably a reference other than someone from the Global Warming lobbying group.
saying someone is wrong does not make them wrong lol it is an EPA mandate, big fuel companies have to buy ethanol, end of story, federal law, Renewable Fuel Standard.

I've already told you guys, I'm in the fuel and oil analysis business. My accounts consist of USN, USDA, USEPA, USDOT to name a few.

I'm not going to start pulling up sample reports just to prove a point to a few guys I don't know that would get me fired either way.
Old 06-05-17, 08:13 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Torii
ethanol sucks for most mass produced engine designs unless at high altitudes.
I'm baffled lol, these claims get better and better.

Quick Reply: Premium fuel really needed?