LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Costly Drink Spill

Old 07-25-09, 08:07 AM
FRITZ7440
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costly Drink Spill

Hey guys, I'm new at this so please be patient!

Long story short, my husband drove my 2008 LX570 to the beach with the kids, and somehow (although nobody is admitting to it) a drink must have been knocked over in the front console drink holder. The next day I started LX570 and 5 warning lights flashed. After 3 calls to Lexus Roadside (what a joke), it was towed 3 hours to nearest Lexus dealership. According to service dept., spilled drink caused 4x4 computer control board to short out. New board is $1,000 plus labor, rental car, and towing...warranty does not cover damage from drink spills. Have any of you heard of a similar problem? Wouldn't one think drink holders are located in bad spot if drink spill can cause such damage?

Last edited by FRITZ7440; 07-25-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 04:01 AM
ige
Rookie

Originally Posted by FRITZ7440
Hey guys, I'm new at this so please be patient!

Long story short, my husband drove my 2008 LX570 to the beach with the kids, and somehow (although nobody is admitting to it) a drink must have been knocked over in the front console drink holder. The next day I started LX570 and 5 warning lights flashed. After 3 calls to Lexus Roadside (what a joke), it was towed 3 hours to nearest Lexus dealership. According to service dept., spilled drink caused 4x4 computer control board to short out. New board is $1,000 plus labor, rental car, and towing...warranty does not cover damage from drink spills. Have any of you heard of a similar problem? Wouldn't one think drink holders are located in bad spot if drink spill can cause such damage?
I think you're right this is pretty stupid and if I may say sneaky for them to set, a spilled drink situation could occur very often, specially w family members/kids, and that is what big SUV are for mostly.

I think you could've argue, convince them that the cups holder IS EXPECTED to have spilled liquids on it...

Good luck,
Old 07-27-09, 04:10 PM
larry8
Driver School Candidate

I think that you can argue, that drink holder at that location should be able to handle spilled drinks. At the very least this is a major design flaw not to have some protection around a critial computer component at that location. They should cover the cost of the replacement part and come up with something to protect the rest of their units.

Larry
Old 08-09-09, 04:06 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by larry8
I think that you can argue, that drink holder at that location should be able to handle spilled drinks. At the very least this is a major design flaw not to have some protection around a critial computer component at that location. They should cover the cost of the replacement part and come up with something to protect the rest of their units.

Larry
+1 larry8, the Lexus engineers test and retest all interior features to ensure they are ergonomically located and conducive to a family's misfortunes. there's no way a spilled drink should be co-located to a critical component and a $1000 repair!
Old 08-09-09, 04:47 PM
larry8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tromly
+1 larry8, the Lexus engineers test and retest all interior features to ensure they are ergonomically located and conducive to a family's misfortunes. there's no way a spilled drink should be co-located to a critical component and a $1000 repair!
I am not engineer, I do know that the drink holder is right over the shifting components in the middle consol. It seems plausable that a spilled 20 oz drink would drinch all those electrical components. Especially somethng like coke product.

Larry
Old 08-11-09, 03:11 PM
SupraLX570
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would have been better off not mentioning the spill.....wonder what they would have said then
Old 08-13-09, 11:45 AM
FRITZ7440
Driver School Candidate

...just to clarify a few things...I did not mention any drink spill to the Lexus service department. As a matter of fact, there was no recent spill, certainly not a 20 oz drink. The only spill any of us can remember is the top of a really full ICEE fell off, allowing a small amount (maybe 4 ozs) of ICEE overflow to leak onto the control area. I immediately cleaned it up...and get this...that was over a year ago!!! When the console was dismantled in an attmept to diagnose the problem, they found a small amount of old sticky cola residue on this "control" part of the 4x4 system. The service manager felt it took that long for the cola to cause sufficient corrosion to short out the system. The bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that Lexus has a design flaw in the location of the 4x4 controls. Let me also share the outcome of my story. Thanks to an incredible service department manager in Mobile, Alabama, my vehicle was repaired...free of charge. I'm really not sure how he managed it, but he felt this was also a design problem on the part of Lexus, and this was not the first time he has seen a similar problem.
Old 08-13-09, 01:48 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRITZ7440
...just to clarify a few things...I did not mention any drink spill to the Lexus service department. As a matter of fact, there was no recent spill, certainly not a 20 oz drink. The only spill any of us can remember is the top of a really full ICEE fell off, allowing a small amount (maybe 4 ozs) of ICEE overflow to leak onto the control area. I immediately cleaned it up...and get this...that was over a year ago!!! When the console was dismantled in an attmept to diagnose the problem, they found a small amount of old sticky cola residue on this "control" part of the 4x4 system. The service manager felt it took that long for the cola to cause sufficient corrosion to short out the system. The bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that Lexus has a design flaw in the location of the 4x4 controls. Let me also share the outcome of my story. Thanks to an incredible service department manager in Mobile, Alabama, my vehicle was repaired...free of charge. I'm really not sure how he managed it, but he felt this was also a design problem on the part of Lexus, and this was not the first time he has seen a similar problem.
Great to hear that you were taken care of by the service manager, that's why I purchase only Lexus, they are the best!
Old 08-15-09, 12:55 AM
ige
Rookie

Good news, congrats!
Old 08-31-09, 12:47 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to hear they took care of you

They repaired it free of charge as goodwill under warranty. In some cases, the DPSM will authorize repairs under warranty to keep customers happy.