LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

18 wheeler Backs Into Lx570

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 05:01 PM
todo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 wheeler Backs Into Lx570

A 18 wheeler backed into my wife's two week old Lx570 at a stop sign.... the trucker was giving way to someone who was trying to turn.
she honked like crazy and expected the trucker to stop but no luck.
Although the impact was on very slow speed, attached is a picture of damage.
The Lexus dealership said they could not tell whether the damage is structural.... as they will touch the LX after Insurance adjuster visits them.
I sure to hope that the damage is cosmetic....
what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails 18 wheeler Backs Into Lx570-imag0011-2-.jpg  
Old 09-26-08, 05:14 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, that sucks. It looks like only cosmetic damage.
Old 09-27-08, 01:42 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club !
My wifes is the black one that had the hood, windshield and roof damage.
looks cosmetic. I'm guessing $5000-$6000 to fix.

Very glad your wife is ok !
Old 09-27-08, 03:22 PM
larry8
Driver School Candidate

Well it looks cosmetic, but I would be worried about the wireing being frayed causing shorts after you sign off on insurance. Also there always seems to be rust issues after sheet metal has been reshaped and painted and that starts a few years later. Just my opinion from previous experience with my cars being damaged.
Old 09-27-08, 03:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

man that sucks...on a new car too
Old 09-27-08, 05:02 PM
todo
Driver School Candidate

Trusso,
Thanks for asking.... wife is fine.... she got a new car after 6 years driving her Toyota sequoia.... so was very upset but has gotton over it....
Larry,
My lexus dealership has a in house body shop.... they said that every part which is damaged will be replaced.... no repairs... so hopefully rust should not be a issue.... I will keep in mind your comments about wiring and take it in writing from the Lexus body shop that they will be responsible after repair under warranties....
The LX was drivable and actually there was no waiting or vibration and all electrical, were working fine.
Kaydee,
I hear you.... I always lease Cars and treat them like sh..t but bought this one so we can use it 6 to 7 years so it was a bummer...
Ash
Old 09-27-08, 06:32 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I have never had a problem after Lexus handled the repairs. My RX300 they repaired a minor dent in the front fender and another minor dent in the rear quarter in a body curve basically a flat area. My LS400 needed new parts fender,bumper cover and light. The RX300 (sold to my son who sold it to my manager) all repairs are not visible at all over 6 years later.
Old 09-28-08, 01:48 PM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

Man, that sucks. I would go ape$#it if that happened to ours! I hope you have a diminished value clause in your insurance because these types of incidents will KILL your resale value when it comes time to sell/trade-in.Thats why I chose to lease (my first lease, I always bought before) our LX570 as it would be the primary family car and I just couldnt bear the thought of it getting damaged and worrying about resale as has happened to me before.
On the bright side, the damage doesn't look bad and you'll be fine if they replace everything vs patching it up.
Old 09-28-08, 03:32 PM
todo
Driver School Candidate

Medici,
I will check on diminished value clause....
Lexus is telling me no patchwork and I will be watching it like a hawk...
Old 09-28-08, 04:10 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by todo
Medici,
I will check on diminished value clause......
When I traded the LS400 in for my 2004 Prius I was asked "Was it ever in an accident?" I replied the left fender and bumper was replaced etc. The dealer told me it had to be major work on the vehicle.
Old 09-28-08, 05:46 PM
todo
Driver School Candidate

I guess getting it fixed by the dealership will help in terms of resale to trade in back to the same dealer one day.
The good news is that we plan to keep it for a long time....
I did read in the Robb report that Lexus hand inspects the LX 570 for panel fitness and quality control like it does none of its other cars .... call me pessismistic... I am sure the body shop at our dealership cannot bring back the car to its original Quality level even though everything will be replaced.....

Last edited by todo; 09-28-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 07:47 PM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

I guess getting it fixed by the dealership will help in terms of resale to trade in back to the same dealer one day.
I did read in the Robb report that Lexus hand inspects the LX 570 for panel fitness and quality control like it does none of its other cars .... call me pessismistic... I am sure the body shop at our dealership cannot bring back the car to its original Quality level even though everything will be replaced.....
You'd be surprised what a quality body shop can be capable of. Bear in mind that during production, as precise as these cars are, they are coming out one after the other and there is a process that puts the panels in the precise location. A body shop has the luxury of taking its time to guarantee it comes out OK. Point being, they might not get it dead-on the first time, but they can keep trying until its to your satisfaction.
Old 09-30-08, 08:25 AM
ISFChamp
Rookie

I'm glad to hear the wife is ok, and I'm assuming the rest of the family was not in the vehicle either. Looks like it should be cosmetic damage only. Good Luck !!
Old 09-30-08, 09:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

From what I found out about 3 years ago, the Lexus dealers in Jacskonville, FL do not even have body shops. They do recomend and place that does great work
Old 10-21-08, 03:06 PM
todo
Driver School Candidate

OK.... I get the car tommorow.
The damage was cosmetic.
Total bill was 6420 Dollars.

Quick Reply: 18 wheeler Backs Into Lx570