LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

New LX570...No HIDs!!! Sigh.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 08:01 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusrott
Frankly this HID business is not even a bleep in my decision making. Whenever I purchase a vehicle the first thing that I look for is reliability , follow very close by safety and front seat comfort.

The few times I have been on the road at night in my 2006 LX470 had no problem with the lighting system, my wife drives a 2006 LS430 which has great lighting and I do not find much visual difference except, with the oncoming traffic.
I agree with you that HID's are certainly not the over riding factor but... I personally feel that good headlights are a boon to safety.

Last night my wife and I took our 2006 LX 470 up to Newport Beach to meet my parents for dinner. We then all piled into their 2006 LS430. I drove us to dinner (now that my folks are getting older they prefer not to drive) and I can tell you without one iota of doubt that while the halogen projectors on the LX are good... the HID's on the LS are much, much better. At least IMO from a clarity, amount of road lit, and cut off standpoint. Personally, I can see a lot better on a dark road (like the 73 toll road here in S. CA) behind the wheel of the LS than I can in the LX and that is a safety issue.

I'm hard pressed to understand why Lexus isn't offering these as standard equipment on a SUV that costs this much $.
Old 01-02-08, 09:29 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I agree with you that HID's are certainly not the over riding factor but... I personally feel that good headlights are a boon to safety.

Last night my wife and I took our 2006 LX 470 up to Newport Beach to meet my parents for dinner. We then all piled into their 2006 LS430. I drove us to dinner (now that my folks are getting older they prefer not to drive) and I can tell you without one iota of doubt that while the halogen projectors on the LX are good... the HID's on the LS are much, much better. At least IMO from a clarity, amount of road lit, and cut off standpoint. Personally, I can see a lot better on a dark road (like the 73 toll road here in S. CA) behind the wheel of the LS than I can in the LX and that is a safety issue.

I'm hard pressed to understand why Lexus isn't offering these as standard equipment on a SUV that costs this much $.

I do not understand either the why. It can not be the extra cost , I would assume that Lexus will give an explanation if asked.
The glow on the LS430 is definitively better perhaps due mainly because of the AFS( Adaptive Front Lighting System ).
I would need to test drive the LX570 in the evening with AFS which is standard equipment. It could make a difference.
Old 01-02-08, 09:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

On big SUV's, since lights are so high, they end up pointing quite low not to have too much glare. Thats why Toyota's big SUV's never have HID's.

I am sure halogens will be much improved from before...
Old 01-02-08, 10:13 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Yeah and have you ever had one stuck behind you at a redlight? I've had to readjust my mirrors to keep from getting my eyeballs X-Rayed IMO Lexus and Toyota are doing the right thing and wish other automakers would be as considerate when picking lights for their giant SUVs. The projector beam headlights in my old '98 LX and my current GX and Spyder work great IMO. Maybe if I lived in Germany and drove on the Autobahn at night I would want HIDs but alas I live in a swamp.
Exactly what I wanted to say.
Lexus knows what they are doing , it is not for the masses.
Old 01-02-08, 11:21 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm surprised the new LX570 isn't gonna have HID's too...

Its just supposed to have it, it has a nice powerful v8, new redesigned look, new interior, 75k price tag and NO HID's....

Thats lame if you ask me...
Old 01-02-08, 07:51 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

lol... imma gonna wait a year on the new 570 b4 i buy it; just like the new 2IS350 when it came out it doesnt have the HID, but the IS now have it... so mayb lexus will put it in mayb on a later production....
Old 01-02-08, 10:28 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I hope, I really want to purchase this car in a few years. So HIDs would be a plus .
Old 01-02-08, 10:32 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have installed hids on my GX and the difference is amazing. hid is the future of lighting, just like auto dimming rearview mirrors to help protect your eyes from the LX with HIDs
Old 01-03-08, 04:56 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I think that LED headlights are the future...see LS600h.
Old 01-03-08, 06:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
hid is the future of lighting
Believe it or not, HID is currently the light to go with. It's been out for at least 10 years now and we're at the pinnacle of HID technology.

LEDs headlights are the future, but they need to have their bugs worked out. They run pretty damn hot. The LS600H has a heatsink in the back of the headlight to dissipate heat. Not to mention, there have been reports that the output of the LS600H is only about 2000 lumens. Although I cannot confirm the actual output, the LED output is less than the current 4100k HID's 3200lm. But I do hear Cree is working on a new LED bulb that outputs up to 1000lm per LED. Coupled a few together and you can probably get some great output. But it's still stuck with the heat issue.
Old 01-03-08, 11:29 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Or go w/ JDM 55w HID.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 01-03-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 11:56 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrott
The glow on the LS430 is definitively better perhaps due mainly because of the AFS( Adaptive Front Lighting System ).
I would need to test drive the LX570 in the evening with AFS which is standard equipment. It could make a difference.
The AFS on the LS430 helps, but it is really the special projector design that gives the great output. LS430 has a reflector under the projector that spreads the beam across 7-8 lanes on the highway. It has the widest beam of any projector out there.
Old 01-03-08, 12:00 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
The AFS on the LS430 helps, but it is really the special projector design that gives the great output. LS430 has a reflector under the projector that spreads the beam across 7-8 lanes on the highway. It has the widest beam of any projector out there.
Right

It's not just the AFS, even when not moving left and right the beam is incredibly wide.

I have heard good things about the Acura TL's beam pattern as well.
Old 01-03-08, 12:32 PM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrispy

Live and learn..... Clueless in Florida .............
Thank you.
Old 01-03-08, 03:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

What sucks is that if you have LS430 projectors in your car, it's hard to downgrade to most projectors. Remember the days when you first tried an OEM-equipped HID setup? It blew your halogen lights away. The effect is the same when you go from an LS430 to a reflector-based HID setup Honestly, I would not trade my setup for anything else right now, even the Bixenon TLs with ZKW lens. Hell, I never use highbeam anyways

Quick Reply: New LX570...No HIDs!!! Sigh.