LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Edmunds' First Drive: 2008 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 07:19 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Edmunds' First Drive: 2008 Lexus LX570

Sounds like they're hugely impressed but don't really want to admit it. Personally I've grown to like it a lot... Looks expensive and capable.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124062

First Impressions:
The LX can do anything, but it doesn't make you want to go anywhere except the pool at the local country club.

Dressed for Success?

By Michael Jordan, Executive Editor
Date posted: 12-24-2007

The 2008 Lexus LX 570 is the vehicular proof of the saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes." There might be a snowstorm or a desert between you and where you're going, and yet the LX is always prepared, always wearing the right clothes.

This is true luxury, utility brought to such perfection that it makes anything possible. It's as if you could be sure of turning up anywhere with exactly the right clothes, whether it's a ski weekend in the mountains or a summer vacation at the shore — even some kind of event where people dress fancy for dinner.

Too bad Lexus has managed to keep this a secret.

Franchise Player
Since its introduction in 1996, the LX has effectively taken over the franchise of the Toyota Land Cruiser, becoming the ultimate expression of durability, reliability and go-anywhere utility that the Land Cruiser has always represented in the Toyota universe. So it's no surprise that the 2008 Lexus LX 570 is just like the new-generation Toyota Land Cruiser, only with even more stuff.

Toyota's customary Disney-style imagineering brings us no fewer than 35 new features with the new-generation LX. At the top of the list is the new 383-horsepower 5.7-liter V8 matched up with a six-speed automatic transmission, a powertrain that comes from the 2007 Toyota Tundra pickup trunk.

Right after that, the 2008 LX 570 is set apart by its electronically controlled suspension with adaptive ride height and damping control, and it can deliver that whole luxury Lexus thing no matter what kind of terrain it's reading under its new 20-inch wheels with P285/50R20 Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. The LX also shares the new electronically controlled, off-road crawl control introduced by the 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser, a careful integration of the antilock brakes and the engine's electronic throttle that lets you fearlessly descend steep, slippery trails in a kind of cruise control.

But really, the most important items that make the LX 570 different from the 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser are pure luxury features, like the power-sliding second-row seats and the latest Mark Levinson audio system. Not to mention such new gotta-have-it stuff from the Toyota catalog as four-zone climate control and front- and sideview video monitors.

Abilities Beyond the Human
There certainly is a lot of stuff altogether. LX Chief Engineer Hideki Watanabe says, "We wanted the engine and the transmission to be powerful enough to allow the LX to do just about anything. We wanted the technology to connect the LX and the occupants to the world around them, enabling them to do more by giving them abilities beyond the human to see where others cannot, hear what others cannot and do what other vehicles cannot."

It sounds kind of like having your own personal robot mega-vehicle, as if you were a Power Ranger or something.

There's a little more LX to drive around with this new-generation platform, for while the wheelbase remains the same at 112.2 inches, its overall dimensions expand fractionally. But you never notice, really. There's that magic suspension taking the sting out of any kind of road surface, plus a six-speed automatic that thinks for itself (in a good way) and an engine with an even stronger, broader powerband than ever before.

You can drive it fast or drive it slow, and the LX just shrugs and goes about its business without complaint. Lexus claims the LX 570 will get to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds and then reach the quarter-mile in 15.8 seconds.

Of course, what you find yourself doing in the Lexus LX 570 is simply loafing around town like some kind of overprivileged country-club slacker. Aside from the big step up into the cabin of this body-on-frame, off-road-ready vehicle, the LX proves as practical and maneuverable as a Camry, so you're always using it to pick up another bag of crushed ice down at the party store.

The Adventure Quotient
You can get the Lexus LX 570 dirty, but it's hard to think of a good reason for it. The adventure quotient is just something the LX keeps in reserve for those occasional blizzards or sandstorms, and it's hard to think about breaking trail in a trackless waste when you're moving expensive furniture you've just bought from the home store.

Since it's meant to carry on the legacy of the Land Cruiser, the LX has miraculous off-road capability. There are plenty of die-hards who will tell you that the Land Cruiser lost its way when its inline-6 engine and solid front axle were replaced in 1998 by a V8 and independent front suspension. And they'll tell you that the LX 570's all-singing, all-dancing showcase of all-independent suspension and sophisticated electronic traction control won't win it any friends out there in the big beyond.

Yet the truth is that the LX 570 can go places that will leave old-school sport-utes of the iron age stuck in the rocks. The big news here is Toyota's own version of hill-descent control, an off-road stability control that keeps the LX's tires firmly on the ground even when you're driving down a pitch so steep that you're hanging in the seatbelts. A flick of a switch on the center console gives you a choice of three different speed settings, one even slower than a walking pace.

There was a time when the use of glorified antilock braking to sustain off-road traction seemed wimpy and fraught with disaster, but now we take for granted the rapid-fire stutter of the ABS solenoids on the LX's firewall. Toyota engineers tell us that it takes 3 minutes of absolutely continuous action before the system begins to overheat, and there's not much chance of that.

We'll admit that there are circumstances in which mechanical limited-slip differentials might be a better deal, but then they're clunky and troublesome the rest of the time. The LX's electronics are just fine, and they're just fine all the time.

Prospective LX owners (household income in excess of $385,000, so the marketing wizards at Lexus say) are more likely to be attracted to the new vehicle's 8,500-pound towing capacity, which is what you want as the owner of either some kind of hay-burner with expensive bloodlines or a far more sensible 25-foot Skipjack fishing boat. The six-speed transmission works the magic here, as the combination of plenty of gear ratios and good shift logic makes towing pretty effortless.

Big, Blonde and Bland
For all this, the only things the LX will be packing will be people and stuff. The seats flip and fold and slide like some kind of puzzle box that manages to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5-pound bag.

On a daily basis, the LX proves altogether pleasant. It's climate-controlled and wired for sound. It's so easy to drive that it would be the first choice as your daily driver. It's the ultimate Camry.

And as in a Camry, it's too easy to take the LX's excellence for granted. It looks luxurious, but it has no noticeable style, pretty much like one of those resort hotels with a couple of stucco turrets and a little too much marble. It's got a terrific golf course, a full-service spa and an exquisite restaurant, but you find yourself hanging out at the pool in one of those white robes, eating hot dogs for lunch.

Lexus has worked so hard to make the LX a luxury vehicle that no one seems to appreciate just how good it is.

The Luxury Message
There are plenty of people out there waiting for the 2008 Lexus LX 570, even at its base price of $73,800 ($74,565 including $765 destination fee).

The Lexus LX 570 has so much more to offer than effortless transportation, yet it seems that no one understands it. The LX needs some romance, a story of adventure to tell. It's always wearing the right clothes, and yet it doesn't look quite right.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-25-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 10:04 PM
EludiumQ36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Embarrassing Puff Piece

Jeez, what a puff piece ! Who's paying Michael Jordan, Edmund's or Lexus ?! Seriously, the dude's integrity is totally compromised. I didn't count one, not one, criticism of the overpriced, overbloated gas-guzzling LX570. Ironically, this only serves to show how desperate Lexus is to get these hogs into gullible consumers' hands. The entire industry is moving towards more fuel efficient CUVs and hybrids yet Lexus tosses us this gold brick 3-5 years later than it should've. Nope, compromised puff pieces like this are a certain indicator of a manufacturer's marketing desperation.

I don't like slamming the 570, I wanted to like it, but what was on the drawing boards two or three years back is totally out of sync with today's economic reality. And to see supposedly objective reviews sell out like this irks the @#$% out of me. I've made my perspective known now in several threads, so I'll back off because most posters here would rather support the vehicle than trash it. Merry Cmas.
Old 12-25-07, 11:05 PM
LexFather

I'm sick and tired of Edmunds just making smartass comments about Lexus in their biased *** articles. THis is no place with the LX...

It's so easy to drive that it would be the first choice as your daily driver. It's the ultimate Camry.

And as in a Camry, it's too easy to take the LX's excellence for granted.

The Ultimate Camry? This is so much more technologically advanced its not even funny.

They continue to make snide marks at Lexus as of late...
Old 12-26-07, 01:42 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I don't like slamming the 570, I wanted to like it, but what was on the drawing boards two or three years back is totally out of sync with today's economic reality. .
I think the most important thing to notice is that the average income of the owners of these SUV's is $385,000....with buyers like that, it doesn't have to be in sync with economic reality.
Old 12-26-07, 01:54 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sick and tired of Edmunds just making smartass comments about Lexus in their biased *** articles. THis is no place with the LX...

It's so easy to drive that it would be the first choice as your daily driver. It's the ultimate Camry.

And as in a Camry, it's too easy to take the LX's excellence for granted.

The Ultimate Camry? This is so much more technologically advanced its not even funny.

They continue to make snide marks at Lexus as of late...

I didn't find much wrong with the review.

Edmunds was pretty good about the SUV considering that it gets 12mpg in city driving and that it also has a pretty boring exterior. IMO Lexus is trying way to hard on the styling front. The interiors are pretty good but again Lexus is still trying to hard with the interior. The LX IMO has the best interior of the new Lexus style but the worst exterior. I liked the old lexus four light grill better.

Last edited by pagemaster; 12-26-07 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-26-07, 02:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by EludiumQ36
Jeez, what a puff piece ! Who's paying Michael Jordan, Edmund's or Lexus ?! Seriously, the dude's integrity is totally compromised. I didn't count one, not one, criticism of the overpriced, overbloated gas-guzzling LX570. Ironically, this only serves to show how desperate Lexus is to get these hogs into gullible consumers' hands. The entire industry is moving towards more fuel efficient CUVs and hybrids yet Lexus tosses us this gold brick 3-5 years later than it should've. Nope, compromised puff pieces like this are a certain indicator of a manufacturer's marketing desperation.

I don't like slamming the 570, I wanted to like it, but what was on the drawing boards two or three years back is totally out of sync with today's economic reality. And to see supposedly objective reviews sell out like this irks the @#$% out of me. I've made my perspective known now in several threads, so I'll back off because most posters here would rather support the vehicle than trash it. Merry Cmas.
I heard Suzuki Grand Vitara is great... check it out.
Old 12-26-07, 06:10 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

I use to dislike the exterior but with so much Lexus LX570 bashing, I have grown to like this beautiful behemoth.
What does the economic reality has to do with anything ?
Both my wife and I worked for almost 40 years each. Can we not reward ourselves? We don't travel long distances anymore but we like to travel in a safe and comfort manner.
BTW I did like the review.
Old 12-26-07, 06:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Lexus has worked so hard to make the LX a luxury vehicle that no one seems to appreciate just how good it is.
line that caught my eye. Pretty much spot on, damn that rap music

at the dealer I bought my IS from, they have a waiting list a few months long for the 570, so people do want this
Old 12-26-07, 09:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Michael Jordan-go back to playing basketball.....j/k.
What an idiotic exec editor
I don't like the exterior (as of yet) of the lx but that doesn't warrant calling it an ultimate camry-moron
Old 12-26-07, 04:42 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

This is the review I'm going to show to friends who are interested in the vehicle.

It gives a good coverage of how perfect the LX is and although you don't realize it now, it'll hit you afterwards.

In my opinion, all Lexus's are like that. They are engineered with a specific point of mind, to assist you in getting things done, not getting in your way.

Thank you very much, I like my off-road Camry because it easily keeps up with my buddies Bronco's and lifted Wrangers. The G500's electronics just keep getting in the way.
"Lower the window"
"I can't, the power windows broke again"

I am very anxious for a review of the LX570's electronic ABS in leau of a real mech. lock. I wonder how driving styles will have to adjust. I really have gotten used to the slow laggy LX470 throttle.