ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-3rd-gen-2008-2021-203/)
-   -   2008 lexus lx 570 side mirrors tilt back & forth while driving (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-3rd-gen-2008-2021/871620-2008-lexus-lx-570-side-mirrors-tilt-back-and-forth-while-driving.html)

KennyH 10-29-17 12:28 PM

2008 lexus lx 570 side mirrors tilt back & forth while driving

Hi there,

My dad recently bought a used 2008 Lexus LX 570 with only 50k miles. The car has been well taken cared of by an older lady. We're very lucky to get this car for under $30k.
There's just one small problem that I noticed while driving this car today is the mirrors on both driver & passenger sides were moving back & forth inside the housing while cruising along the highway at 65 plus mph. Is it something electrical or just loose screws or something like that? If anyone experience the same problem please let me know how to fix it. Thank you!

amphibia 10-29-17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018130)
Hi there,

My dad recently bought a used 2008 Lexus LX 570 with only 50k miles. The car has been well taken cared of by an older lady. We're very lucky to get this car for under $30k.
There's just one small problem that I noticed while driving this car today is the mirrors on both driver & passenger sides were moving back & forth inside the housing while cruising along the highway at 65 plus mph. Is it something electrical or just loose screws or something like that? If anyone experience the same problem please let me know how to fix it. Thank you!

Get these two parts. If you are handy, you can fix them in 2 hours. It involves taking down the front row door interior trims.

87946-60C60 Right side

87966-60C20 Left side

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...f0376c62b1.png

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...80c8526ac3.png

KennyH 10-29-17 03:35 PM

I wasn’t thinking that it could be this serious. May I ask is it some sort of design flaws that require to get new parts to fix it? If so isn’t Lexus supposed to take care of if for us?

mikeivan 10-29-17 04:01 PM

My 2008 had this problem, many years back. Fixed under original warranty, no charge.

amphibia 10-29-17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018236)
I wasn’t thinking that it could be this serious. May I ask is it some sort of design flaws that require to get new parts to fix it? If so isn’t Lexus supposed to take care of if for us?

It is just normal wear and tear on the black plastic mirror hinges. If you take them apart, you will find the plastic hinges turning into dust, accumulating at the corners :).

I guess they designed the hinges this way to prevent hurting pedestrians.

One useful tip is to turn off the auto mirror folding and avoid manually bending the mirrors if possible

KennyH 10-29-17 04:25 PM

Thank you for all the useful tips and recommendation! I guess I’ll take it in for the dealer to fix it then since I don’t want mess with any of this. Do you know if Toyota sells these parts and would they be able have them fixed for me since the nearest Lexus dealership is 1.5 hrs away

amphibia 10-29-17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018264)
Thank you for all the useful tips and recommendation! I guess I’ll take it in for the dealer to fix it then since I don’t want mess with any of this. Do you know if Toyota sells these parts and would they be able have them fixed for me since the nearest Lexus dealership is 1.5 hrs away

No problem. I will be honest. It does require taking about 16 leads of the cable out of the old mirror motor plug so that the cable can get through the small holes of various components. Then you insert all leads into the new plug after you get the new cable through all components.

As to where to buy, I know a few online places such as amayama.com or lexuspartsnow.com. You can order them and take them to your local Toyota dealer. Buy donuts/cookies when you go in. The repair does taking some careful operations. Take plenty of pictures at each step, especially which lead goes into which hole in the plug.

If the repair guy gets confused on the first run, my repair guy took a few pics. I will ask him to send to me.

KennyH 10-29-17 05:01 PM

Awesome! May I ask how much does it cost you to get this issue taken care of (parts & labor)? I haven’t had acchance to look at the parts # you gave me yet but I’m assuming it could be pretty pricey. Do you think that the ASE tech would be able to take care if this matter. I have an independent garage who took care of all our maintenances.

hankinid 10-29-17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018236)

Kidding? The truck is almost 10 years old.

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018291)
Awesome! May I ask how much does it cost you to get this issue taken care of (parts & labor)? I haven’t had acchance to look at the parts # you gave me yet but I’m assuming it could be pretty pricey. Do you think that the ASE tech would be able to take care if this matter. I have an independent garage who took care of all our maintenances.

The parts look like ~ $170 each...see https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...rm=87946-60C60 for one side then cut and paste the other part number into the search box.
Given your trucks age and mileage, I don't see them even close to "pretty pricey". I'd look at it as you have a very low mileage truck you bought at a great price...$340 imo is more than worth it.

Any tech with access to Toyota documentation should be able to R&R both sides. Actually, the best dealer mechanics eventually either start their own shops or work for one. Even better if you can find an independent shop that specializes in Lexus / Toyota vehicles.

Report back with what you do and pictures of the truck.

amphibia 10-29-17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018291)

Each mirror folding motor assembly is about $160 on www.lexuspartsnow.com.

As for labor, that is a tricky question. As I mentioned in my other posts, I treat my local mechanic friends as family members and, whenever possible, introduce more business to them. So they didn't charge me any labor for this job. For your estimation, I think you can assume 1-1.5hr labor per mirror. That is where the donuts/cookies/burgers come in.

Since you got your truck cheap. Let me be honest again, you are probably looking at another $4-6k rebuild parts in the next year or two, from control arm bushings to brake hoses. Your firewall insulator will also start to smell. You need to rip it out or else it will poison you. This is an industry wide problem as I mentioned. If I were you, I would have all of them done at once and negotiate a discounted labor cost.

The 2013 face lift will be another $3k but this is optional.

But all this money is going to be well spent because it will restore this truck to almost new mechanical state, good for another 8 years before you need to rebuild it again. If you are not ready to spend the money, may I suggest you should sell the truck after you fix the mirrors.

Good luck on this repair and let me know what you think.

KennyH 10-29-17 05:46 PM

My dad owned 2 toyota landcruisers before and he’s always a big fan of these trucks. We’ve had bad experiences with dealership before so we try to avoid them as much as possible (besides oil change). We’ bought this truck for a great price so spending some extras to keep it in great shape is not a huge problem. I just want to make sure that we got the correct problem and fix it right away.

amphibia 10-29-17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by hankinid (Post 10018310)
Kidding? The truck is almost 10 years old.

The parts look like ~ $170 each...see https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...rm=87946-60C60 for one side then cut and paste the other part number into the search box.
Given your trucks age and mileage, I don't see them even close to "pretty pricey". I'd look at it as you have a very low mileage truck you bought at a great price...$340 imo is more than worth it.

Any tech with access to Toyota documentation should be able to R&R both sides. Actually, the best dealer mechanics eventually either start their own shops or work for one. Even better if you can find an independent shop that specializes in Lexus / Toyota vehicles.

Report back with what you do and pictures of the truck.

Your statement is so true. The OP actually got the truck at a great deal, with probably 95% life left on the mechanical parts. I bet the engine hasn't lost any compression at all. A few dozen plastic/rubber parts are the only things he need to replace.

In most countries, those most capable and honest mechanics run their own shops. So definitely agree with you on this advice.

amphibia 10-29-17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by KennyH (Post 10018320)
My dad owned 2 toyota landcruisers before and he’s always a big fan of these trucks. We’ve had bad experiences with dealership before so we try to avoid them as much as possible (besides oil change). We’ bought this truck for a great price so spending some extras to keep it in great shape is not a huge problem. I just want to make sure that we got the correct problem and fix it right away.

Its either $160 + labor OR $700+ for each whole mirror assembly if you don't want to run the wires. Either way you need to take out the door interior trim. So I'd say go for the cheaper route.

Do you or does your dad have any handy friend with a complete tool kit. I can help you identify the parts. You just need to borrow a repair manual and buy him enough beers. This is why I wrote the other post, trying to help 4x4 enthusiast to enjoy the wonderful LX570 at less than half the price.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...n-history.html

KennyH 10-29-17 06:11 PM

We do have our independent garage who work on our cars in the past and I think they can be able to help us out with this repair. I’ve read your overhaul project on the lx 570 so I really appreciate that you’re taking your time to help me out with this issue.

KennyH 10-29-17 06:17 PM

By the way, I’ve found the thread with the exact issue like my car but they suggested a different repair due to the loose screws. Maybe I’m not being clear on this but only the inside mirrors moves slightly while we are driving, the outer case is rock solid and doesn’t move at all.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx-...riving.959459/