LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

When will a new LX470 model style debut?

Old 07-02-03, 03:19 PM
mikey99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When will a new LX470 model style debut?

Does anyone have any idea when Lexus will introduce a new body style for the LX470? Any pictures?Thanks for your input.
Old 07-03-03, 01:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No confirmations

No media news other than redesign should be here in 2005. But that's not exactly set. I believe they just had ideas that the current model is only set to run through 2004 model year.
Old 07-03-03, 02:55 PM
degeester
Rookie

Do you know of any changes due for 2004?
Old 07-04-03, 10:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default Can't be major

Based off of the info that a new model would arrive in 2005, I don't believe 2004 will have anything major, as 2003 had significant revisions (engine, transmission, interior dash, wheels, night vision). Lexus likes to make special models for the last model year though, so perhaps a Coach Edition, or something along those lines... again, this is just my sense of Lexus-logic.
Old 07-09-03, 01:18 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My guess: Rearview camera (long overdue!) and different colors.
Old 07-09-03, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Most likely the next LX will be based off the new Tundra/Seqoia. It will feature a larger V-8. This will battle the Esclade EST (whatever) and the new Infiniti SUV based off the Nissan Pathfinder Armada (It is huge).

Maybe 2006 or so.
Old 07-09-03, 06:06 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default Sequoia Platform

This is believed to be true, but Lexus also feels that the LX is still worthy to stick around. The platform has heritage and is legendary. They may get a new version of the platform and move the LX further upscale to battle the Range Rover more directly, as well as the G-Class.

Rumors earlier had the Sequoia-based model called a VX470/540. This would give Lexus 4 distinct SUVs. Seems like a bit much, but each one serves a specific purpose, and could be well justified.
Old 07-12-03, 12:08 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

I doubt the LX is going anywhere. Think about it... the LX is basically a Toyota Land Cruiser with some extra gadgets. The Land Cruiser dates back to the 1950's, when the US Army gave the Japanese a contract directly after the war to build some military vehicles to get them back on their feet. Today, the Land Cruiser is one of the most reliable and legendary SUV's you can buy. Besides, has anybody ever test driven a Sequoia? I have, and I was NOT impressed. It's definitely better than an Expedition, Tahoe, or any other domestic garbage that Detroit is churning out at the current time- but the Sequoia just can't compete with the Land Cruiser/LX470. It has a much cheaper feel to it than the Land Cruiser/LX470, and thus explains the lower price tag. People tend to be surprised that the Sequoia is less expensive than the Land Cruiser... at least until they test drive both.... mainly because they think that bigger is better. They think that because the Sequoia is slightly longer, that it must be more expensive. Wrong. Who knows, maybe Toyota/Lexus will make the next gen Land Cruiser/LX470 longer and wider, as they did when they went from the 97 LX450 design to the current 470 design, which is longer and wider... but it will still be a LX470 based on the Toyota Land Cruiser frame.
Old 07-12-03, 02:20 PM
degeester
Rookie

A salesman at a local dealership hinted that Toyota will not sell the Land Cruiser in 2004. The only version available in the USA will be Lexus LX-470.
Old 07-12-03, 07:57 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by degeester
A salesman at a local dealership hinted that Toyota will not sell the Land Cruiser in 2004. The only version available in the USA will be Lexus LX-470.
A car salesman? Boy, that's pretty high level information.

Did he also tell you what a perfect option leasing is, and that NOBODY sells for less?
Old 07-15-03, 10:52 PM
LexFather

This is believed to be true, but Lexus also feels that the LX is still worthy to stick around. The platform has heritage and is legendary. They may get a new version of the platform and move the LX further upscale to battle the Range Rover more directly, as well as the G-Class.
Well in Europe, the GX 470 is the new LandCruiser. The LX 470 is now called the LandCruiser Amazon. As much as I love the LX, it simply is not big enough against the American and upcoming Infiniti Competition. A strechted X-7 is coming too.
Old 07-15-03, 11:12 PM
degeester
Rookie

to BlackSC4,.no.
Old 07-16-03, 06:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Abroad the Land Cruiser has several variations. Our American Land Cruiser has always been the larger one, usually named Amazon, or Cygnus. Lexus isn't looking to go directly against the Navigator and Escalade with the LX. The LX is much more refined. This is why they believe the larger Sequoia based VX or whatever may go up against the domestics or other larger vehicles. The LX is size comparable to the Range Rover, which obviously still has a strong market, along with the G-Class.
Old 07-17-03, 03:31 AM
ozlx470
Rookie

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well in Europe, the GX 470 is the new LandCruiser. The LX 470 is now called the LandCruiser Amazon. As much as I love the LX, it simply is not big enough against the American and upcoming Infiniti Competition. A strechted X-7 is coming too.

Mate, please get your facts straight before posting.

The LX470 is not sold in the UK.

The Landcruiser has always been in two forms.

The Landcruiser Amazon has been known as that for at least 4 years.

The GX470 is not sold in the UK.
Old 07-17-03, 10:50 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 113 Posts

I have it on very good authority (my caddy) that Lexus has decided to continue production of the current generation LX 470 until at least the 2010 model year. The Lexus execs apparently concluded, as most of us already know, that the LX 470 is still the supreme luxury SUV on the planet - therefore no need to mess with perfection. In fact, my source also indicated that Lexus will change it's slogan from "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" to the new "Perfection at Last"

I'm guessing the Lexus execs must have read the recent 2003 Large Luxury SUV Comparison Test by Edmunds, which concluded "It's the one we would drive if money were no object."

Technically the Escalade came in first place, but only because it was cheaper than the LX 470. Here's a little quote from the article:
A long-time favorite of our editorial staff, the LX 470 has been a perennial Most Wanted pick since winning our luxury SUV comparison test in 2000. But in 2003, the LX 470 had to leave our full-size luxury shootout with a second-place ribbon. But just barely.

The Cadillac slipped past the Lexus with a slim two-point margin, and our policy is to stick with the numbers. And so life goes on, in spite of the pained cries of editors who felt the well-rounded LX deserved the win. But the Escalade is a fine luxury SUV in its own right, and if it comes down to a decision between these two, you really can't go wrong.

The LX 470 swept all of the subjective scoring categories. Editors were unanimous in their desire to recommend the vehicle to the average luxury SUV shopper above all the others. And three out of the four editors said the Lexus would be their top choice for their own garages (the fourth editor picked it second, behind the Cadillac). The LX also earned the highest score (86.7 percent) on our 23-point evaluations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When will a new LX470 model style debut?