LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2001 LX470 Cranks but won't start (intermittent)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 01:43 PM
lx470newb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LX470 Cranks but won't start (intermittent)

Hello,

My sister's LX470 will intermittently not start. It cranks really strong but just won't fire up. She'll leave the car for a few days and next time she goes start the car it'll fire right up.

The problem is intermittent.

It wouldn't start today so I came over to do some diagnostics. Here is what I found. I need guidance on what to do next.

1) With key in 'ON' position I don't hear the fuel pump come on. I also disconnected the fuel line which exits the fuel pump on the driver side under the hood and no gas comes out.
2) I removed the #1 position spark plug igniter and connected it to a spark plug which I grounded to the engine. I saw no spark when cranking the car.
3) There are no security lights on in the dash and the green ring around the key ignition remains green and doesn't flash nor turn red.
4) I didn't check any relays but I did check all relevant fuses and they all were OK.

In short, the car cranks but receives no fuel pressure nor spark. Also, I don't believe it is an issue related to the security immobilizer.

My sister did mention one time that it started once after jiggling the gear shift lever. I think that is most likely random though.

Questions:
1) What could cause the fuel pump and ignition coils to both not work? Do they share a relay or fuse?
2) Can the ECU disable both? For what reasons would it do so?
3) I read on other posts that the crank or cam position sensors could be faulty. Any way I can test this?
4) I connected my Autel 619 scanner and it couldn't link to the ECU (got an error). Any idea why this would be?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by lx470newb; 01-05-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 11:53 AM
cawright3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lx470newb
Hello,

My sister's LX470 will intermittently not start. It cranks really strong but just won't fire up. She'll leave the car for a few days and next time she goes start the car it'll fire right up.

The problem is intermittent.

It wouldn't start today so I came over to do some diagnostics. Here is what I found. I need guidance on what to do next.

1) With key in 'ON' position I don't hear the fuel pump come on. I also disconnected the fuel line which exits the fuel pump on the driver side under the hood and no gas comes out.
2) I removed the #1 position spark plug igniter and connected it to a spark plug which I grounded to the engine. I saw no spark when cranking the car.
3) There are no security lights on in the dash and the green ring around the key ignition remains green and doesn't flash nor turn red.
4) I didn't check any relays but I did check all relevant fuses and they all were OK.

In short, the car cranks but receives no fuel pressure nor spark. Also, I don't believe it is an issue related to the security immobilizer.

My sister did mention one time that it started once after jiggling the gear shift lever. I think that is most likely random though.

Questions:
1) What could cause the fuel pump and ignition coils to both not work? Do they share a relay or fuse?
2) Can the ECU disable both? For what reasons would it do so?
3) I read on other posts that the crank or cam position sensors could be faulty. Any way I can test this?
4) I connected my Autel 619 scanner and it couldn't link to the ECU (got an error). Any idea why this would be?

Thanks,
Adam
You may have already fixed this, but it sounds like it could be a neutral safety switch issue which is why when she jiggled the shifter it started. I've never fixed it on a Lexus, but have her override the shifter while it's off and then shift hard back into neutral and try to start it again. Last one I had go back actually gave a little hesitation when turning the key, but it was a different manufacture.
Old 01-30-18, 12:12 PM
deadmilenk
Driver School Candidate

I have this same issue and after doing lots of research over the last couple of days I believe that this is my issue. Might be yours too. Either way its a good read and a great write up

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-...#post-10539129

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/efi...-lx470.952811/
Old 08-31-18, 08:37 PM
ponytl
Driver School Candidate

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lan...#post-11875480