LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

normal expenses for maintaining a LX 470 with 100000 miles plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 10:30 AM
HydroCamry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default normal expenses for maintaining a LX 470 with 100000 miles plus

I am thinking of purchasing a 2005 Lexus LX470 with over 160000 miles. Its been owned by a local, and maintained at the same Lexus dealership its currently being sold at. My question to the average owner, are the normal maintenance expenses more than the usual vehicle?
Old 11-27-17, 11:03 AM
jholder
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say I've been a little surprised with mine, after having several Lexus with never an issue. Granted, mine has 160k on it, so normal wear and tear stuff will come up....and the LX just has more stuff on it. In the last year I've done the following:
-The electronic steering module failed where the steering wheel would be at a different place every time we started it. $4,200
-Brake pads $600
-New key $300
-Passenger modulator $200
-New battery $200

I'm also due to replacement of the air shocks, which will be around $2,500-3,000.

Again...MOST of these are regular wear and tear, I was just disappointed with that steering issue. But we LOVE the car!

Last edited by jholder; 11-27-17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 11:25 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Our 2000 LX470 had 280K+ miles when we traded in for a brand new LX 570 back in 2013. We had all maintenance done on time. However, we changed oil around every 5K to 6.5K miles. Originally started out with old regular Dyno oil, but midway at around 150K miles we switched to full synthetic without any problems.

As long as all maintenance were done on time, it SHOULD BE OK.

Here are things that failed outside of routine maintenance:

Lexus DEALERSHIP broke one of the front axle while doing it's first ever brake job at around 100K miles. We initially drove it on highways primarily. Lex DEALER covered this at no charge

Key ignition failed and just turns and turns. Occurred towards the end, like around 200K miles? This cost a bit. As I recall around $850? AAA flatbed it to the Lexus dealership.

Power steering hose busted right after I took home from routine maintenance. Lexus dealership said due to age and mileage, it's time anyway. This was at around 250K miles? So I paid out of pocket. It was high, as I recall. Don't remember exactly, but it was around$1200?

The power attenna will not go all the way up. This occurred midway as I recall at around 150K miles? Cost around $550? Don't remember exactly.

Towards the end at around 250K miles, I felt the SUV was loosing power. So we had the "carbon build up" service done at the Lexus dealership. I don't remember exactly how much. But with a coupon I remember it was around $175? The SUV had more power definitely afterwards.

SO in conclusion, I would not hesitate to own another. The "cost" of ownership is really minimal if you calculate it over the 13 years and over the 280K+ miles. Also if you compare to the European brands, this is much more reasonable and costs WAY LESS AND LESS HEADACHES!!!

Also if you use a good Indy for service, your cost will likely be cut tremendously. Even with a Toyota dealership, it will be less. You just need to find a good one. I would ask around and find an Indy who works on lots of LC's and Toyota in general.

Towards the end I felt the SUV was approaching the magic mark of 300K miles. From my reading and research, Toyota tested it's LC's to some 300K miles in all types of operating conditions BEFORE an engine and transmission overhaul was needed. So we decided not to gamble and traded it in for a brand new LX 570 in 2013. The 2013 LX 570 had most of the modern day electronics, like bluetooth, which was seriously lacking in our old LX470.

Originally Posted by HydroCamry
I am thinking of purchasing a 2005 Lexus LX470 with over 160000 miles. Its been owned by a local, and maintained at the same Lexus dealership its currently being sold at. My question to the average owner, are the normal maintenance expenses more than the usual vehicle?

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-28-17 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 11:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Air shocks??? You mean the hydraulic suspension system?

Originally Posted by jholder
I must say I've been a little surprised with mine, after having several Lexus with never an issue. Granted, mine has 160k on it, so normal wear and tear stuff will come up....and the LX just has more stuff on it. In the last year I've done the following:
-The electronic steering module failed where the steering wheel would be at a different place every time we started it. $4,200
-Brake pads $600
-New key $300
-Passenger modulator $200
-New battery $200

I'm also due to replacement of the air shocks, which will be around $2,500-3,000.

Again...MOST of these are regular wear and tear, I was just disappointed with that steering issue. But we LOVE the car!
Old 12-04-17, 06:19 AM
jholder
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Our 2000 LX470 had 280K+ miles when we traded in for a brand new LX 570 back in 2013. We had all maintenance done on time. However, we changed oil around every 5K to 6.5K miles. Originally started out with old regular Dyno oil, but midway at around 150K miles we switched to full synthetic without any problems.

As long as all maintenance were done on time, it SHOULD BE OK.

Here are things that failed outside of routine maintenance:

Lexus DEALERSHIP broke one of the front axle while doing it's first ever brake job at around 100K miles. We initially drove it on highways primarily. Lex DEALER covered this at no charge

Key ignition failed and just turns and turns. Occurred towards the end, like around 200K miles? This cost a bit. As I recall around $850? AAA flatbed it to the Lexus dealership.

Power steering hose busted right after I took home from routine maintenance. Lexus dealership said due to age and mileage, it's time anyway. This was at around 250K miles? So I paid out of pocket. It was high, as I recall. Don't remember exactly, but it was around$1200?

The power attenna will not go all the way up. This occurred midway as I recall at around 150K miles? Cost around $550? Don't remember exactly.

Towards the end at around 250K miles, I felt the SUV was loosing power. So we had the "carbon build up" service done at the Lexus dealership. I don't remember exactly how much. But with a coupon I remember it was around $175? The SUV had more power definitely afterwards.

SO in conclusion, I would not hesitate to own another. The "cost" of ownership is really minimal if you calculate it over the 13 years and over the 280K+ miles. Also if you compare to the European brands, this is much more reasonable and costs WAY LESS AND LESS HEADACHES!!!

Also if you use a good Indy for service, your cost will likely be cut tremendously. Even with a Toyota dealership, it will be less. You just need to find a good one. I would ask around and find an Indy who works on lots of LC's and Toyota in general.

Towards the end I felt the SUV was approaching the magic mark of 300K miles. From my reading and research, Toyota tested it's LC's to some 300K miles in all types of operating conditions BEFORE an engine and transmission overhaul was needed. So we decided not to gamble and traded it in for a brand new LX 570 in 2013. The 2013 LX 570 had most of the modern day electronics, like bluetooth, which was seriously lacking in our old LX470.
Thanks!! How do you like the newer one? If the two were both new sitting side by side, what are the biggest differences you see in the two? Or not a ton, besides the tech? Specifically, some say they found the older one either smoother or better handling? Here are the things I'd be curious to know in comparision: ride quality, quietness, wind noise, overall comfort. One thing that does drive me crazy with Lexus is how quickly the seats wear, especially at the bolster where you slide in and out. How's yours doing?
Thanks! Justin
The following users liked this post:
Jangles (01-24-18)
Old 12-05-17, 01:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I felt my old 2000 LX470 was "smoother" than our new 2013 LX570. HOWEVER, the old LX470 WAS way under powered vs the new LX570. THIS MAYBE due to the differences in bigger wheels for the new LX570 with the lower profile tires. This can be EASILY remedied by changing wheels and tires combo. I'm too lazy to go about it, so OEM wheels and tires stay. We use our LX570 MAINLY for highway travels. It's smooth enough for us.

Our old LX470's interior was VERY GOOD at the end when we traded in. NO TEARS AND NO FADING. About one year before trading in, a fairly new Nissan Maxima rear ended our old LX470 on an exit ramp while we were stopped waiting to exit. The impact TOTALED the Maxima with it's entire front end crumpled as it went under our old LX470. While our old LX470 only had seemly superficial scratches. When the insurance adjuster and later confirmed with the body shop, the welding points on the trailer hitch was pushed in and off spec by some 3 mm. No frame damage. All parts replaced. The adjuster made a comment about how my old LX470's leather interior was in such an excellent condition. Keep in mind I had my three kids from infants in car seats and grew up to teenagers in that old LX470 (this was our main vehicle back then). So the interior definitely had some real world usage. We do clean up with just clean water damp cloth at least once every two weeks or so and only used leather cleaners/conditioners once a year. Our new LX570 so far only has some 25K miles as we have other vehicles to drive around now. I can see a slight wear (just a slight wrinkle, but no tears) on the driver's seat least side where the seat bolster is located. Also the new LX570 was treated with some "treatment" by the dealership when new as part of some Protection Package. The old LX470 had NOTHING. So in conclusion I think the old LX470's interior was longer wearing. But then again, the old LX470 DID NOT have the "perforated leather".

Overall, I think if I had to do it all over again, the new LX570 WINS!!! ONE MAJOR reason is it's advances in safety. The other reasons is all the modern conveniences/electronics which made it a Lexus AND more power vs the old LX570.

AS far as operating costs.......it is what it is.......you got to look at it for the long haul.......over time it is not too bad. I mean everything is relative. Sure one can go and get a "prior gen Nissan Armada" (or CURRENT gen Nissan Armada) and the initial acquisition cost is way lower plus the operating costs is lower too. But I can assure you it WON'T drive nor feel the same. True, it will still get you from point A to B.

Earlier yesterday we just had our LX570 serviced at a Toyota dealership. We had an alignment (We had uneven front tires wear which we had to go ahead and get 4 new tires) and brake fluid flush done. The total cost for BOTH including tax was $175 (we had coupons from that Toyota dealership website) !!! The alignment alone at a Lexus stealership is $225!! The brake fluid flush at the Lexus stealership is $175! The Toyota dealership was within 10 minutes while the Lexus Stealership was over 1.5 hours away with traffic. So no brainer. Initially there were some confusion if that Toyota dealership can do the alignment, but after talking to it's master tech who is very familiar with Lexus LX570 assured me it is no problems at all.

One more thing..... The AHC hydraulic fluid needs to be changed every 60K miles, if I remember correctly. This was timely done on our old LX470. IF NOT DONE, your ride will not be as smooth as when new. I remembered way back while initially looking for an Indy shop to do the AHC fluid change, the Indy shop just straight up told me they are not familiar with this and I will be the first one. Needless to say, I ran away and had a major SoCal Lexus stealership do it. It is more involved than one might think to do a complete AHC fluid change as per official Lexus manual.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by jholder
Thanks!! How do you like the newer one? If the two were both new sitting side by side, what are the biggest differences you see in the two? Or not a ton, besides the tech? Specifically, some say they found the older one either smoother or better handling? Here are the things I'd be curious to know in comparision: ride quality, quietness, wind noise, overall comfort. One thing that does drive me crazy with Lexus is how quickly the seats wear, especially at the bolster where you slide in and out. How's yours doing?
Thanks! Justin
Jangles (01-24-18)
Old 12-27-17, 07:57 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LX470 requires regular maintenance, but the cost/yr is reasonable. The AHC fluid change at 60k is important, and even though the fluid does not look bad, the ride is smoother after replacing. I do it myself (ih8mud has good tech info). The rear brake pads wear quicker than the front. The rest of the maintenance is similar to other vehicles we have owned. The parts on the LX are heavy duty, so will last longer before breaking down. Our 01LX is going strong at 250k and the exterior and interior still look very nice.

The 05 will have the 5 spd trans and VGRS steering which are nice features. It is the last year before the VVTi engine was introduced in 06, which gives more power, but added complexity. The 4.7L is very "easy" on oil, so is not bothered by the sludge problems on smaller engines. The LX is an amazing travel vehicle. Besides handling all manner of road conditions, the AHC adjusts the load so the vehicle always rides the same. Many times I have forgotten the load I was carrying until braking, even on curvy roads, because I adjust the AVS variable suspension toward Sport with a load which reduces the leaning. One benefit of the 470 over the 570 is the rear seats are easy to remove to have added space in back.

Regular maintenance, especially at a Lexus dealer means the records are available to see the repair and maintenance history.
Jangles (01-24-18)
Old 03-12-20, 09:51 PM
UBMGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LXPearl
The LX470 requires regular maintenance, but the cost/yr is reasonable. The AHC fluid change at 60k is important, and even though the fluid does not look bad, the ride is smoother after replacing. I do it myself (ih8mud has good tech info). The rear brake pads wear quicker than the front. The rest of the maintenance is similar to other vehicles we have owned. The parts on the LX are heavy duty, so will last longer before breaking down. Our 01LX is going strong at 250k and the exterior and interior still look very nice.

The 05 will have the 5 spd trans and VGRS steering which are nice features. It is the last year before the VVTi engine was introduced in 06, which gives more power, but added complexity. The 4.7L is very "easy" on oil, so is not bothered by the sludge problems on smaller engines. The LX is an amazing travel vehicle. Besides handling all manner of road conditions, the AHC adjusts the load so the vehicle always rides the same. Many times I have forgotten the load I was carrying until braking, even on curvy roads, because I adjust the AVS variable suspension toward Sport with a load which reduces the leaning. One benefit of the 470 over the 570 is the rear seats are easy to remove to have added space in back.

Regular maintenance, especially at a Lexus dealer means the records are available to see the repair and maintenance history.
Can anyone validate if maintenance done at a Toyota dealership will show up on Lexus Drivers Service History?
Old 03-13-20, 02:54 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by UBMGS
Can anyone validate if maintenance done at a Toyota dealership will show up on Lexus Drivers Service History?
I've had a service advisor tell me that it would, and another said not possible...You could call and speak with somebody at Lexus corporate...lexus.com.

Did the truck get delivered yet??
Old 03-13-20, 04:14 PM
UBMGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I've had a service advisor tell me that it would, and another said not possible...You could call and speak with somebody at Lexus corporate...lexus.com.

Did the truck get delivered yet??
Not yet. Wednesday next week.
Old 03-13-20, 07:09 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I felt my old 2000 LX470 was "smoother" than our new 2013 LX570. HOWEVER, the old LX470 WAS way under powered vs the new LX570. THIS MAYBE due to the differences in bigger wheels for the new LX570 with the lower profile tires. This can be EASILY remedied by changing wheels and tires combo. I'm too lazy to go about it, so OEM wheels and tires stay. We use our LX570 MAINLY for highway travels. It's smooth enough for us.

Our old LX470's interior was VERY GOOD at the end when we traded in. NO TEARS AND NO FADING. About one year before trading in, a fairly new Nissan Maxima rear ended our old LX470 on an exit ramp while we were stopped waiting to exit. The impact TOTALED the Maxima with it's entire front end crumpled as it went under our old LX470. While our old LX470 only had seemly superficial scratches. When the insurance adjuster and later confirmed with the body shop, the welding points on the trailer hitch was pushed in and off spec by some 3 mm. No frame damage. All parts replaced. The adjuster made a comment about how my old LX470's leather interior was in such an excellent condition. Keep in mind I had my three kids from infants in car seats and grew up to teenagers in that old LX470 (this was our main vehicle back then). So the interior definitely had some real world usage. We do clean up with just clean water damp cloth at least once every two weeks or so and only used leather cleaners/conditioners once a year. Our new LX570 so far only has some 25K miles as we have other vehicles to drive around now. I can see a slight wear (just a slight wrinkle, but no tears) on the driver's seat least side where the seat bolster is located. Also the new LX570 was treated with some "treatment" by the dealership when new as part of some Protection Package. The old LX470 had NOTHING. So in conclusion I think the old LX470's interior was longer wearing. But then again, the old LX470 DID NOT have the "perforated leather".

Overall, I think if I had to do it all over again, the new LX570 WINS!!! ONE MAJOR reason is it's advances in safety. The other reasons is all the modern conveniences/electronics which made it a Lexus AND more power vs the old LX570.

AS far as operating costs.......it is what it is.......you got to look at it for the long haul.......over time it is not too bad. I mean everything is relative. Sure one can go and get a "prior gen Nissan Armada" (or CURRENT gen Nissan Armada) and the initial acquisition cost is way lower plus the operating costs is lower too. But I can assure you it WON'T drive nor feel the same. True, it will still get you from point A to B.

Earlier yesterday we just had our LX570 serviced at a Toyota dealership. We had an alignment (We had uneven front tires wear which we had to go ahead and get 4 new tires) and brake fluid flush done. The total cost for BOTH including tax was $175 (we had coupons from that Toyota dealership website) !!! The alignment alone at a Lexus stealership is $225!! The brake fluid flush at the Lexus stealership is $175! The Toyota dealership was within 10 minutes while the Lexus Stealership was over 1.5 hours away with traffic. So no brainer. Initially there were some confusion if that Toyota dealership can do the alignment, but after talking to it's master tech who is very familiar with Lexus LX570 assured me it is no problems at all.

One more thing..... The AHC hydraulic fluid needs to be changed every 60K miles, if I remember correctly. This was timely done on our old LX470. IF NOT DONE, your ride will not be as smooth as when new. I remembered way back while initially looking for an Indy shop to do the AHC fluid change, the Indy shop just straight up told me they are not familiar with this and I will be the first one. Needless to say, I ran away and had a major SoCal Lexus stealership do it. It is more involved than one might think to do a complete AHC fluid change as per official Lexus manual.
The 100 Series seems "underpowered" v. the 200 series, as it should. Both are about the same weight, but the newer truck gets another 60 cubic inches of displacement. Tire height differences between the two series are not enough to consider.

A complete AHC flush takes 30 to 45 minutes, following the FSM. You may want to find a real indy shop that specializes in Toyota's...I'd run from one not familiar with the AHC system.

OT...and I'd also run from anything described as a "Protection Package"...automatic financial rape and pillage.

Last edited by hankinid; 03-13-20 at 07:56 PM.