LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Anything I should look for on my new to me 00 LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 07:25 AM
JohnLX26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything I should look for on my new to me 00 LX

Very excited to finally drive an LX / Land Cruiser, always wanted one of these and finally was able to find one.

Picked up an 00 LX470 w/ 120k miles from Toyota dealership. It came in as a trade in. Coming from an 09 Tacoma and so far so good. I have a few questions..

1. Unfortunately, I found out after my purchase that 2000 with the transmission failure year. Anything I can do to help keep an eye on this? I know this can get expensive..

2. I have the LX with Mark Levinson speaker and tape deck - Can I get a bluetooth audio unit with the stock speakers?

3. I looked at the service records on Lexus website. I see a 90k mile service.. it doesn't say anything about the timing belt.. does anyone know if it should state that? Trying to decide if I should just get it done for peace of mind.

Here's what I'm seeing:
REPORTED BY: Dolan Lexus
SERVICE: 90000 MILE SERVICE
DESCRIPTION: 90000 MILE SERVICE ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS 90000 MILE SERVICE ~ ~SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE DUE TO TIME OR MILEAGE ~ ~90000 MILE SERVICE PERFORMED
SERVICE: RECOMMENDED MAINT
DESCRIPTION: RECOMMENDED MAINT ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~REPLACE BOTH FRONT CV BOOT CLAMPS
SERVICE: WINDSHIELD WIPERS
DESCRIPTION: WINDSHIELD WIPERS ~ ~REPLACE WIPER INSERTS ~ ~. . ~ ~REPLACED WIPER INSERTS

Then 30k miles later I see:
SERVICE: OIL CHANGE
DESCRIPTION: OIL CHANGE ~ ~REPLACE OIL & FILTER, CHECK BELTS, HOSES, FLUIDS & TIRE PRESSURE ~ ~SERVICE ~ ~PERFORMED SERVICE

4. Anything else I should look into? Few trips coming up so just wanna get this thing rollin smooth!!
Old 10-28-17, 07:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/100-series-cruisers.26/

For all your LX470 info and questions.
Old 10-30-17, 03:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JohnLX26
Very excited to finally drive an LX / Land Cruiser, always wanted one of these and finally was able to find one.

Picked up an 00 LX470 w/ 120k miles from Toyota dealership. It came in as a trade in. Coming from an 09 Tacoma and so far so good. I have a few questions..

1. Unfortunately, I found out after my purchase that 2000 with the transmission failure year. Anything I can do to help keep an eye on this? I know this can get expensive..

2. I have the LX with Mark Levinson speaker and tape deck - Can I get a bluetooth audio unit with the stock speakers?

3. I looked at the service records on Lexus website. I see a 90k mile service.. it doesn't say anything about the timing belt.. does anyone know if it should state that? Trying to decide if I should just get it done for peace of mind.

Here's what I'm seeing:
REPORTED BY: Dolan Lexus
SERVICE: 90000 MILE SERVICE
DESCRIPTION: 90000 MILE SERVICE ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS 90000 MILE SERVICE ~ ~SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE DUE TO TIME OR MILEAGE ~ ~90000 MILE SERVICE PERFORMED
SERVICE: RECOMMENDED MAINT
DESCRIPTION: RECOMMENDED MAINT ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~REPLACE BOTH FRONT CV BOOT CLAMPS
SERVICE: WINDSHIELD WIPERS
DESCRIPTION: WINDSHIELD WIPERS ~ ~REPLACE WIPER INSERTS ~ ~. . ~ ~REPLACED WIPER INSERTS

Then 30k miles later I see:
SERVICE: OIL CHANGE
DESCRIPTION: OIL CHANGE ~ ~REPLACE OIL & FILTER, CHECK BELTS, HOSES, FLUIDS & TIRE PRESSURE ~ ~SERVICE ~ ~PERFORMED SERVICE

4. Anything else I should look into? Few trips coming up so just wanna get this thing rollin smooth!!
1. I change the atf once a year or every 15K, whichever's first. Mobil 1 ATF does a good job. If the trans starts to act funky, get it to someone experienced with Toyota autos...probably not your local AAMCO.

2. Check the 100 series tech forum on ih8mud.com.

3. Afaik, the 90K service includes changing the timing belt. You can inspect the belt for newness by simply removing the drivers side cam sprocket cover...top of the engine forward.

4. If the AHC fluid is dark, change or have it changed per the book. I'd also consider R&R for the heater hose Ts...passenger side toward the firewall.

Congratulations and hth.
Old 10-30-17, 09:44 PM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

3. 90k should absolutely include the T-belt. For your own sense of security though, the actual rated life of those belts and associated components is roughly double the 90k interval for the 2UZ. If done at 90k you should never face any failures, but in all reality they're probably good to 180k. I just did a 90k service on my 100 series (255k total miles) and most my original bearings were noisy, but still perfectly functional at 255k. The belt looked perfect. Absolutely zero fraying or cracking. Assuming you don't have any stray leaks or odd problems, that engine is about as reliable as anything.

4. AHC fluid flushes are a good idea. Brake Fluid flushes are a good idea. There's a failure with the ABS pump that can be very expensive to fix. One way to keep it in good shape is to flush brake fluid regularly.