LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2002 lx470 - Torsion Bar Replacement/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 03:04 PM
thomasc71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 lx470 - Torsion Bar Replacement/Upgrade

I just bought the title car with 170K miles on it. The suspension was converted to Bilsteins but I don't believe the torsion bar was replaced/upgraded which I've read should be done which will require you to then adjust to make the car level. Right now the car is drive is kinda loose and doesn't feel safe to the point where the traction control kicks in when on highway graded sloping turns which kinda freaks me out. The front end is visibly lower than the rear.

Question 1: Do I need to upgrade the torsion bar or just adjust the existing OEM? Oh and if upgrade is recommended, what should I upgrade to (where to purchase aka website)?

Question 2: Can anyone educate me on the traction control issue?

Overall I love the vehicle but it needs a couple of tweaks.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thank you even more for providing me with knowledge you may have regarding my situation.
Old 04-02-17, 03:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Check IH8MUD, much more likely to get information there.
Old 04-02-17, 10:42 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasc71
I just bought the title car with 170K miles on it. The suspension was converted to Bilsteins but I don't believe the torsion bar was replaced/upgraded which I've read should be done which will require you to then adjust to make the car level. Right now the car is drive is kinda loose and doesn't feel safe to the point where the traction control kicks in when on highway graded sloping turns which kinda freaks me out. The front end is visibly lower than the rear.

Question 1: Do I need to upgrade the torsion bar or just adjust the existing OEM? Oh and if upgrade is recommended, what should I upgrade to (where to purchase aka website)?

Question 2: Can anyone educate me on the traction control issue?

Overall I love the vehicle but it needs a couple of tweaks.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thank you even more for providing me with knowledge you may have regarding my situation.
1. Assuming PO did not replace front bars or rear springs, the minimum upgrade you need is a set of Land Cruiser bars and springs from around the same year. Correctly adjusted, you'll end up with similar weight carrying ability as the LX when it worked. If you normally drive a truck that's carrying a lot of stuff, you can upgrade capacity by parts from Old Man Emu (OME) and others. If you rarely need extra weight capacity, Firestone air bags with Land Cruiser springs are what I'd recommend. While you're "in there", check the front and rear sway bar linkages and mounting bolts. Rust is not unknown after 15 years.

Sleeoffroad.com sells a full line of suspension upgrades with a lot of tech info to help you educate yourself. I'd address the TC issue if it's still there once correct oem or heavier duty springs and torsion bars are installed, and height set per the book.

More in the 100 series forum on mud.