LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

ABS Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 07:50 AM
01LX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Module

I've got a 01 LX 470 with 170K on it. The BRAKE, VSC, ABS lights are permanently illuminated. Additionally, I had the tranny replaced this summer and ever since I've had an intermittent power loss phenomenon that doesn't seem to happen when I'm in cruise control. I've tried to pinpoint when it might happen,,,,,,,,morning, night, at a certain RPM in a certain gear but it's really arbitrary. I could be driving at 35 MPH or 65 and all of sudden it seems like I hit a 250 MPH head wind. When I back off the pedal and re-apply it all comes back but the power seems pretty sluggish.

I've been to three shops and no one can pull a code but the main computer tests out fine. So they're saying ABS Module and they can't tell me anything more until the module is replaced and they can pull a code. Some major troubleshooting going on with the mechanics these days ! We like this truck but I'm not dumping $2,000 into an ABS Module. The one question I have is if I get a used ABS Module, do I need to have it flashed and who can do it? Do I need to go back to the Lexus shop to get ripped off or are there third parties that can do it if it has to be done at all?

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 01LX; 01-17-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 02:26 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LX
I've got a 01 LX 470 with 170K on it. The BRAKE, VSC, ABS lights are permanently illuminated. Additionally, I had the tranny replaced this summer and ever since I've had an intermittent power loss phenomenon that doesn't seem to happen when I'm in cruise control. I've tried to pinpoint when it might happen,,,,,,,,morning, night, at a certain RPM in a certain gear but it's really arbitrary. I could be driving at 35 MPH or 65 and all of sudden it seems like I hit a 250 MPH head wind. When I back off the pedal and re-apply it all comes back but the power seems pretty sluggish.

I've been to three shops and no one can pull a code but the main computer tests out fine. So they're saying ABS Module and they can't tell me anything more until the module is replaced and they can pull a code. Some major troubleshooting going on with the mechanics these days ! We like this truck but I'm not dumping $2,000 into an ABS Module. The one question I have is if I get a used ABS Module, do I need to have it flashed and who can do it? Do I need to go back to the Lexus shop to get ripped off or are there third parties that can do it if it has to be done at all?

I would pose the questions in the 100 Series on ih8mud.com. ABS modules do not get flashed, but do need Toyota's TIS system to bleed. A Toyota dealer should be able to service the LX. I'm in Idaho so I can't help w/ a good indy shop in PA...again, ask on ih8mud.com.
The following users liked this post:
01LX (01-31-17)
Old 01-31-17, 06:52 AM
01LX
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: Found a used ABS Module for $525. Total plug-n-play....no flashing needed. All lights are gone. Still have a bit of hesitation in low gear/rpm but seems to be only when the engine is cold and it goes away within minutes. I can live with that
Old 06-22-17, 07:12 PM
lnplewis
Driver School Candidate

Default Abs module

same problem. Abs, brake, vsc tracking and vsc off Lights stay on. Techs can't get codes from computer. They think it needs a new abs module. This thread ends with a comment about putting in a used abs module that fixed the problem. I've found one,but I'm not sure it's the same part he replaced. Is it Part no. 8954060160, located under the dash on the left drivers side? Does anyone know? And what does flashing Refer to? Hopefully this is the right part and it is a plug and play change out. $759 for the used part compared to $2100 for a new one.
Old 06-23-17, 10:12 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lnplewis
same problem. Abs, brake, vsc tracking and vsc off Lights stay on. Techs can't get codes from computer. They think it needs a new abs module. This thread ends with a comment about putting in a used abs module that fixed the problem. I've found one,but I'm not sure it's the same part he replaced. Is it Part no. 8954060160, located under the dash on the left drivers side? Does anyone know? And what does flashing Refer to? Hopefully this is the right part and it is a plug and play change out. $759 for the used part compared to $2100 for a new one.
Go to eBay and search for TOYOTA OEM ABS Anti-Lock Brake System-Control Module 8954060160...new for ~ $1600. That obviously assumes you're guessing correctly based on an internet thread.

I'd seek a second opinion for a few reasons...

"Techs can't get codes from computer They think it needs a new abs module." Sounds to me like they hope tossing your money at parts will fix the issue. Are they using Toyota's TIS / Techstream?

Your combination of warning lights can also be present for something completely unrelated to the ABS module. In my '01's case, the wire bundle going from the body to the lower tailgate had 2 wires shorting to the ground wire. Replacing the shorted wiring fixed the issue. Cost was maybe $2-3 for parts and wire, and about an hour of my labor.

hth
Old 03-07-18, 07:01 AM
SmilesHelp
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine too...

UPDATE: Found a used ABS Module for $525. Total plug-n-play....no flashing needed. All lights are gone. Still have a bit of hesitation in low gear/rpm but seems to be only when the engine is cold and it goes away within minutes. I can live with that
I have 2000 LX470. Where is the locatiin of the "plug and play' module? I have the same problem and I'm looking to do the repair myself and I don't have any garage or tools and cant find where it is to put in. Also, I have read where it's this part is referenced to module and also computer. I'm wondering do they mean one in the same? I found on eBay a computer module for $297 and the mechanic told me $1700 for him to do this repair.