LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Advice on Buying a 2000 LX470-250K miles

Old 11-09-16, 06:28 AM
ArseneWeng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Buying a 2000 LX470-250K miles

Hey guys,

I am about to buy a 2000 LX 470 with 250K miles. I got the seller down to $4800. The car is decent cosmetic condition, but needs some touch up. It will at the very least need the bottom portion of the driver's seat replaced as it's worn to to high hell.

Mechanically speaking, it looks like the seller(3rd) owner has done the maintenance at Lexus and some independent shops. I couldn't see anything wrong with the car visually. Maybe some oil leaking from the valve covers, but I figure that was expected at 250k miles. What should major repairs/maintenance should have been done to mechanically to keep it ticking? Also, how reliable is the air suspension? I've read some doom and gloom stories. I would greatly appreciate anything you guys would recommend.

About me: I currently own a 2010 IS250, owned a 99 RX330, but more importantly, I've been a long time creeper of the forums! Lastly, I am getting this a second car for me and my old man. He wants a second car to drive around town, and I figure I would take it to the mountains occasionally. I've always loved this car and wanted to own one!
Old 11-09-16, 09:43 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

that's a great price, I can't find 2000's under $8k either a LC or LX model.
Figure you spend an extra $1500 in reconditioning (mechanically and cosmetically) and you should be ok.

At 250k miles, check on the belts, i'd explore a spark plug change and change out all the fluids (brake, differential, tranny) which I'd guess is $500-$700. The rest goes towards the cosmetic side of it.

Air suspension two schools of thought.....but if it's lasted 250k miles... =)
Old 11-09-16, 10:00 AM
ArseneWeng
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Wandl! I appreciate your input! I'll definitely double check all those points you brought up.
Old 11-09-16, 05:57 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ArseneWeng
Hey guys,
What should major repairs/maintenance should have been done to mechanically to keep it ticking? Also, how reliable is the air suspension? I've read some doom and gloom stories. I would greatly appreciate anything you guys would recommend.
I'd start here http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm and once I absorbed that, I'd check out https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100...-trucks.30754/ .

You should be able to view and / or print an owner's manual from the owners section on lexus.com. The timing belt and water pump get changed every 90K..."while you're in there" stuff may include a fan clutch, serp belt idler, serp belt tensioner, crank and / cam seals, etc. At 250K, you're looking at that maintenance item pretty soon. AHC FLUID needs bleeding / flushing every 60K...it is definitely NOT a pneumatic system.

You read doom and gloom as to the AHC simply because very few people will post how reliable the system is...and that's the majority of owners. We have an '01 with 180K and AHC pressures I checked 3 months ago with a TB change were dead nominal between minimum and maximum. Take a close look at the heater hose T's near the rear of the engine. Not uncommon to have them disintegrate around 100K.

Buy a shop manual, should be < $150. Best money you'll spend if you diy. If you take it to a dealer or indy shop, it explains what's should be done and gives you just enough knowledge to ask very pointed questions to the service person is something doesn't sound right. Finally, do not go cheap on parts. The truck got to 250K because previous owner(s) didn't buy their parts at War-Mart.

hth and post pics...
Old 11-21-16, 07:45 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default Lx470

Thats a great deal . As they mention check the Ahc system by lifting it up to see if it holds pressure. The transmission is the next big thing. As you can can feel the transmission has to propell such a big tank down the HIGHWAY . Check rear ac system to see if its working ,im not sure if those years came with it. I can say this these are the best SUV for the money but its not cheap either .
Old 11-21-16, 09:12 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls4
Thats a great deal . As they mention check the Ahc system by lifting it up to see if it holds pressure. The transmission is the next big thing. As you can can feel the transmission has to propell such a big tank down the HIGHWAY . Check rear ac system to see if its working ,im not sure if those years came with it. I can say this these are the best SUV for the money but its not cheap either .
I'd do an AHC check as a baseline. That means hooking up to Toyota software. Lifting it up "to see if it hold pressure" is OK in your driveway, but without TIS you have zero knowledge as to whether the pressure is too high, too low, or where it should be.