LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

First LX 470 - Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 08:50 AM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First LX 470 - Recommendation

As the family grows I'm looking to buy an LX 470 as a second car. It will be mainly used as a weekend getaway vehicle.I’ve found a 1999 with 125K miles that looks ok, most of the stuff working, however the owner replaced the original suspension with the strutmaster coil/shocks. Not sure if that is an improvement or a handicap.I’ve found others in craigslist like this newer but for a higher price and higher miles:http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5759968228.html

Would you give preference for a newer model with original items or fewer miles ? Does the 5 speed transmission makes a big improvement ? I’ve read the newbie guide at: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm and will try to inspect all this points as possible.
Old 10-29-16, 12:33 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking for one myself.

Owners on here (and the '98-'07 TLC/LX470 section of the forum where we are often directed to 'ih8mud'), say the 5 speed makes a big difference, so yes, the big refresh '03-'07 models are the more coveted ones. Many also prefer to avoid the more complex VVT '06-'07 equipped models, although there is a workaround for maybe $200(?).

Skip
Old 10-29-16, 12:40 PM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

Looks like we are on the same area looking for the same car.
Old 10-29-16, 02:31 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charlesrg
Looks like we are on the same area looking for the same car.
We live in the Rochester-Niagara Falls-Buffalo corridor, and the road salt obviously does a number on vehicles up here.

I'm hoping to come across one someone brought here from a non-snowy region.
Old 10-29-16, 03:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

As the family grows I'm looking to buy an LX 470 as a second car. It will be mainly used as a weekend getaway vehicle.I’ve found a 1999 with 125K miles that looks ok, most of the stuff working, however the owner replaced the original suspension with the strutmaster coil/shocks. Not sure if that is an improvement or a handicap.I’ve found others in craigslist like this newer but for a higher price and higher miles:http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5759968228.html

Would you give preference for a newer model with original items or fewer miles ? Does the 5 speed transmission makes a big improvement ? I’ve read the newbie guide at: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm and will try to inspect all this points as possible.
You're 6 jumps ahead of the next guy simply by checking Slee's newbie guide. The 5 speed does make a good improvement (coming from someone who has an '01 with 4-speed). I know nothing of Strutmaster coil-overs...so I personally would therefore avoid one.

When looking for my 2, I broadened my outlook, a lot. I looked from WA down to DFW. Found the '01 in Bend, OR. Drove up with a bud, checked it out, and drove it home. No unscheduled maintenance after my and wife adding another 90K. Second was in Spokane, flew up, paid with a check, drove home. 10K and 13 months later, no surprises. Rust for me is an immediate pass, the color black is also a deal-breaker.

I'd look for one from someplace other than the rust belt, and / or states that like to use salt in the winter.

Originally Posted by wnyjazz
Looking for one myself.

Owners on here (and the '98-'07 TLC/LX470 section of the forum where we are often directed to 'ih8mud'), say the 5 speed makes a big difference, so yes, the big refresh '03-'07 models are the more coveted ones. Many also prefer to avoid the more complex VVT '06-'07 equipped models, although there is a workaround for maybe $200(?).

Skip
I sometimes direct to mud as it has a lot more traffic...helpful if you have a question or concern and can't get a response here.

The "workaround" for VVTI engines relates to the smog pump. It consists of a couple of blocking plates to the pump from the exhaust manifolds, and iirc some electronic gizmo's to fool the engine ECU that nothing has been disconnected.

We live in the Rochester-Niagara Falls-Buffalo corridor, and the road salt obviously does a number on vehicles up here.
I'm hoping to come across one someone brought here from a non-snowy region.
FAR more likely you'll find one in a non-salty region than a car from the region finding you. As my local Lexus sales guy says, "these aren't Corolla's"...you don't find dozen's for sale on CL or classifieds or the web. I'd have my financing squared away and be willing to drive or fly on short notice.
Old 10-29-16, 04:27 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hankinid

FAR more likely you'll find one in a non-salty region than a car from the region finding you. As my local Lexus sales guy says, "these aren't Corolla's"...you don't find dozen's for sale on CL or classifieds or the web. I'd have my financing squared away and be willing to drive or fly on short notice.
Right.

I can't fly right now, so that limits things somewhat.

As much as I'd like an '05, there are some other vehicles that I'd be ok with for awhile.

And yes, the Slee is good. Long live the Slee!
Old 10-31-16, 07:45 AM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

You're 6 jumps ahead of the next guy simply by checking Slee's newbie guide. The 5 speed does make a good improvement (coming from someone who has an '01 with 4-speed). I know nothing of Strutmaster coil-overs...so I personally would therefore avoid one.

When looking for my 2, I broadened my outlook, a lot. I looked from WA down to DFW. Found the '01 in Bend, OR. Drove up with a bud, checked it out, and drove it home. No unscheduled maintenance after my and wife adding another 90K. Second was in Spokane, flew up, paid with a check, drove home. 10K and 13 months later, no surprises. Rust for me is an immediate pass, the color black is also a deal-breaker.

I'd look for one from someplace other than the rust belt, and / or states that like to use salt in the winter.

I sometimes direct to mud as it has a lot more traffic...helpful if you have a question or concern and can't get a response here.

The "workaround" for VVTI engines relates to the smog pump. It consists of a couple of blocking plates to the pump from the exhaust manifolds, and iirc some electronic gizmo's to fool the engine ECU that nothing has been disconnected.

Hankind so far the 2004+ that I've found have a much higher price, to go from 1999 4 speed to 2004 5 speed with the same miles is going to cost me around $5K, it feels like the amount of extra gas spent in 4 years with the car will be less than that. Most of my miles will be highway it will probably reving a tad higher to stay on 79mph sipping more gas.
Old 10-31-16, 03:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Hankind so far the 2004+ that I've found have a much higher price, to go from 1999 4 speed to 2004 5 speed with the same miles is going to cost me around $5K, it feels like the amount of extra gas spent in 4 years with the car will be less than that. Most of my miles will be highway it will probably reving a tad higher to stay on 79mph sipping more gas.
Looks like < $1K per year...which you'll probably get some of back if / when you sell the LX. I doubt you'll see a major change in mpg...~ a 3-ton truck geared for its intended purpose...i.e., very low. My '13 Land Cruiser does about 1 mpg better over a year...if you worry about mpg on either a 100 or 200 series, you'll drive yourself crazy, quickly.

The 5-speed does give you overdrive rpm on freeways that's easier on the engine, long term. Sweep spot for the LX is 75-80 mph. With a 6-speed, the Land Cruiser goes all day at 80 mph...tach shows it just a bit over 2000 rpm.

Last edited by hankinid; 11-04-16 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 02:08 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Here is an excellent appearing one-owner 2000 if anyone is interested.

Price is $9800.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5811712163.html
Old 11-01-16, 02:15 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Here is an excellent appearing one-owner 2000 if anyone is interested.

Price is $9800.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5811712163.html
To say that truck is in a very desirable zip-code would be putting it mildly. Plug the vin into the owners section on Lexus.com and you can see any and all dealer service info since the truck was first delivered. Price looks very good, though for me, black would be a deal breaker.
Old 11-01-16, 02:31 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

To say that truck is in a very desirable zip-code would be putting it mildly. Plug the vin into the owners section on Lexus.com and you can see any and all dealer service info since the truck was first delivered. Price looks very good, though for me, black would be a deal breaker.
I didn't check the history on that one, but here is the shortcut: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 11-05-16, 08:24 PM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

just found this one: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5836910810.html a bit over my budget but it looks pristine.
Old 11-05-16, 09:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just saw one come up in the Jamestown area for $4k on the Buffalo CL. Probably not the cleanest, but I am curious to see what $4K gets you.
Old 11-06-16, 08:16 AM
DrHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine a couple weeks ago in Tulsa. I was actually looking for: Toyota (of course), V8, 4WD, <$7K. This was the first one I found. 211K miles and pretty solid.

Old 11-06-16, 09:35 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Congrats...looks good.

What made you feel confident in buying one with those miles?

Quick Reply: First LX 470 - Recommendation