LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Questions on buying a 2001 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 06:44 AM
chattyRX35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on buying a 2001 LX470

I'm looking at a 2001 LX470. It looks to be in great cosmetic shape, and has 161k miles. I have a few questions:
1. The dealer says the AHC works only sporadically. I have read about the problems with the AHC, would it be fine to buy if I could get it to stay in normal height all the time? I know about switching to LC suspension, but that wouldn't be in the budget for now (neither is repairing the AHC).
2. Timing belt has never been done on the truck. Should this be a concern at 161k? If I bought it, the timing belt would be replaced right away, but can it shorten the life of the motor since it's not ever been done?
3. During the summer I tow a boat/trailer that are approximately 5,000 lbs. This LX has the tow hitch under the bumper, so I assume it's rated for 6,500 lbs? Does the LX need an external trans cooler near sea level on non-mountainous roads?
Thanks!
Old 10-03-16, 08:08 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by chattyRX35
I'm looking at a 2001 LX470. It looks to be in great cosmetic shape, and has 161k miles. I have a few questions:
1. The dealer says the AHC works only sporadically. I have read about the problems with the AHC, would it be fine to buy if I could get it to stay in normal height all the time? I know about switching to LC suspension, but that wouldn't be in the budget for now (neither is repairing the AHC).
2. Timing belt has never been done on the truck. Should this be a concern at 161k? If I bought it, the timing belt would be replaced right away, but can it shorten the life of the motor since it's not ever been done?
3. During the summer I tow a boat/trailer that are approximately 5,000 lbs. This LX has the tow hitch under the bumper, so I assume it's rated for 6,500 lbs? Does the LX need an external trans cooler near sea level on non-mountainous roads?
Thanks!
1. AHC working part-time will not fix itself. If switching to LC bars and springs is not possible, nor is fixing the AHC, not sure what you'll do. Does dealer have any idea as to why the AHC is not working? If not, pay for a pre-purchase inspection at a dealer or indy shop not involved in the sale.

2. If the timing belt has not yet been done (recommended interval every 90K), you might check for other required maintenance items that have also been ignored. Register at the owners' section on lexus.com, input the vin, and see what's happened or not happened. You can also download an owners manual there.

3. Tow rating is 6500 lbs. max, 500 lbs. max weight on the hitch itself. You'll obviously need a brake controller. The LX has a fluid to water cooler as well as an air to oil cooler for the trans.
Old 10-03-16, 02:27 PM
chattyRX35
Driver School Candidate

Switching to LC suspension is possible, just not right away. It would be a few months.
How does the AHC work? Manually through the switch? Or does it auto level when towing?
My trailer has surge brakes on it, so no need for a controller.

Last edited by chattyRX35; 10-03-16 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added sentence
Old 10-03-16, 03:15 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Switching to LC suspension is possible, just not right away. It would be a few months.
How does the AHC work? Manually through the switch? Or does it auto level when towing?
My trailer has surge brakes on it, so no need for a controller.
AHC is on all the time. It will level automatically, assuming you follow the 500 lbs. max on the hitch rating.
Old 10-03-16, 03:49 PM
chattyRX35
Driver School Candidate

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you know if/when it's working?
Would $10k be too much for this LX with the AHC issue and timing belt needing to be done? All other maintenance is up to date.
Old 10-04-16, 11:10 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Would $10k be too much for this LX with the AHC issue and timing belt needing to be done? All other maintenance is up to date.
You know it's working if it regularly adjusts height of truck v. weight in or on truck. You can also take it to a shop with toyota software and read the pressures on all 4 corners.

You stated in your first post that the dealer noted the AHC was intermittent.

Did they say why? If not, why not??

As to value, that's up to you to decide. You might ask the same question in the 100 series forum on ih8mud.com. It would be helpful to post your location, as value is different based on region, and you can expect value to increase somewhat as winter approaches...we had snow in the mountains yesterday.
Old 10-04-16, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks!
This is an absolute horrible idea to the buy this SUV. The timing belt has not been done, so who knows what else hasn't? It will not shorten the life of the motor but it should of been done at 90K. As for the AHC, the system is now 15 years old and will continue to age, it needs to be working correctly.

What I would look for is a well maintained Toyota Land Cruiser that does not have the AHC system.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-04-16 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 03:48 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is an absolute horrible idea to the buy this SUV. The timing belt has not been done, so who knows what else hasn't? It will not shorten the life of the motor but it should of been done at 90K. As for the AHC, the system is not 15 years old and will continue to age, it needs to be working correctly.

What I would look for is a well maintained Toyota Land Cruiser that does not have the AHC system.
I don't disagree.

Iirc, 100 series Cruisers did not get AHC until 2006 or 2007. If it came on a Cruiser, it was an optional feature.
Old 10-05-16, 01:31 PM
chattyRX35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
You know it's working if it regularly adjusts height of truck v. weight in or on truck. You can also take it to a shop with toyota software and read the pressures on all 4 corners.

You stated in your first post that the dealer noted the AHC was intermittent.

Did they say why? If not, why not??

As to value, that's up to you to decide. You might ask the same question in the 100 series forum on ih8mud.com. It would be helpful to post your location, as value is different based on region, and you can expect value to increase somewhat as winter approaches...we had snow in the mountains yesterday.
He said he didn't check out AHC because he spent $850 on it already servicing all other fluids and brakes. He offered to do the timing belt and water pump for $500. I am in southeast TN, but the truck is in middle TN. The carfax shows fairly regular servicing at a lexus dealership. It even shows the AHC fluid being serviced at 75k miles. I don't know why the timing belt was skipped.
Old 10-07-16, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What his the asking price for this LX470?
Old 10-08-16, 05:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What his the asking price for this LX470?
Post #6...$10K-ish.
Old 10-08-16, 09:47 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this truck have timing chain or belt? I think it has timing chain due the heavy towing it has to pull. In addition, I looked at 90,000miles service for 2015 does not indicate the timing belt, but inspect driving belt. That might be the reason the owner did not change the timing chain/belt.
Old 10-08-16, 11:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

100 series with a 4.7l gas engine have a timing BELT...always have.

Which truck are you talking about...the thread is about a 2001 LX. You're talking about service for a 2015 LX...200 series sold in North America have timing chains. That's why maintenance doesn't include the timing belt. The "drive" belt is the one you see when you open the hood moving the fan, alternator, etc.

Towing ability has zero to do with whether the vehicle has a timing chain or a timing belt. Chains are usually gtg for the life of the truck, Toyota recommends timing belt replacement at 90K. Previous owner probably did not change the belt due to labor cost.
Old 10-11-16, 10:20 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2001 LX will handle the 5000 lb trailer. The AHC will adjust automatically to level the LX. The timing chain needs to be replaced asap, but they have been known to last even longer than 161k. Since it was serviced at Lexus, the cost was probably a deterrent; est. $1300, and usually do more than just the timing belt - seals, water pump, drive belt. It is a good sign the AHC fluid was serviced at Lexus, so it probably was done right. It should be changed every 60k though. It is not hard to do yourself and makes a difference in the ride.

The AHC has a weight limit and cold weather can tax it. Traveling in summer should be better for LX with the trailer and gear on board the LX. Winter could cause it to sink into the low position. If this happened, we would stop, get out of LX, raise it to Normal, then get back in and continue our journey.

However, since you have not decided on the LX yet, when pulling a trailer, the 5 speed would be quite welcome. The 03 & up is when the 5 sp was offered and that has the most positive impact for your use for not much more money. The torque is pretty much the same on all the LX470s, so the 5 speed is the big difference for pulling a trailer. The 03-05 came with an integrated hitch in the bumper; but you will want one with a separate hitch, like on the other years (98-02 & 06-07); some had them installed.
Old 11-21-16, 08:56 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default lx470

That price seems close to being fair . The Ahc can be tested by turning it to high shut the engine off. Then see if it lifts up and hold its pressure , being all four corner are at a even height . See if its blinking low normal or high will usually state where the problem at. The timming belt issue nust go on lexusdriver and imput the vin itll tell you all the service record. Then if you have concern just call the dealer that it was serviced at . Im almost sure that if one can afford this truck new ,they will do the maintenance and timming belt is not a option . If your talking about towing. I just towed a 5k lbs trailer for 4 hours in the hills of nc and sc to Atlanta with no issue . The lx is that great of a rig ,its so heavy its unnoticable ,and the 4.7 tundra motor does great . its got almost a 1k lbs tongue limit so its really good . I have seen people tow more than its recommended weight, dued to Toyota underwieght their towing capacity.

Quick Reply: Questions on buying a 2001 LX470