LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

3 console buttons do not illuminate

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 05:52 PM
elpietri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 console buttons do not illuminate

2005 LX-470; the labels on the 3 buttons at the bottom of the front console do not light up in night mode--green light. They turn on fine, and the light in them (amber) light up as well when turned on, but the green night light do no illuminate the labels. These are the rear defogger, rear blower, and side mirrors heater.

Situation: I do not remember when they stopped lighting up, but the last thing I did was install the SL3B bluetooth interface. After I noticed it, I opened up the console again to see if I had pinched any hardness or left any connector unplugged. All was solid and connected. I did not unplug the SL3B bluetooth because that connects to the back of the radio/tape and did not think it would have anything to do with it. However, something weird happened. At some point during my investigation, and while the console was opened, 2 of the 3 green lights came on! The ignition switch was in Acc mode. After I turned it to off position, before putting everything back together; the 2 green lights STAYED ON!! No other night lights were on in the interior. I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I put everything back together. After that, the lights went off!

I took apart the small pc board behind those 3 switches and took it to the Lexus dealer, thinking that the micro bulbs were bad, but those bulbs are not available separately. They come with the pc board. Actually, it appears as if that whole bottom piece is supposed to stay as a whole module. I guess I went too far taking every little thing apart.

It still bothers me, so I am thinking on taking everything apart again at some point, but need some direction/ideas on what to check next.

I'll unplug the bluetooth and see if that is the culprit, but if not, what else should I check while I'm in there?