LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Another GX470 vs LX470 Comparo...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 07:53 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another GX470 vs LX470 Comparo...

HI Guys,

Apologies for starting another GX 470 vs LX 470 thread, however i did read through some of the threads and have some sort of understanding between the two, however hers is my question for GX/LX owners.

2006 LX470 - 130K Miles , single owner
2005 GX470 - 80K Miles - 2 previous owners

I recently bought my first Lexus 2013 CT 200h F sport and it's been great so far, so much so that i am now thinking about replacing my 06 X5 4.8is with either a LX or GX.

What do you guys think? Is the high miles on LX a concern?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
​Jay

Note : I posted similar thread in the GX forum.
Old 08-31-16, 09:05 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
HI Guys,

Apologies for starting another GX 470 vs LX 470 thread, however i did read through some of the threads and have some sort of understanding between the two, however hers is my question for GX/LX owners.

2006 LX470 - 130K Miles , single owner
2005 GX470 - 80K Miles - 2 previous owners

What do you guys think? Is the high miles on LX a concern?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
​Jay
My thoughts...

Have you input the VIN on the Lexus owners website to see maintenance records on both trucks?

High mileage on the LX would not bother me, assuming the truck was maintained per or better than Toyota's schedule...that would include the AHC system as well as the transmission.

You might also ask yourself if you need the space that the 100 series gives you v. the 4-Runner clone.

I don't own a GX simply because 2 adults, 2 dogs, and camping / backpacking gear for all wouldn't fit into a GX. LX is also better off-road since its parent is a Land Cruiser.
Old 08-31-16, 09:14 AM
jbny
Driver

Thanks Hankinid,

The GX has the car fax and has been bought and maintained at the same dealership , it has all the records. I am still waiting on the VIN for the LX and once i have it, I will run it though the Lexus website.

Space wise I think either will fit my needs.

Any reliability concerns that might tip it in favor of GX/LX or do they have the same exact mechanicals?

Thanks for your help
Jay
Old 08-31-16, 12:37 PM
jbny
Driver

Got the VIN, so from the Lexus Drivers website it looks like all work was done at the Lexus Dealership till date, however i keep seeing recurring ac blowing hot air issue, is this a known issue in the LX?

Also in the 90k service as per the site it says

SERVICE: REPLACE TIMING BELT
DESCRIPTION:

Nothing in Description field, does it mean it was done or not, I will ask the seller when i meet him but is this something i can confirm from Lexus Drives Website?

Thanks all for your help
Old 08-31-16, 03:08 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Got the VIN, so from the Lexus Drivers website it looks like all work was done at the Lexus Dealership till date, however i keep seeing recurring ac blowing hot air issue, is this a known issue in the LX?

DESCRIPTION:

Nothing in Description field, does it mean it was done or not, I will ask the seller when i meet him but is this something i can confirm from Lexus Drives Website?

Thanks all for your help
A/C not working is most likely a freon leak...

Typically, when the timing belt is replaced the mechanic applies a sticker to the driver's side cam sprocket cover, or along the top of the radiator mount.

Normally, what's on the website is the same as what you'll see online at a dealer. See if a service writer can print a complete copy of the service records...normally, that's not a problem.

Old 09-01-16, 01:33 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I remembered at 90K service to replace the timing belt, we were giving the option of NOT replacing the water pump since it looked fine. We opted to not replace water pump. Then at 180k, we replaced both.

DESCRIPTION:

Thanks all for your help
Old 09-01-16, 05:45 AM
jbny
Driver

Thanks Guys,

Confirmed that WP and Timing Belt were replaced at 90K service, I test drove it yesterday and the LX seems to be in good condition inside out, however i did see some rust next to the rear wheels but in the last service Lexus checked for rust and corrosion did not say anything except a rotted muffler with gaskets which was replaced.

Should I be worried?
Old 09-01-16, 03:55 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thanks Guys,

Confirmed that WP and Timing Belt were replaced at 90K service, I test drove it yesterday and the LX seems to be in good condition inside out, however i did see some rust next to the rear wheels but in the last service Lexus checked for rust and corrosion did not say anything except a rotted muffler with gaskets which was replaced.

Should I be worried?
Maybe?

Did you get the dealer to put it on the lift, remove the under-the-body paneling, and actually look underneath?

You won't know a thing about rust until you do. Good that the muffler was addressed...I hope nothing else needs addressing.

Steve
Old 09-01-16, 04:55 PM
jbny
Driver

Thanks Steve,

the lx is a private seller i checked the under carriage and took some pics from what i see its not a lot of rust as i still see the original paint i could not take the body panels out.

i test drove the gx at the dealers but did not like the ride not sure if this is an issue with that gx but it rolled a lot and while braking it moved a lot back and forth , i did not feel the same in the lx, i will be going back to the lx tomorrow before i decide.
Old 10-20-16, 09:31 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump... OP, did you ever decide on the GX or LX?
Old 11-14-16, 12:04 PM
jbny
Driver

Hi Docboy,

I have not decided yet, still driving the X5 around, I do like the LX more so I hope i can find something soon.
Old 11-14-16, 06:01 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

The LX is twice the vehicle the GX would ever hope to be; nothing against the GX but after driving the both of them, I'd trust and enjoy the LX for much more especially being a single owner.
Old 11-16-16, 11:10 AM
alpinedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both, I prefer the LX, wife prefers the GX. Its just a slightly bigger version, but I do think the LX is smoother...
Old 11-18-16, 08:32 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by alpinedog
I have both, I prefer the LX, wife prefers the GX. Its just a slightly bigger version, but I do think the LX is smoother...
I think that the LX is definitely NOT "just a slightly bigger version" of the GX. For starters, it's built on a completely different frame.
Old 11-18-16, 08:42 AM
alpinedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, I meant when you drive them both they are both great, just one "feels" bigger. My point was they both rock, you cant go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Another GX470 vs LX470 Comparo...