LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New to Lexus, and the LX...purchase/general questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 06:46 AM
broham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus, and the LX...purchase/general questions.

Hi all, we are shopping around for a bigger family hauler. Our Audi avant is getting smaller by the day, and while we love it we need something bigger. Both of my parents have a Lexus, is and rx and love them. I've always wanted a LC, but maybe a better interior, which leads me to the LX.
Id like to stick with an 03+ for the tranny upgrade, maybe even 04 for the backup cam. after I discovered the vvti in the 06+ I really started leaning that way, I like the new tail lights/wheels also. Of course with this comes a decent price increas, depending on mileage. I hear both ways, but am still looking for more insight, is the vvti worth it? Or more of a maintenance issue. Was there a tsb on these as well?
Most of the used ones I'm seeing, for what I'd like to spend are minimum 130k. Which is fine from what I hear on these motors, maintenance depending obviously. I'd like to squeeze 5-10 years from this rig, so more mileage then 150k, I see less longevity for us. They do seem reasonably bullet proof, not a ton of issues which is why I'm interested, I have not seen a lot on any suspension issues, mainly the bags. Those would obviously be big ticket items.
Lastly, I'm am being a tad picky on the color combo, which makes the search that much more difficult, I'm wanting to stick with the gray interior, and black exterior, possibly gray or silver. White/beige seems to really dominate the market, or beige interior in general. During this search I came a across a few special editions, which I found surprising since only 400 were made. Initially I fell in love with the black birds eye trim, then I thought it would show streaking, scratches, fingerprints much more then the stock trim, any thoughts on that? Plus the stock light wood on dark wheel seems a better contrast.

Ok im ranting at this point, any info or thoughts you guys can give me would be awesome and much appreciated. Looking forward to your responses.
Old 09-11-16, 10:15 PM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

03+ will be a significant upgrade due to the trans. I would all but disregard the mileage on these vehicles. Finding a clean, cared for example is more important than anything. These are one of the most durable vehicles on the planet, bar none. If serviced regularly I wouldn't blink at buying a 300k vehicle. My 99 has 235k and still feels new. Looks like you're in NC, so rust may be a concern. Find a clean example and if it looks cared for, make the leap. The suspension system can have gremlins so ask about any known replacements of those components and take that into consideration when pricing out your options. The system can be removed and replaced with a standard suspension for a few thousand $ if you end up with a completely worn out air system.

The VVT-i isn't worth much, IMO. It's bundled with an air injection system that is hugely expensive to replace if/when it goes out (emissions controls are a real downer on your wallet, sometimes) and doesn't provide huge gains.

For a people mover, the LC/LX is hard to beat.
Old 09-11-16, 11:42 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by yotamd
03+ will be a significant upgrade due to the trans. I would all but disregard the mileage on these vehicles. Finding a clean, cared for example is more important than anything. These are one of the most durable vehicles on the planet, bar none. If serviced regularly I wouldn't blink at buying a 300k vehicle. My 99 has 235k and still feels new. Looks like you're in NC, so rust may be a concern. Find a clean example and if it looks cared for, make the leap. The suspension system can have gremlins so ask about any known replacements of those components and take that into consideration when pricing out your options. The system can be removed and replaced with a standard suspension for a few thousand $ if you end up with a completely worn out air system.

The VVT-i isn't worth much, IMO. It's bundled with an air injection system that is hugely expensive to replace if/when it goes out (emissions controls are a real downer on your wallet, sometimes) and doesn't provide huge gains.

For a people mover, the LC/LX is hard to beat.
I would add that you aren't bothered by maybe having to buy a truck halfway across the country. Not many Cruisers or LX's are imported to the U.S. Last year I have numbers for is 2015...~4000 LX's and ~ 3000 Land Cruisers. If you have a vin, you can print Toyota or Lexus service records in the owners section on Toyota or Lexus websites. A dealer can also do that.

I would agree to pass on vvt-i due to the air pump and associated pieces. There is a diy kit to bypass that system, around $200 iirc on the Tundra Solutions forum. Our current '01 LX has 180K, I purchased it from its original order in 2009 with ~ 80K.
Old 09-13-16, 06:53 AM
broham
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses, I'll start looking for 03-04 first and go from there. Thanks for the input!

Matt.
Old 09-29-16, 04:32 PM
broham
Driver School Candidate

I found an 06 sand dollar that im more then likely going to grab. History is good on it, and the guy selling has refurbished it a little to get the maintenance back up to date, along with some minor exterior blemishes, a broker of sorts. I like the sand dollar, but had to talk myself into the beige interior. Hes asking 24.9 for it, knowing the book as of excellent condition is near 20, with what hes put into it, ie time finding it, getting maintenance up to date, does that seem like a decent price? He told me his wiggle room is not up to 1k, closer to 500ish. I get the desirability factor, and possibly rarity, does it demand that price?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5769728437.html

Matt.
Old 09-29-16, 09:24 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by broham
I found an 06 sand dollar that im more then likely going to grab. History is good on it, and the guy selling has refurbished it a little to get the maintenance back up to date, along with some minor exterior blemishes, a broker of sorts. I like the sand dollar, but had to talk myself into the beige interior. Hes asking 24.9 for it, knowing the book as of excellent condition is near 20, with what hes put into it, ie time finding it, getting maintenance up to date, does that seem like a decent price? He told me his wiggle room is not up to 1k, closer to 500ish. I get the desirability factor, and possibly rarity, does it demand that price?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5769728437.html

Matt.
If you take a look at service history via the VIN, what do you see?? I'd submit if 2nd owner / broker and got maintenance up to date that the truck is currently in excellent condition. It boils down to he's asking $5K ahead of book for the truck. I've never seen an add to book value due to color...it's always in the eye of the buyer, which may be different than the seller. Personally, black would be a no-go for me.

This one looks interesting, give it a click...image-png.1329316
Old 09-30-16, 11:54 AM
broham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
If you take a look at service history via the VIN, what do you see?? I'd submit if 2nd owner / broker and got maintenance up to date that the truck is currently in excellent condition. It boils down to he's asking $5K ahead of book for the truck. I've never seen an add to book value due to color...it's always in the eye of the buyer, which may be different than the seller. Personally, black would be a no-go for me.

This one looks interesting, give it a click...image-png.1329316
That one does look good for the mileage, and price. I talked more with him today, he sells these hundys exclusively. He gets ones in good shape, no rustbelt etc, refurbishes them, adds on the overhead and turns them around. He has a Toyota mechanic he uses constantly that gives the truck whatever it needs, so it's back to more or less new spec. This one did the TB/WP, some cosmetic things, headlight, light paintwork. It's a two owner truck. I don't think the price is a reflection of the color, more the truck in general. Adding it all up and let's say 20K book, the overhead, work invested, condition, does that add up to 25K? I'm on the fence. Maybe 2k parts/labor, 1k of shipping, and 1k overhead. I'm closer to 24. He already told me he wouldn't go down that much, but I'm thinking at least 750 off. Thoughts?

Matt
Old 09-30-16, 03:27 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

That one does look good for the mileage, and price. I talked more with him today, he sells these hundys exclusively. He gets ones in good shape, no rustbelt etc, refurbishes them, adds on the overhead and turns them around. He has a Toyota mechanic he uses constantly that gives the truck whatever it needs, so it's back to more or less new spec. This one did the TB/WP, some cosmetic things, headlight, light paintwork. It's a two owner truck. I don't think the price is a reflection of the color, more the truck in general. Adding it all up and let's say 20K book, the overhead, work invested, condition, does that add up to 25K? I'm on the fence. Maybe 2k parts/labor, 1k of shipping, and 1k overhead. I'm closer to 24. He already told me he wouldn't go down that much, but I'm thinking at least 750 off. Thoughts?
Matt
Cash, and sometimes a bank check, tend to separate the men from boys. I'd counter with $23.5K in cash and go from there.
Old 10-11-16, 10:48 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broham,
I would suggest looking at 04 and up for a family hauler. As you mentioned, you get the rear cam, but you also get the lumbar adj in the passenger seat and general refinements and corrections after the major upgrades in 03. The vvti is not a big issue to me. I also have an 07 LX and like how it drives; the added HP, response and torque curve seems to work well for me. An 06 for $25k is a bit high, but could be a reasonable value if it is in great condition and all maintenance has been faithfully done. I have run into a few good brokers, but in general I do not trust them. Typically they get vehicles that Lexus chose not to sell for some reason or other, so sent it off to auction.

You also might want to follow the Atlanta market which is not that far from NC. There are a lot of the color combos you mention (gray int and black, gray, silver exterior) that come through the Atlanta market. However, as in other southern cities, if they are unusually low mileage, check Carfax to see if they are actually northern vehicles being sold in the south.
Old 10-12-16, 06:19 AM
broham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LXPearl
Broham,
I would suggest looking at 04 and up for a family hauler. As you mentioned, you get the rear cam, but you also get the lumbar adj in the passenger seat and general refinements and corrections after the major upgrades in 03. The vvti is not a big issue to me. I also have an 07 LX and like how it drives; the added HP, response and torque curve seems to work well for me. An 06 for $25k is a bit high, but could be a reasonable value if it is in great condition and all maintenance has been faithfully done. I have run into a few good brokers, but in general I do not trust them. Typically they get vehicles that Lexus chose not to sell for some reason or other, so sent it off to auction.

You also might want to follow the Atlanta market which is not that far from NC. There are a lot of the color combos you mention (gray int and black, gray, silver exterior) that come through the Atlanta market. However, as in other southern cities, if they are unusually low mileage, check Carfax to see if they are actually northern vehicles being sold in the south.

We ended up at 24K. It's in excellent condition, all maintenance up to date, including the fresh timing belt and wp. He actually is a dealer who, like I said works on the 100s exclusively. I would have preffered to pay less, but in this case I knew exactly what I was getting, and from a cooperative seller, who was upfront and forthcoming about every aspect of the truck. I'm will to pay that little extra for this, instead of from a random dealer, who just wants the sale, and may not be as upfront. Thanks for all the input! Talk in a bit.

Few pics.
Attached Thumbnails New to Lexus, and the LX...purchase/general questions.-img_0459.jpg  
Old 10-12-16, 09:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

its okay to overpay for the right one that has been cared for really well and has had everything done to it. I paid $4,200 for my 95 LS400 in 2013, which sounds crazy, but they are very tough to find in respectable condition because they are so old. one I got was absolutely flawless in every way, 1 owner with all the options I wanted, the color I wanted, and always maintained at the dealership with lower miles. complete tool kit, all the original acsessories even down to the window sticker, bill of sale when new (almost $70k in 95 wow!) first aid kit that was never touched etc. very very rare find these days so I was willing to pay a bit more for a really nice one.

however,
although I live in florida and bought it here, it is a rust belt car and although it was VERY well cared for down to the former owner keeping the undercarriage spotless, after 3 years of driving, rust is starting to pop up. nothing major or noticeable but the undercarriage looks like it spent 50 years in the ocean, and I know its only a matter of time before it creeps to places it can be seen. its still a beautiful car and drives like new. its never let me down. 200k+ on her now and I drive it to death. cant get away with that in too many 20 year old 200k mile luxury cars.
Old 11-21-16, 08:31 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default Lx470

Hi all, we are shopping around for a bigger family hauler. Our Audi avant is getting smaller by the day, and while we love it we need something bigger. Both of my parents have a Lexus, is and rx and love them. I've always wanted a LC, but maybe a better interior, which leads me to the LX.
Id like to stick with an 03+ for the tranny upgrade, maybe even 04 for the backup cam. after I discovered the vvti in the 06+ I really started leaning that way, I like the new tail lights/wheels also. Of course with this comes a decent price increas, depending on mileage. I hear both ways, but am still looking for more insight, is the vvti worth it? Or more of a maintenance issue. Was there a tsb on these as well?
Most of the used ones I'm seeing, for what I'd like to spend are minimum 130k. Which is fine from what I hear on these motors, maintenance depending obviously. I'd like to squeeze 5-10 years from this rig, so more mileage then 150k, I see less longevity for us. They do seem reasonably bullet proof, not a ton of issues which is why I'm interested, I have not seen a lot on any suspension issues, mainly the bags. Those would obviously be big ticket items.
Lastly, I'm am being a tad picky on the color combo, which makes the search that much more difficult, I'm wanting to stick with the gray interior, and black exterior, possibly gray or silver. White/beige seems to really dominate the market, or beige interior in general. During this search I came a across a few special editions, which I found surprising since only 400 were made. Initially I fell in love with the black birds eye trim, then I thought it would show streaking, scratches, fingerprints much more then the stock trim, any thoughts on that? Plus the stock light wood on dark wheel seems a better contrast.

Ok im ranting at this point, any info or thoughts you guys can give me would be awesome and much appreciated. Looking forward to your responses.
As of me personally i went with the 02 instead of of the 03 and newer and 02 and older because I believe the 02 transmission was better built and toyota seems to master the 4 speed transmission already . I didnt care for the 5 speed because I wasnt a big fan of their new system . It would be better on gas but maybe 4 miles to the gallon at its best . I dont feel that the 5 speed shifted as smooth either . Its almost like my ls430 which its to in a rush to shift to the next gear. I love the new standard option on the newer one but i feel the more option you have , the more things you have to worry that it will not break. Then it comes down to what you need in a suv. These trucks are one of the best in the world and believe me it feels like it too going on the insterstate.