LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Missing CD Changer, '01 Lexus LX 470, Grom BT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 10:52 AM
ehrgeiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing CD Changer, '01 Lexus LX 470, Grom BT3

I recently purchased an '01 Lexus LX 470. I also purchased a Grom BT3 to setup aux, bluetooth etc. through the factory head unit. This device plugs into the back of the head unit and uses the CD player to connect to the factory audio system. The vehicle has a Mark Levinson sound system without navigation.

I removed the head unit and upon connecting the Grom device I received an error 3 when trying to activate the CD changer and correspondingly the aux or USB ports of the Grom. Upon closer investigation I pulled the head unit out and removed a few screws that hold the top of the CD changer and much to my surprise the space where the CD changer should be was completely empty.

Interestingly, the top of the unit also had a sticker that noted "serviced by Japan Electronics Vancouver".

I can't understand why someone would go through the hassle of removing the internal CD changer. I mean I could see opening it up if it jammed to rescue some CD's but it just seems really odd to me. Maybe they wanted to make a secret compartment for drug smuggling ha-ha. If anyone has any idea why please enlighten me.

On to the issues / questions itemized as follows:

*Anyone know these head units really well and understand if I could somehow bypass this error message in the absence of a an actual CD changer. I understand the Grom unit when working should read CD 1 Track 01?

*I called Lexus to check the availability of replacement head units, was advised there was none and they send it off for service. I explained that's likely not an option as my CD changer is literally missing. They noted it can cost $1,100.00 to $1,500.00 which makes it really cost prohibitive anyway. Anyone know a way to get a hold of one of these units for a much more reasonable price?

*Grom suggested that there could be a remote CD changer somewhere in the vehicle in replacement of the in dash unit. They advised it would need to be disabled for the Grom unit to work. I looked around and couldn't find anything unless there is some crazy hidden place I should be looking?

*On the back of the factory head unit there is two connectors ports, only 1 had a wiring harness plugged into the back of the deck. The other where the Grom unit plugs in was blank. The wiring harness looked completely intact, no additional unconnected connectors. Is this how it's supposed to be?

*My other option is scrap the Grom unit and go with an aftermarket head unit. I understand this is ill advised especially if the stereo has a digitally controlled amp. Is there anyway to verify if my vehicle has the digitally controlled amp? Any thoughts or recommendations on an after market unit?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone could provide!

Dave