LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Paying Faulty Diagnosis from Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 09:50 PM
jacky2942
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paying Faulty Diagnosis from Lexus Dealer

I want to know if I got ripped off from the dealer or if it is fair to pay what they asked.

My 2005 LX470 has trouble code C1549 with Steering Wheel off center about 90 degree.

The dealer asked me to pay the total diagnosis fee which still didn't find the issue is $495 + $170 + $160 + $495 = $1320.

To make it clear, the diagnosis process was as description below:

January 25 : $170 for initial inspection + $325 for deep inspection to remove the instrument panel ($495). They told that there was water leaking spot at the corner of windshield therefore Skid Control ECU (ABS ECU) got damaged inside and need to replace and asked me to pay $2200 for the ECU and $1600 for the windshield. I paid $495 and refused the repair at the dealer.

I called the glass company recommened by the dealer and installed new windshield. Also bought $200 used ECU from ebay and installed it from a local mechanic shop ($80 labor). After changed the ECU, the mechanic told he couldn't reset the code.

March 3 : Brought car to dealer agian. $170 for inspecition that told my ECU only needs to re-programmed for the used ECU to resove the issue + $160 for re-programming fee. Agreed the repair. Few hours later they called that they can't re-program on used ECU and definately need to install with new ECU. They told any Used ECU can't be programmed to another car if that car is not the car initially installed when the ECU was new. This is hard to believe statement.

March 4 : They finally offered discount price of new ECU $1477 from $2200. I accepted to install new ECU.

March 7 : They called the new ECU didn't solve the issue as well as installing a new VGRS ECU also didn't clear the code. They confirmed to verify my original Skid Control ECU is good but the used ECU from ebay got water damaged. (at this point, I don't understand what they are doing) And they asked me to pay $170 (initial inspection) + $160 (re-programming) + $495 (deep inspection to find wire damage) = total $825.

Since their initial inspection on 1/25 was faulty work and that caused to waste unnecessary works and money, should I still need to pay the $825 fee?? I asked to waive the $825 fee but the advisor denied it because I did the ECU replacement outside the dealer.

I would like to hear user's opinion in this forum.

Please advise.
Old 03-08-16, 09:29 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Who's the dealer and where is the dealership?

Step 1...Find another shop, preferably an independent that specializes in Lexus / Toyota. If we knew your general location, someone might suggest a shop.

Step 2...Talk to the service manager about your issues and see what he says after you tell him what you want.

Step 3...Talk to Lexus customer care. Still no satisfaction?...

Step 4...Dispute the charge with your cc company. File a biatch with the BBB near you. California also has a consumer complaint hotline related to vehicle repair.

Good luck and report back.

Steve
Old 03-08-16, 10:06 AM
jacky2942
Driver School Candidate

It is Lexus Dealer in Fremont, CA.

I already did #1 and no luck with finding a experienced mechanic about my issue.

Now I am in Step 2 process.

Do you think they are ripping me off?
Old 03-08-16, 07:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jacky2942
It is Lexus Dealer in Fremont, CA.

I already did #1 and no luck with finding a experienced mechanic about my issue.

Now I am in Step 2 process.

Do you think they are ripping me off?
In order...

Since you're in Fremont, you are in luck...

Call A+ Japanese Auto Repair in San Carlos. Talk to one of the owners, Eric or Adam, and get their opinion. They are masters with Toyota products. You can tell them that Steve in Idaho suggested you call.

Website here...A+ Japanese Auto Repair

It is my opinion that they are indeed ripping you off. "Standard" and "deep" inspections are terms I'm not familiar with, other than once every 10 years when I see the proctologist. That's gibberish that allows the dealer to screw with your brain, as you've found.

I went through, thank God, only one true-lemon POS car deal, and that was for an early Olds diesel (yeah, I knew quickly that I didn't even start doing my homework) that broke it's crankshaft at 45K, needed head gaskets replaced twice, and injection pump replaced twice. Repeated requests to the dealership's owner were stonewalled.

I filed a complaint with the Burlingame BBB. One week later I had a call from the regional GM tech rep offering to buy me lunch. During lunch, he told me that GM would install a factory-new 401 gas motor. I agreed and he sent me to a very busy shop in Hayward...their only business was GM diesel to gas replacements. When the car was finished you could NOT tell it wasn't a gas motor from the factory. My cost was a zero. GM even paid for the tow from north of Half Moon Bay to Hayward.

hth

Steve
Old 03-21-16, 01:16 PM
TRDmkII
Driver School Candidate

at this point, I don't see why they are charging you more diagnostic fees because they were wrong on their initial inspection. you attempted to remedy the situation but that didn't fix it, then you had them do the repair and that still didn't fix it. no matter the case if you would have done the repair with them originally then it would still be ****ed up. i can see them not wanting to pay for your used parts or the attempt to reprogram but there shouldn't be that much in diagnosis without proper repair. Lexus dealers usually have a master diagnostic technician they stick on these concerns and it sounds as if they are throwing parts at it. I would defnitely contact Lexus care. With that code it can only be the abs ecu the vgrs ecu or wiring. Seems like they've tried all that.