LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Buy '08 GX470 or '03 LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 09:10 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy '08 GX470 or '03 LX470?

I'm considering an SUV for my needs & am bit confused. I've identified '03 LX470 & '08 GX470 -

GX is expensive by $1500
GX has slightly (8%) lesser mileage
GX has marginally better maintenance history (but both are very good)

Important factors: Minimum maintenance & operating cost, safety, ride comfort, longevity, features.
Driving habit: 60/40 City/Hwy.
3rd row seat is nice to have, but not a deal breaker.
4 Adults with occasional visit from mom for a few weeks.
I hardly do any off-roading but ride comfort is key.

Has anyone driven both & can tell advantages of one over other. What would you advice & why? Known issues to look for?

I understand, best would be to test drive both & perform a pre-purchase inspection with Lexus Service. However, due to my schedule it will take me a few days before I'll get around it.

Thanks!

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 02-25-16 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 11:29 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by hitsofmiss
I'm considering an SUV for my needs & am bit confused. I've identified '03 LX470 & '08 GX470 -

GX is expensive by $1500
GX has slightly (8%) lesser mileage
GX has marginally better maintenance history (but both are very good)

I personally wouldn't make my choice based on price...$1500 would be about the last thing I'd consider. Same with mileage. Not knowing mileage on the LX, has it had its timing belt / water pump stuff done every 90K?

Important factors: Minimum maintenance & operating cost, safety, ride comfort, longevity, features.
Driving habit: 60/40 City/Hwy.
3rd row seat is nice to have, but not a deal breaker.
4 Adults with occasional visit from mom for a few weeks.
I hardly do any off-roading but ride comfort is key.

If you're not getting off-road as the numbers suggest, I'd also shop for a Sequoia.

3rd row in a 100-series would be workable but perhaps only for kids and the "vertically challenged".
I removed mine the same day I bought it. Essentially zero cargo storage with the 3rd row up. The "4 adults" is why I suggested the Sequoia. The LX will definitely feel more comfortable than the GX...simple genealogy...LX is a more cushy clone of a Land Cruiser...The GX same of a 4-Runner. Weight and wheelbase will make the LX inherently more stable.

Has anyone driven both & can tell advantages of one over other. What would you advice & why? Known issues to look for?

I've never driven a GX, but I've ridden in a few. An apples-to-oranges comparison, particularly based on selling price and residual after 10 years...let alone the 25 year cycles that Cruisers and LX's are designed around.

I would advise the LX given your choices, but again, it sounds like the Sequoia might be ideal for you and I'd guess would save you some money.

Cargo volume in the LX is around 80 cu. ft., the GX around 60...a major difference.

For stuff to check, go to sleeoffroad.com and check out the 100 series newbie guide. Definitely register on and spend some time on ih8mud.com...I'd suggest reading the 100 series FAQS section, start to finish...which I have. Mud does have a GX forum, but I've never had reason to check it out.

I have zero knowledge of the GX world. It's obvious it was designed for places where you drive to the left. Parked at a curb in a right-hand drive country, the rear door opens in the wrong direction here.

I understand, best would be to test drive both & perform a pre-purchase inspection with Lexus Service. However, due to my schedule it will take me a few days before I'll get around it.

Thanks!
I would definitely do a ppt on both...though I'd not do it at the dealer if the dealer is selling the car. Do you have a competent indy shop in the area?

hth

Steve
Old 02-26-16, 11:10 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As above mention, make sure check and see if all the job has been done on the LX, those can be costly if no warranty.

LX 3rd row will have more space than GX, and if you have the 3rd row up on the GX, the remaining trunk space is almost useless, at least that's what on my 2010, but I think the 08'
should be the same.

LX will also ride a bit better than GX, especially the rear suspension
Old 02-27-16, 09:42 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Thank you all for your suggestions & comments. I test drove the '03 LX y'day.

As someone mentioned earlier, it does feel like driving on clouds. Really cushy ride. Also, quite quiet. (I hated driving back home in my SC430 ) Suspension in soft mode, my jaw almost dropped. What an experience.

However, the vehicle has some issues & here are my observations:
1.) VGRS light on (steering wheel off by 90degrees) - Issue with steering switch, will fix before selling
2.) No backup camera - I thought it was a standard feature for that year
3.) The hood closes due to it's own weight - Will replace shocks before selling
4.) Though, steers smoothly, initial pick-up is sluggish
5.) Could push only upto 85mph, felt under-powered
6.) When stopped even at slow speed, the car gave a big jerk. - The front brakes & calipers were recently replaced. Will replace the rears
7.) Did not notice any foul (mold) smell & the engine area is super clean.
8.) After the test drive, no smell from the engine area
9.) Showed only 10.1 MPG
10.) Maintenance done between Lexus & local (Jiffy Lube types) auto shop per CarFax. Could not find much info after 2012.
11.) Exterior paint in Very Good condition. Interior leather & carpet has some stains & marks.
12.) Sunroof opens smoothly.
13.) Could not figure out how to operate the H-N-L gear system.

Is there something to worry about or to be looked at? With 155,000 miles, how much should it be worth?

Will be test driving the GX tonight.

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 02-27-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 12:51 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Default Bad news

Just got a call from local Lexus dealer performing Pre-Purchase Inspection that the '08 GX has significant amount of rust in the front portion of the car, for that year & age of the vehicle. (Not much in the rear).

I'm little surprised since the SUV was from SC & was always maintained by Lexus & was a single owner. There was no other water related damage & it looked beautiful. Wonder, why there was no mention of it in the Service History. It was transferred from Hendrick Lexus in Charleston after inspection. No wonder, why the local Hendrick dealer discouraged me for an inspection with another Lexus dealer.

Now, I've to start the search all over again.

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 02-27-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-07-16, 06:08 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Default Found a '07 GX470

I found 07 GX with 190k miles. Does not have Navigation, Backup Camera, Entertainment System, Bluetooth, Satellite, etc. It appears to be well maintained at Lexus Dealership. I'll be taking it to Lexus for PPI tomorrow just to be sure.

Should High-Miles be a concern even if it was maintained by Lexus?
Is ~$12K a good price?
Is it as reliable as LX?
I'm still so mesmerized by LX's ride quality, color & the timeless look that I don't mind getting an older ('98-'04) 200k-250k LX for the same price range if I can find one. But I don't want to make a foolish decision.

Guys, can you please provide your $.02?
Old 03-10-16, 11:14 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Both the GX and LX are great vehicles, and 190k miles is not nearly "too many" for either of them. Both are reliable, durable and maintainable.

But the LX is a Land Cruiser, Toyota's flagship model and the one that gets overbuilt in order to last 25 years on the road minimum. The GX is well built, but ultimately is at best a cousin of a Cruiser. Both will require maintenance at that age and usage, but with a bit of TLC both will continue to give years of service.

If you prefer the size and shape of the GX, then go for it. But if your heart is telling you a LX is the better choice then you certainly won't regret it.
Old 03-10-16, 03:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jacket
Both the GX and LX are great vehicles, and 190k miles is not nearly "too many" for either of them. Both are reliable, durable and maintainable.

But the LX is a Land Cruiser, Toyota's flagship model and the one that gets overbuilt in order to last 25 years on the road minimum. The GX is well built, but ultimately is at best a cousin of a Cruiser. Both will require maintenance at that age and usage, but with a bit of TLC both will continue to give years of service.

If you prefer the size and shape of the GX, then go for it. But if your heart is telling you a LX is the better choice then you certainly won't regret it.
^QFT...

I'd still say op is comparing apples to oranges. The LX has ~ 1/3 more storage space with the seats down. The GX is to the LX like a 4 Runner is to the Cruiser.

No comparison.

Steve
Old 03-17-16, 05:15 PM
cstu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine for 6 years and still have no idea how operate it.
Old 03-17-16, 09:20 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cstu
Had mine for 6 years and still have no idea how operate it.
Move the transmission lever to "N", then move the transfer case lever from "H" to "L". Reverse steps when you're back on a decent road.

Steve
Old 03-22-16, 11:03 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you all for your suggestions & comments. I test drove the '03 LX y'day.

As someone mentioned earlier, it does feel like driving on clouds. Really cushy ride. Also, quite quiet. (I hated driving back home in my SC430 ) Suspension in soft mode, my jaw almost dropped. What an experience.

However, the vehicle has some issues & here are my observations:
1.) VGRS light on (steering wheel off by 90degrees) - Issue with steering switch, will fix before selling
2.) No backup camera - I thought it was a standard feature for that year
3.) The hood closes due to it's own weight - Will replace shocks before selling
4.) Though, steers smoothly, initial pick-up is sluggish
5.) Could push only upto 85mph, felt under-powered
6.) When stopped even at slow speed, the car gave a big jerk. - The front brakes & calipers were recently replaced. Will replace the rears
7.) Did not notice any foul (mold) smell & the engine area is super clean.
8.) After the test drive, no smell from the engine area
9.) Showed only 10.1 MPG
10.) Maintenance done between Lexus & local (Jiffy Lube types) auto shop per CarFax. Could not find much info after 2012.
11.) Exterior paint in Very Good condition. Interior leather & carpet has some stains & marks.
12.) Sunroof opens smoothly.

Is there something to worry about or to be looked at? With 155,000 miles, how much should it be worth?

Will be test driving the GX tonight.
I have a 03 LX fully equipped with nav, night vision, rear entertainment system and a 2010 GX not the premium. & I must say the lx even thoughi to 7yrs younger than the gx rides better. The GX has the new technology & still a good ride. That jerk feel you talk about is engine braking. I kinda like that feeling. Puts less wear on your brakes. The LX 4wd lever is easy to shift. Put the truck in neutral then shift from hi to low then put in gear and drive. Steering wheel calibration will straighten ur steering wheel. Backup camera became standard on 04 models and up. Only problem I had were the headlight bulb on the driverside kept burning out. Solve that problem with a complete retrofit

Last edited by silverbul; 03-22-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 09:00 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

I ended up buying the 2007 GX with 188,000 miles for $12,200. I know, I paid at least $2000 more but my wife's car (Accord) head gasket blew & I did not have much time to shop around.

If there's any consolation, the car is single owner, well maintained & all the services were done at Lexus Dealership. He'd spent about $4000 a week back fixing whatever Lexus recommended. The pre-purchase inspection came out clean.& the ride quality is not bad.

Thank you everyone for your comments & suggestions. I guess, the LX will have to wait for sometime now.

I'm thinking of installing at least the backup camera & getting all weather floor mat. Any recommendations?

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 03-22-16 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 01:19 PM
shodoc
Driver School Candidate

I ended up buying the 2007 GX with 188,000 miles for $12,200. I know, I paid at least $2000 more but my wife's car (Accord) head gasket blew & I did not have much time to shop around.

If there's any consolation, the car is single owner, well maintained & all the services were done at Lexus Dealership. He'd spent about $4000 a week back fixing whatever Lexus recommended. The pre-purchase inspection came out clean.& the ride quality is not bad.

Thank you everyone for your comments & suggestions. I guess, the LX will have to wait for sometime now.

I'm thinking of installing at least the backup camera & getting all weather floor mat. Any recommendations?
How much did you pay for PPI at Lexus dealer, also do you think you can share with me the checklist they follow for a PPI? Thanks
Old 01-19-18, 06:57 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shodoc
How much did you pay for PPI at Lexus dealer, also do you think you can share with me the checklist they follow for a PPI? Thanks
The Lexus dealer had already inspected the truck before it got out on the lot. Therefore, paying for a PPI at the dealer is a lot like getting a second opinion from the same doctor and paying twice.

The main idea of a PPI is to have the truck checked at a shop that is not a party to the sale. Normally, you'l get more knowledge and experience on any make at an independent shop. Why? The best dealer techs typically set up their own shop, or go to work at one.

If you do your pre-purchase homework, you've already entered the VIN in the owners section of lexus.com. That will allow you to see and print any and all services done at a dealer since the truck was first delivered. Equally important, it will also note recommended maintenance tasks that were declined by the owner.

hth

This a long thread, but it has everything you want to ask the shop prior to the PPI. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pre...#post-11410692

Last edited by hankinid; 01-19-18 at 07:03 PM.