LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

My first Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 07:43 AM
rcan1015
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first Lexus

Greetings,

I just purchased my first Lexus--2001 LX470 with 97K miles, vapor blue. I've owned a couple older LC's and Montero's, but nothing as upscale as the LX. I do have a few questions I was hoping the group could help me with.

I don't understand the vehicle height adjustment. Is the purpose of 'Lo' just to make it easier to get in and out? As soon as I start driving, it changes to the 'normal' height--is that what it is supposed to do?

Can you select the differential lock when driving or just when parked?

I don't notice any difference in the AVS modes. I've only driven on paved roads at slower speeds--but they all seem the same. Are the differences noticeable? Can you change modes at any speed?

Most important--any decent repair manuals for the 'repair challenged' individual? I've looked at the factory manuals--but they require a lot of diagnostic equipment and don't have enough photos/diagrams.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 09-13-14, 07:30 AM
Z07
Driver

Check out the 100 series section at Ih8mud for FAQ and gen maintenance.

The ride height is supposed to adjust to provide the best combination of clearance and stability for your current conditions.

The AVS modes are thresholds (software settings) that determine when the ABS will brake a wheel to maintain traction.

The center only diff lock should be used in low range on unpaved (gravel is fine) roads/trails. There may be a mod for engaging the diff lock at any time but that would only make sense for someone driving a long stretch of dirt roads at speed.

View your owner's manual here:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...nual-search.do
Old 09-15-14, 09:15 PM
rcan1015
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I looked at the owners manual and it mentions using 4wd 'high' and center diff. locked when you experience wheel slip--but it doesn't say whether you have to be stopped to engage. So when I'm driving in the mountains and the road goes from wet to slush or snow, can I engage the center diff. at 20 or 30 mph or do I need to pull over to engage?

Thanks
Old 09-15-14, 09:20 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey congrats on your new purchase! Oh & welcome to club lexus. Cheers.
Old 10-15-14, 12:11 AM
cnfowler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The center diff lock can be engaged while moving. There should be a sticker on your visor explaining the diff lock. Basically, don't engage the diff lock when turning or when a wheel is spinning due to loss of traction. So straight line and all four wheels turning normally - that's when you can engage it. When you select low range on the transfer case, the center diff automatically locks.

The AVS has nothing to do with the braking system. It adjusts the shocks to make them firm (highway, curvy road, etc) or soft (washboard dirt road). I can feel the change on mine.

The low setting on the suspension is to make for easier loading and also entering and exiting the vehicle. It will, as you've discovered, automatically raise to N (normal) when you reach a certain speed (like 11mph or so). H would be for off road situations where you need a bit more ground clearance. It will automatically lower to N when you reach a certain speed.

Colin