LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

VSC Light and Sound Show (problem)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 02:51 AM
DancesWith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC Light and Sound Show (problem)

Hi all again. I finally picked up my LX470 from the Toyota dealer today (2002 year model). It's got to go back on Monday as they replaced the windscreen just before I collected it due to a small crack and they put in a left-hand drive screen. Yep, there's left hand drive and right hand drive screens! The position of the rain sensor connector is slightly off-set to hide it behind the mirror. Why on earth there would there be a left hand drive screen in New Zealand anyway?! I doubt is there's any in the country.

Anyway, that's just an aside. About five times in an hour's driving, the VSC light came on. Every time it was while going around a moderate bend at a fairly sedate speed. Twice the alarm sounded and twice at least one brake kicked in momentarily, making the car lurch. Sometimes it took a minute or two for the alarm to stop,

I know that the dealer will need to attend to this but is there a way to turn off the VSC for the weekend until I get it back to the stealer? There's no handbook in the car.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Nigel in NZ
Old 07-11-14, 01:23 PM
kwatt1
Rookie

VCS issues are usually engine performance or ABS issues. The controller and such can go bad, but the VCS light is an indicator of a lot of sub systems. If there is a way to turn the system off, the owners manual should have that.
Old 08-03-14, 07:30 AM
jimboak
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Traction control, not VSC

I have also had this problem intermittently but it is not really the VSC, it is the traction control. It happens for me occasionally on sweeping right hand turns. I live in Texas and this is on dry roads with no traction issues at all. Twice (over 3 years) this has also resulted in a sudden hard application of the right side (passenger side) brakes which is a real wake up call as the car lurches pretty hard. But more often the stupid thing just beeps for 30 seconds or so and then goes off. This happens maybe once a week at most, usually on exactly the same turn on my way to work, so some combination of factors is just right to convince the traction control that something is slipping.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is what is called a "zero point" of the deceleration yaw rate sensor. Various repairs can cause it to be thrown out of sync. apparently even just a alignment. Mine started acting up right after I had a front CV joint and boot replaced but was so intermittent I didn't really think about it. After a year, it started becoming more frequent.

My dealer didn't think the problem was from the CV repair, and won't just reset the zero point, they want a bunch of cash just to look at the problem, and I'm not too impressed with their diagnostic skills anyway, they seem to be pretty much repair by replacement folks. I'd like to figure out how to do the zero point reset myself. The instructions in the manual are pretty clear but it apparently takes a special instrument to actually do the reset.

Anyone who has figured out how to do the yaw sensor zero point reset?
Old 09-04-14, 04:11 PM
christianw
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same problems with my 2001 Lexus LX470. I bought it brand new and have 250k miles on it. It started a couple of years ago and out of nowhere the VSC light comes on, makes a loud beeping noise and pulls hard to the right and slows down! Im at the point of dispair! The dealer can not find any problems. It can happen at any time even when Im on the highway going straight on a normal day at 70 mph...very dangerous! I have almost had at least 10 accidents! Any help would be appreciative!
Old 09-05-14, 01:54 AM
DancesWith
Driver School Candidate

Mine was fixed by the dealer. It was loose front wheel bearings. I've heard it also can be loose or worn suspension bushes. Either way, it's the accelerometers picking up lateral movement of the wheel and the "brain" assuming the car is sliding.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ
Old 09-05-14, 04:07 PM
christianw
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Nigel in NZ....have you had any issues since? How long has it been since you had it repaired and what was the cost?
Thanks!
Old 09-06-14, 12:55 AM
DancesWith
Driver School Candidate

No issues at all since the dealer repaired it. It was still under warranty so I did not have to pay. If you jack up the front wheels one at a time, it's pretty easy to check how loose the wheel bearings are. Grip the top and bottom of the wheel and see if there's any movement if you push in with one hand and pull out with the other. In a workshop with an air jack it's literally a three minute job for a mechanic to check. Checking the suspension for play is a lot more complicated as you have to know what to wriggle with a pry bar, what to check by working the steering and where to look.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ
Old 05-23-16, 01:09 PM
Krate
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More REsponses on another Thread

Here is a thread with many more responses about this same issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...ml#post9494888

As you will see, the problem also could be in the power steering rack.