LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

06 Lx470 Acceleration Problem

Old 11-10-12, 03:39 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 06 Lx470 Acceleration Problem

Ok so here's the story:
I was on vacation at San Antonio,Tx (Six Flags ). As I was at a stop sign my car suddenly accelerated and I held the break really hard. Thankfully I had enough space that I didn't hit the car in front of me (a brand new GX460). Now when I got back I immediately called Lexus and setup an appointment to get it checked out. They kept my car for 2 weeks and when I got it back they simply said the couldn't "replicate the problem". Now I would like some suggestions on what to do next.
Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-12, 03:32 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Anyone?
Old 11-11-12, 04:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

To be honest, it sounds like operator error. I have yet to see or hear of any LX470 or 100 series landcruisers that have had an unintended acceleration issue and i frequent these and the IH8MUD forums a lot. Now I'm not saying its your fault, but are you sure that your foot wasn't on both pedals at the same time? I've done this a few times and seems like it might be your answer, especially since it couldn't be replicated after 2 weeks and isn't a known problem with this car that has been around since late 1997
Old 11-11-12, 07:16 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
To be honest, it sounds like operator error. I have yet to see or hear of any LX470 or 100 series landcruisers that have had an unintended acceleration issue and i frequent these and the IH8MUD forums a lot. Now I'm not saying its your fault, but are you sure that your foot wasn't on both pedals at the same time? I've done this a few times and seems like it might be your answer, especially since it couldn't be replicated after 2 weeks and isn't a known problem with this car that has been around since late 1997
Could be, but I doubt it.
Old 09-24-13, 11:53 AM
joe42276
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any new updates to this?

My dad's '04 LX470 recently had an episode...

Last week he was driving to a funeral (luckily not his..)
When going up the hill and curves, he was driving normal, easy going, but at a certain point, he says the LX started accelerating... to the point he was stepping on the brake pedal really hard.
He managed to slow it down and stop the truck, and it never did it again.

He's very aware that some Toyota's had this issue. but always felt his Lexus would be fine.. until now.

here's some notes on our LX470.
--2004, with 180k miles.
--NO front floor mats (he's aware of the Toyota stories)
--I replaced his Gas pedal assembly (bought a new one, genuine Toyota part from local Lexus dealer)
about 10k miles ago, in attempt to fix a symptom of NOT accelerating from a stop...
(this problem seems more like the trans doesnt want to downshift back to first... but so far a
ATF change seems to have helped)

He knows this is not something that can be replicated easily... and concerned it might happen again. He knows he didn't imagine it.

I told him if that ever happens again, just shift the transmission to Neutral, and get on the brakes. Since most brakes are vacuum assist, if the engine is reving, then you might not have any assist too... so it might feel like brakes aren't working....

Any one else ever have issues with the LX470 in this regard?
Old 10-10-13, 06:24 AM
kwatt1
Rookie

Could he have changed his shoes? I wear a size 13/14 shoe. If my foot is not on the pedal just right or I get a different pair of shoes, sometimes I have trouble pressing the accelerator. Almost always its becaues the distance between the brake pedal and hump is just a little bigger than the width of my foot. When I press down to overcome the carpet I can sometimes get a harsh aceleration - particularly bad with sneakers on
Old 10-12-13, 09:57 AM
LovezLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by joe42276
Any new updates to this? My dad's '04 LX470 recently had an episode... Last week he was driving to a funeral (luckily not his..) When going up the hill and curves, he was driving normal, easy going, but at a certain point, he says the LX started accelerating... to the point he was stepping on the brake pedal really hard. He managed to slow it down and stop the truck, and it never did it again. He's very aware that some Toyota's had this issue. but always felt his Lexus would be fine.. until now. here's some notes on our LX470. --2004, with 180k miles. --NO front floor mats (he's aware of the Toyota stories) --I replaced his Gas pedal assembly (bought a new one, genuine Toyota part from local Lexus dealer) about 10k miles ago, in attempt to fix a symptom of NOT accelerating from a stop... (this problem seems more like the trans doesnt want to downshift back to first... but so far a ATF change seems to have helped) He knows this is not something that can be replicated easily... and concerned it might happen again. He knows he didn't imagine it. I told him if that ever happens again, just shift the transmission to Neutral, and get on the brakes. Since most brakes are vacuum assist, if the engine is reving, then you might not have any assist too... so it might feel like brakes aren't working.... Any one else ever have issues with the LX470 in this regard?
Exactly what I experienced. I had to hold on the brakes pretty hard. There was a car right infront of me, but I steered it onto the shoulder. Scariest thing ever! I took it to Westside and they thought I was crazy. Did some "tests" and couldn't replicate it. I know what I experienced and I've been scared to drive my LX a lot. '06 with 55k.
Old 10-12-13, 09:58 AM
LovezLexus
Driver

Now I know I'm not the only one. I don't know what to do from here though. Thinking about selling my LX.
Old 10-14-13, 02:42 PM
kwatt1
Rookie

I have this problem Toyota and Honda alike. I just drive with my foot at an angle (heel closer to the center) and use more of the end of my foot. Unless I am going to stomp on it, it;s usually not an issue. Stepping on the brake and the edge of my sole hitting the gas is usually the thing I don't like. I brake closer to the left edge, but in a pnaic type stop you can't always pay attention to that.