LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2002 LX470 - Buying Advice - details & pic included

Old 12-04-11, 07:31 PM
degilmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LX470 - Buying Advice - details & pic included

Looking at purchasing a 2002 Lexus LX 470. It's had 2 owners. Options - Nav, ML Audio, Roof Rack, Tow Package (hasn't towed), Viper Alarm with Remote Start. 4 brand new Michelin LTX tires. Nav. disk is outdated. Subwoofer blown (same thing on my ES300 but I know how to fix). Spare tire original and needs replaced (dry rot cracking).

115K Miles, Exterior 9-10 (almost flawless), Interior 7/10 - normal & minor wear. Being sold private party. We agreed on a price of $18K (was asking $19,900) on the condition that I could take the car for two days to have it inspected by my own mechanic. Left him $300 and my 02 ES300. LX Spent 3 Years in Boston, MA and 2005-Present in Phoenix, AZ. They're selling because they bought a LX570.

Here is a Summary of the Maintenance Records by Date Descending. What should I have the mechanic specifically look out for? What major neglects have their been? A lot that was done was overkill IMO but that's fine with me, it wasn't my money. But, I've never owned an LX so I don't know what I should be looking out for at 10 years and 115K miles? I don't see Spark Plugs and Wires or fuel filter or shocks? Anyhow. ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK WOULD BE AWESOME! Thanks. Here are the records:

Previous Mechanic Notes that I Didn't See a Receipt for Repair:
Driveshaft slip yoke is binding causing clunk after vehicle is loaded. Recommend to R&R driveshaft and lubricate driveshaft components.

Verified Records I Have From Receipts
July 2010: New Alternator (non dealer)
May 2010: Timing belt, belt, water pump, coolant, FRONT BRAKE PADS (92K miles) (non dealer)
January 2010: Replaced both steering column motors (LX DLR)
October 2009: R&R Rear Brakes (81K miles) (LX DLR)
July 2009: 75K Service - trans fluid, 80-90 gear oil, cabin filter (LX DLR)
February 2008: 63K - Fuel tank gasket, brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, 80-90 gear oil, Seal Type T Oil, AHC Fluid, L/S Diff Additive, V-ribbed Belt, New Antenna mast & cable (LX DLR)
April 2007: R&R Cat Converter Heat Shield (LX DLR)
Dec. 2005: 50K R&R Front brake pads, repack bearings and replace seals, R&R Rear Brakes (LX DLR)
45K Lexus Recommended Services Performed (LX DLR)
30K Lexus Recommended Service Performed (LX DLR)
15K Lexus Recommended Service Performed (LX DLR)
10K Lexus Recommended Service Performed (LX DLR)

Picture attached!
Attached Thumbnails 2002 LX470 - Buying Advice - details & pic included-photo.jpg  

Last edited by degilmer; 12-04-11 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-06-11, 12:08 PM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Who did you have take a look at it? When I purchased my previous '01, I had MotorTek in Mesa give me a PPI. The timing belt is the big one there and that has already been done.

Make sure the AHC suspension is fully functional, check for steering rack leaks, check the exhaust manifolds which are prone to cracking. As for the driveshaft, generally a solid lubing will take care of that issue.

Here is a very comprehensive 100 series forum as well as a link to a buying guide:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm
Old 03-21-15, 12:47 PM
kinikai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by degilmer
Looking at purchasing a 2002 Lexus LX 470. It's had 2 owners. Options - Nav, ML Audio, Roof Rack, Tow Package (hasn't towed), Viper Alarm with Remote Start. 4 brand new Michelin LTX tires. Nav. disk is outdated. Subwoofer blown (same thing on my ES300 but I know how to fix). Spare tire original and needs replaced (dry rot cracking).

115K Miles, Exterior 9-10 (almost flawless), Interior 7/10 - normal & minor wear. Being sold private party. We agreed on a price of $18K (was asking $19,900) on the condition that I could take the car for two days to have it inspected by my own mechanic. Left him $300 and my 02 ES300. LX Spent 3 Years in Boston, MA and 2005-Present in Phoenix, AZ. They're selling because they bought a LX570.

Here is a Summary of the Maintenance Records by Date Descending. What should I have the mechanic specifically look out for? What major neglects have their been? A lot that was done was overkill IMO but that's fine with me, it wasn't my money. But, I've never owned an LX so I don't know what I should be looking out for at 10 years and 115K miles? I don't see Spark Plugs and Wires or fuel filter or shocks? Anyhow. ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK WOULD BE AWESOME! Thanks. Here are the records:

Previous Mechanic Notes that I Didn't See a Receipt for Repair:
Driveshaft slip yoke is binding causing clunk after vehicle is loaded. Recommend to R&R driveshaft and lubricate driveshaft components.

Verified Records I Have From Receipts
July 2010: New Alternator (non dealer)
May 2010: Timing belt, belt, water pump, coolant, FRONT BRAKE PADS (92K miles) (non dealer)
January 2010: Replaced both steering column motors (LX DLR)
October 2009: R&R Rear Brakes (81K miles) (LX DLR)
July 2009: 75K Service - trans fluid, 80-90 gear oil, cabin filter (LX DLR)
February 2008: 63K - Fuel tank gasket, brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, 80-90 gear oil, Seal Type T Oil, AHC Fluid, L/S Diff Additive, V-ribbed Belt, New Antenna mast & cable (LX DLR)
April 2007: R&R Cat Converter Heat Shield (LX DLR)
Dec. 2005: 50K R&R Front brake pads, repack bearings and replace seals, R&R Rear Brakes (LX DLR)
45K Lexus Recommended Services Performed (LX DLR)
30K Lexus Recommended Service Performed (LX DLR)
15K Lexus Recommended Service Performed (LX DLR)
10K Lexus Recommended Service Performed (LX DLR)

Picture attached!

I just purchased a 2002 lx470 3 months ago. I love it!

if the body is in good shape, and everything works, such as the moon roof, steering column(up/down and in and out with QUIET movement), hydrolic leveling system, sound system including CD changer and speaker sound(expensive and frequent failures), 4-wheel drive works as it should. Check all power windows, locks, tranny shifting smoothly, color of all the fluids under the hood, tire wear for signs of bad wheel alignment.

My first advice would be to spend $150-$200 and have YOUR Lexus mechanic inspect it thoroughly(there are Japanese car Mechanics that advertise as such). The wheels will be pulled and the brake pads and bearings will be scrutinized. With mine, the brakes were good, but the wheel bearings were a bit loose. That was a $550 job to have the bearings repacked with grease, new seals installed, and a check for 'pitting' on the bearings themselves. had I known this before I purchased the vehicle, I would have offered less than the asking price; maybe agree to split the difference.
The timing belt should be changed at 90k miles, which is a minimum of $800 for just changing that, but the H2O pump is usually changed at the same time. Then there are the engine seals, tensioner pulley, drive belt, that can be changed at the same time since you're already paying all the labor time to remove a lot of engine components to get to the timing belt anyway. So now the job has gone from ~$800 to ~$1,700.

I love my 2002 lx470, but it came with a few issues, and since I bought it from an out-of-town dealership I could not check everything. Fortunately, the timing belt HAD been changed recently and I knew to check for all the other items I mentioned on my own.
CAR FAX report is $40 for a single report. In my opinion, it is worth it because it shows not only previous ownership and accidents, it CAN also show service records depending on where the previous owners had their work done. Not all shops have their work recorded in the CARFAX system.

I would also make sure that this vehicle has not been living in an area where there were devastating flooding problems such as Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and I think the East coast flood too.

Good luck!