LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

How to tap DVD changer output for additional headrest monitors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 03:00 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tap DVD changer output for additional headrest monitors.

Hello all, I am new to the Lexus forum. I have a 2006 Lexus LX470. I barely finished completing the DVD override and now I can play and watch DVD while car is in motion. However, I have trying to figure out a way to tap the DVD changer output to feed additional headrest monitors. It is possible? Any special kit needed? Is it a DIY kinda task? I will greatly appreciate any insights/help with this. Thanks.
Old 06-12-11, 08:27 AM
tripplej
Driver School Candidate

Just out of curiosity, how did you setup the over-ride to allow yourself to watch dvd on the console while driving or in park? I have 2010 GPS navigation dvd in place on my 2006 LX but I can't get the over-ride to work since I think it was removed as part of the 2010 GPS navigation dvd.
Old 06-13-11, 11:33 AM
Pkathee
Rookie

Tripplej,
You said that you can't get the over-ride to work. Is it something that you have tried? If yes, how did you go about it? Cuz the override thing I am talking about involves removing the DVD head unit and clipping/cutting a couple of wires....I know this sounds insane but that's the only way to go about it.
Old 06-13-11, 01:25 PM
tripplej
Driver School Candidate

The only over-ride that I know of is with a sequence of pushing certain "invisible" sections of the console to allow you the ability to watch dvd while in park but this "feature" was disabled on the 2010+ GPS navigation cd's.. I know with 2006 GPS navigation you can over-ride since the "feature" is not disabled.

Thanks for the info but I am kind of shy to cut wires.. so will have to wait on watching while in park.. or at least go to the second/third rows to watch it
Old 06-13-11, 01:43 PM
rgardjr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pkathee
Hello all, I am new to the Lexus forum. I have a 2006 Lexus LX470. I barely finished completing the DVD override and now I can play and watch DVD while car is in motion. However, I have trying to figure out a way to tap the DVD changer output to feed additional headrest monitors. It is possible? Any special kit needed? Is it a DIY kinda task? I will greatly appreciate any insights/help with this. Thanks.
I was going to do this on my 2006 LX470, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Here is a link to a wiring diagram that should help out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6044424-post2.html
It shows the NTSC signal coming out of the dvd changer and going to the nav unit. I spoke with a friend that owns a stereo shop and he says they needed to add a video amp once they tapped the signal to boost it for the external monitors. I have headrests with dvd players built in and that system has been working fine. That way I can listen to the stereo while the kids watch movies using the head phones.
I even bought one of these at Best Buy to make tapping the NTSC signal easier, but never bothered after enjoying not having to listen to the movie that my daughters are watching over the stereo like I had to in my 2000 LX470 setup.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...=1218193208670

Last edited by rgardjr; 06-13-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 10:19 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Originally Posted by tripplej
The only over-ride that I know of is with a sequence of pushing certain "invisible" sections of the console to allow you the ability to watch dvd while in park but this "feature" was disabled on the 2010+ GPS navigation cd's.. I know with 2006 GPS navigation you can over-ride since the "feature" is not disabled.

Thanks for the info but I am kind of shy to cut wires.. so will have to wait on watching while in park.. or at least go to the second/third rows to watch it
Tripplej,
I’m not in any way trying to convince you to proceed with this modification but it is actually pretty easy and straight forward (20-30 minute process). The whole concept behind it involves cutting/disconnecting the speed sensor signal wiring and grounding the emergency brake signal wiring that feeds to the head unit. Just a couple of wires to mess with but then you will enjoy watching DVD’s without any restrictions whatsoever.
Old 06-13-11, 10:29 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Originally Posted by rgardjr
I was going to do this on my 2006 LX470, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Here is a link to a wiring diagram that should help out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6044424-post2.html
It shows the NTSC signal coming out of the dvd changer and going to the nav unit. I spoke with a friend that owns a stereo shop and he says they needed to add a video amp once they tapped the signal to boost it for the external monitors. I have headrests with dvd players built in and that system has been working fine. That way I can listen to the stereo while the kids watch movies using the head phones.
I even bought one of these at Best Buy to make tapping the NTSC signal easier, but never bothered after enjoying not having to listen to the movie that my daughters are watching over the stereo like I had to in my 2000 LX470 setup.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...=1218193208670
rgardjr,
Thanks for the file upload. I'm definately going to look into it. It sounds like a DIY task as the wiring diagram is pretty straight forward. Anyway, I also wanted to go with the set up that you currently have and not worry about modifying the OEM DVD unit. How do you have your audio output connected? A couple of headphones or with car audio system via FM signal modulator? Cuz I simply cant swallow the fact that i'll let the ML dolby digital sorround sound go into waste.
Old 06-14-11, 08:03 AM
rgardjr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pkathee
rgardjr,
Thanks for the file upload. I'm definately going to look into it. It sounds like a DIY task as the wiring diagram is pretty straight forward. Anyway, I also wanted to go with the set up that you currently have and not worry about modifying the OEM DVD unit. How do you have your audio output connected? A couple of headphones or with car audio system via FM signal modulator? Cuz I simply cant swallow the fact that i'll let the ML dolby digital sorround sound go into waste.
Right now I have 4 sets of IR headphones. I do have the DICE Ipod adapter that has aux input capabilities (waiting for the cable to be released), but for now if I want to hear it over the car speakers it's through the FM modulator. I guess the Dolby Digital Surround is biggest benefit of tapping the changer vs a two channel feed from the headrests.