LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Locking the center-diff

Old 11-22-09, 07:12 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking the center-diff

I just bought a '00 LX on friday and so far I love it butttt...

There is one thing that has really got me stumped after buying it. When I was on the test drive I tested locking the center diff and I could feel it lock but no lights came on the dash and the "VSC OFF" didn't illuminate either. I can feel the 4WD being engaged but those bulbs do just not light up...and the VSC isn't burnt out cause it comes on to self check when I start the car. I have no idea what's up
Old 11-24-09, 11:01 AM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, there is a CDL push-type sensor on the T-case that tells the ECU the CDL is actually locked. If not exercised once in awhile, it'll give a false reading. Keep working the CDL over and over and it might start to work.

If not, you can remove the switch and work it a bit. Or short the 2 wire connector and see if the CDL light comes on, then you'll know the switch is bad. Sorry, I can't tell you which switch it is but I want to say passenger side rear on t-case. Resembles a spark plug with two wires on the end.
Old 11-24-09, 09:39 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!!! It took a while but the lights have started to come on...they're a bit delayed once the diff locks but I'll keep at it and get it good and exercised!
Old 11-25-09, 10:11 AM
Hoser
Driver

Great! Now go wheel that thing!
Old 09-20-10, 10:35 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Hey guys, I'm in the exact same spot. New LX470; during test drives I tested the transfer case several times but not the center diff; after purchase (doh!) I was trying the center diff but got no lights even tho I could feeel the diff locking; monkeying with the button several times and doing the straight line accelerations/decels the light finally started working. Now the light comes on every time but it is delayed about 20 seconds after the center diff actually locks.
Old 09-20-10, 02:05 PM
Hoser
Driver

It's not accel/decal that will help the CDL to engage but rather turning left and right. Follow my advice above about exercising and lubing the electrical switch on the t-case.
Old 09-20-10, 03:30 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Hoser, the LX manual specifically states that if there is trouble engaging or disengaging the CDL, it is recommended to accel/decel while driving a straight line. I copied this procedure and did in fact get the CDL to engage/disengage.

However...

... taking this problem further, I want to make engaging the CDL a smoother process so there's no problems once I'm already in the truck driving (isn't it too late then to be fussing with your gear working properly anyway?).

This weekend I'm going to copy your instructions for lubing parts. I want a to accomplish a true "fix", not a drive at a certain angle at a certain speed bandaid fix.

In fact, I'm going to dip the LX in grease this weekend as I'm getting the dead thump Zerk sound when lowering to 'L'.
Old 09-21-10, 07:47 AM
Hoser
Driver

Ahh, I guess they are talking about doing it on pavement. If you have the FSM, take a look at the T-case diagram. There are three electrical switches in total, one that detects low range, one that detects neutral and the one you want that detects CDL locked. This one is next to the CDL motor and I believe is on top of the T-case. You would have to drop the t-case to access. There is no access plate from on top of the transmission tunnel.

Might be easier to just work the dash button many more times before tackling the t-case switch.
Old 09-21-10, 09:24 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Hoser - thanks for the help so far! It's good know how much work is involved but I'm already getting committed to lube. I'm getting the thump sound when suspension is lowering. It's likely to be the zerk sound so I'll be under the car plenty this weekend and next.

I'll keep everyone posted.