LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Nakamichi 6-CD changer death and Power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 08:03 PM
djjoby1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi 6-CD changer death and Power window problems

hi everybody!

I have a 2000 LX470 and I really do love it.

I am new to post, but been on the site for sometime and appreciate the good information that is usually found on here.

I am a victim of the dreaded Nakamichi 6-CD changer jam up and subsequant cd player death and hoping for some help.
I got it out, got the cds out, put it back in and it still doesn't work.
it says cds are still in it.
so anyways, I found another cd player from a junkyard across the states from me and got it today. same exact model. factory. from a 2000 even junked at 40k miles (supposedly)
put it in the car and it turned on, radio worked, but cd player still doesn't work.
now, I am wondering if just by chance the replacement i got is also one someone jammed up, or if maybe it has something to do with the car's memory/computer?
i thought about unpluging the battery for a bit and seeing what happened, but I figured changing out the stereo makes it lose power to the stereo anyways, so maybe that's not the issue? and besides, if it was an aftermarket stereo i put in, the same problem obviously couldn't be happening then because the car can't send a msg saying "cd player don't play" can it? it just makes me wonder. i know this is a common problem, so i know it's very possible they sold me a bad stereo just like the one i already have...but i am curious...?

maybe it is another jammed up Nakamichi from hell so now i have 2???
anyone have a take on this or a similar story? anyone ever got the cds out and the cd player worked again?
or how about a story of an aftermarket stereo that fits in easy that you really like that looks nice in the dash.

now, on a side note. the driver's side power window and all the other windows on the car are not working. they are stuck in the up position. none of the buttons work on any of the windows. my buddy is a mechanic and he tried checking some wires, but he says he needs to find the power window relay. all the wiring diagrams point to this relay but don't tell where the hell it is on the car and we can't find it.
i bought a new master switch and it didn't fix it.

I have found quite a bit of information on this subject including some great pdfs that looked like they were from an official lx470 repair manual, but have been unable to diagnose this problem thus far.
anyone else out there have any power window problems like this that they got fixed or didn't get fixed or maybe kind of got fixed or anything like that?

please, any help, comments, questions, anything is appreciated.

I'll be checking back on the thread as much as my wife and 3 kids will let me....
Old 07-29-09, 01:58 PM
ndawg607
Driver School Candidate

I've just gone through a mess of "poltergist-Like" window problems on a 97 lx450, and replaced a few window motors (autozone offers them for $56, vs. dealer $269 each)found the relay in the drivers side door panel, and the master switch window switch to acutally be the problem.

Water had gotten into the master switch (window& lock buttons), and you could see oxidation on the connectors. I haven't priced out the master switch yet, but cleaned the wiring harness connectors with CRC brand sensitve electronics cleaner, and put back together with electric grease has allowed me to get all the windows UP (which is better than being stuck down).

The drivers side motor is wiring is different then the other 3 on the 1997 because its the only window with an "auto" up/down feature, so I haven't found a motor replacement yet.

I would start with the master switch, and the relay was hidden is the drivers side door, not sure if it's the same on 2000. Good Luck!
Old 03-31-10, 06:12 PM
lonhuffman
Driver School Candidate

I have the same model and problem.
How did you get the CDs out of the player?
Old 04-14-10, 10:32 PM
mrduck
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 lx with that same head unit works fine, do you want to buy it
how much did you get your used one for?