LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 01:53 PM
Norboo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

A rock just cracked my windshield and need to replace it soon. How much does it cost and is there cheaper way to do this? 2004 LX-470

Thank you
Old 07-24-07, 04:01 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norboo
A rock just cracked my windshield and need to replace it soon. How much does it cost and is there cheaper way to do this? 2004 LX-470

Thank you
I think you will be looking at Lexus prices for the windshield. Somewhere around $1500 unless you get to an independent place. Good Luck
Old 07-24-07, 08:24 PM
ELLEXX470
Driver School Candidate

Default Rain sensing wipers = $$

You need a Lexus windshield because of the sensors in the glass for the automatic rain sensing wipers in the 04
Old 07-24-07, 11:00 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ELLEXX470
You need a Lexus windshield because of the sensors in the glass for the automatic rain sensing wipers in the 04
Are you sure the rain sensors are in the glass rather than in a plastic module that sits on the glass? All the cars I've had (including a 2005 GX) have the rain sensor as a separate module from the glass (but it is glued to the glass just above the rear view mirror).

There are other reasons to consider genuine Lexus glass AND Lexus dealer installation, namely the potential that you will have excessive wind noise like in my 2002 LX that has an aftermarket windshield. I bought the vehicle this way and it is very annoying. I've seen a few posts on here that confirm the only way to cut out the wind noise is to replace with factory glass and having it done by someone who is trained to do it (has something to do with the factory glass being thicker than aftermarket ones and the proper installation of new factory windshield moldings). I have not done it because I couldn't justify the $1400+ cost at this point (versus a replacement aftermarket glass locally for this vehicle is about $175).

If I were you, I'd call the local dealer and see if they can recommend a good aftermarket place they trust. My local dealer will do factory glass but will also refer me to an aftermarket shop that they send people to who don't want to shell out the OEM product prices. And make sure that you take into account the moldings that need to be replaced (and not just re-used) so as to mitigate the chances of windnoise after you get your new windshield replaced.

Now, if you have the night vision heads up display, you will need to get factory glass I believe and I don't want to even think of how much that could cost.
Old 07-24-07, 11:33 PM
ELLEXX470
Driver School Candidate

Default yeah, your right about the rain sensor

[QUOTE=llcc1975;2793173]Are you sure the rain sensors are in the glass rather than in a plastic module that sits on the glass? All the cars I've had (including a 2005 GX) have the rain sensor as a separate module from the glass (but it is glued to the glass just above the rear view mirror).

Yep, your right, its the square box beside the rear view mirror. I had my windshield replaced in my 04 6 mths ago and they couldnt use a no name windshield and had to order it from Lexus for some reason, he told me it was because of the sensors.
Old 07-26-07, 08:32 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tint on the lexus glass is different. on my lx 450, it's bronze on all glass, as opposed to blue or green.

I have a pretty good glass replacement policy with my insurance company...have you thought about going that route?

oh...be sure they use a Lexus OEM gasket when installing the glass.
Old 07-27-07, 09:40 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Had my windshield replaced last October. The rain sensing sensor is the square thing next to the rear view mirror. There's a special rain-sensing tape that attaches it to the windshield. IIRC, the list on the tape is around $28. You just need the windshield, new mouldings, new rivets (the windshield is riveted in on both sides; most installers have never seen a windshield like this, so they get the installation wrong and it whistles), rain sensing tape. I'd have the dealer do it, as you have to pull away the interior stuff on the A-pillar (the lining and handle) and the roof liner up to the moonroof. You don't want anyone inexperienced messing w/ your rig. I heard of one guy who went to a cheapo glass shop, shop chipped up the paint and bent the metal around the windshield (guy couldn't get it out, tried to pray the old windshield out).
Old 07-29-07, 02:42 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have Lexus Night View? I have heard that it's upwards of $3k for windshield replacement if you have that option. Yikes!

Have you contacted your insurance agency to see if they will cover the cost of replacement? I paid the $500 deductible and had my insurance company replace my SC400 sunroof that had a crack in it due to a rock chip. The claim did not effect my rates.
Old 07-29-07, 05:44 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Had my windshield replaced last October. The rain sensing sensor is the square thing next to the rear view mirror. There's a special rain-sensing tape that attaches it to the windshield. IIRC, the list on the tape is around $28. You just need the windshield, new mouldings, new rivets (the windshield is riveted in on both sides; most installers have never seen a windshield like this, so they get the installation wrong and it whistles), rain sensing tape. I'd have the dealer do it, as you have to pull away the interior stuff on the A-pillar (the lining and handle) and the roof liner up to the moonroof. You don't want anyone inexperienced messing w/ your rig. I heard of one guy who went to a cheapo glass shop, shop chipped up the paint and bent the metal around the windshield (guy couldn't get it out, tried to pray the old windshield out).
Jim, how much did it cost (parts + labor) at the dealer? I have an '03 like yours and my windshield has cracked a smidgen as well and may need to start thinking of replacement... those dang rocks
Old 07-30-07, 04:01 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by bluestar
Jim, how much did it cost (parts + labor) at the dealer? I have an '03 like yours and my windshield has cracked a smidgen as well and may need to start thinking of replacement... those dang rocks
IIRC, it was around $996 out the door, all OEM parts. Insurance covered 100%, no inspection by an adjuster required! FYI, the OEM windshield I got was made in Japan, has a sticker in the upper right corner saying so and saying only the owner can remove the sticker. I have a couple of small dings in it already, one suffered on I-10 east of Riverside.
Old 07-31-07, 06:20 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

IIRC, it was around $996 out the door, all OEM parts. Insurance covered 100%, no inspection by an adjuster required! FYI, the OEM windshield I got was made in Japan, has a sticker in the upper right corner saying so and saying only the owner can remove the sticker. I have a couple of small dings in it already, one suffered on I-10 east of Riverside.
Thanks, Jim.... $996 ain't that bad My local Lex dealer is quoting me $1400 and that includes insurance adjuster eval. Kinda sucks for us in Cali to have to pay so much everytime. Oh well....
Old 08-01-07, 09:35 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by bluestar
Thanks, Jim.... $996 ain't that bad My local Lex dealer is quoting me $1400 and that includes insurance adjuster eval. Kinda sucks for us in Cali to have to pay so much everytime. Oh well....
Yeah, everything is more expensive in CA compared to AZ. Why do you think I bailed out of So. CA for? BTW, Chevron 91 is down to $2.92 now, 87 is $2.69.
Old 08-01-07, 10:23 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, everything is more expensive in CA compared to AZ. Why do you think I bailed out of So. CA for? BTW, Chevron 91 is down to $2.92 now, 87 is $2.69.
Do you have to rub it in like that?
Old 08-02-07, 10:11 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Check with your insurance company. In Florida its the law that your insurance company replaces it at no cost. Florida is considered a no fault state to insurance companies.
Old 08-02-07, 10:46 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by osomoso
Check with your insurance company. In Florida its the law that your insurance company replaces it at no cost. Florida is considered a no fault state to insurance companies.
No dice, dude. I lived in So. CA for 24 yrs. There is no separate glass coverage like in most states. Instead, it's part of one's comprehensive insurance, and if you want a low deductibe like $250, you'll have to pay dearly. The insurance companies treat getting your car broken into the same as the windshield getting hit by a rock. When I lived in NYS, glass coverage was standard.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement