LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 06:17 AM
krye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious why you had the steering rack replaced instead of just the bushings? The steering rack is a much more expensive part to replace. How many miles on your vehicle? The bushings could wear out faster if there are oil leaks of any kind on them
Old 03-07-16, 04:57 AM
Vfeuer
Driver School Candidate

Default Does anyone have a diagnosis

My Lexus LX 470 is in perfect running condition with 150k miles.
I always take it to the Lexus dealership twice a year and they replace whatever they tell me needs to be replaced. Driving down the highway on a clear sunny day at 70 miles an hour and the slip control activates and the braking system is engaged. Then the light starts flashing on the dashboard as well as the beeping sound. I'm having Lexus of Manhattan pick up my truck today but does anybody know what this is?
Old 03-21-16, 07:07 PM
wildem
Driver School Candidate

I have been very interested in this thread since I am having the same issue with my 2000LX with 154K miles on it. Amazing there are so many of us that are having similar issues and Lexus hasn't addressed it. My case seems to be narrowing in on my steering rack bushings being shot. I'm told the FSM says the two bushings on the rack are not serviceable but many folks out there say that they are and offer a number of choices. It is my belief that the new bushings will solve my issue. You might look into that before you give up on your LX.
Old 03-22-16, 05:11 AM
Vrfeuer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After Lexus of Manhattan told me they weren't sure what this was and my truck was coming up with perfect readings I read about this myself and I found out that once you get a wheel alignment they need to recalibrate. So they told me that that's what they did. I took my truck out for a 150 mile journey and there is a huge difference . The truck now just constantly beeps without it grabbing onto the wheels and violently jerking it to the left or to the right . Only on two occasions did it grab my wheels but it wasn't as violently as it used to be. The constant beeping though still scares me because it's a terrible noise and you know that as you're driving 70 miles an hour it's not supposed to be doing that . Yesterday I called Lexus of Manhattan and told them that it was much improved and he asked me if I just wanted to leave the vehicle alone and I told him know so he suggested that we change the wheel sensors. I'm not sure if at this point I'm just throwing parts at my beloved truck . You suggested that I change something that is not available I don't understand how I can do that . If it's easier when you want to talk to me in person my phone number is 917-363-0312 I hope you have a great day Victoria
The following users liked this post:
LS460Crown (09-07-19)
Old 03-28-16, 08:21 AM
wildem
Driver School Candidate

There are many users on this site that are far more sophisticated than I am when it comes to LX repair. I would recommend you wait for one of them to respond. My experience was that when I took my 2000LX to get an alignment I was told that my steering rack needed to be replaced because the bushings were worn out thus causing the entire rack to shift. This in turn would cause my wheel speed sensor to go off and occasionally apply the front right brake when making a slight curve (usually on a freeway overpass). Alarming for sure! Anyway the alignment shop told me that the rack has three bushings and only one of them is serviceable. The serviceable bushing is part number 45517. The other two smaller bushings are press fit into the rack and Toyota claims they are not serviceable and recommends changing out the entire steering rack. My mechanic and many on this and IH8MUD contend that the bushings are replaceable and can be purchased from a number of places. Try searching for steering rack bushing replacement on either site. Also here is a link to a bushing replacement kit on amazon.com (
Amazon.com: Whiteline W13210 Front Steering Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing: Automotive Amazon.com: Whiteline W13210 Front Steering Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing: Automotive
). I would reach out to a local shop and have them install a kit like this. It is a relatively cheap way to solve the rack moving side to side which on my LX appeared to effect the wheel speed sensor. Anyway, good luck!
Old 05-23-16, 01:02 PM
Krate
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC Problem; Automatic Braking

Hi, I had the same issue as others have reported on this thread with my 2000 LX 470. The problem started around 150k miles and has continued until now (175k miles). At first the problem was simply that if I went around certain curves in roads, the VSC alarm would sound but once I straightened the wheel the alarm would turn off. Early on there were no braking issues to accompany this alarm. Then, a few months ago, as I went around these same curves that usually triggered only the audio alarm, the vehicle started braking on its own, usually applying either the left front brake or right front brake depending on the type of curve. The problem got worse and worse over time and got to the point where the alarm was going off around very gentle curves and the brakes were applying automatically in random locations. As others have stated, this is extremely scary and life threatening. I took my vehicle to a highly regarded independent Lexus/Toyota repair shop in Dallas and the diagnosis is faulty power steering rack. There is too much "play" in it which is causing the vehicle to think it is flipping over, even though it is simply going around a curve in the road. The fix is to replace the entire power steering rack. I will report back if this fixes the problem.

I agree that this issue is worthy of recall status.
furtfurt (09-06-22)
Old 06-01-16, 12:00 PM
Krate
Driver School Candidate

Default My Prior Post

Just wanted to follow up on my immediately prior post. I had my entire power steering column (rack & pinion) replaced and this fixed the problem. No more beeping or automatic braking or VSC warning light. And the steering is much tighter now.
Old 06-08-16, 03:34 PM
richsaw
Driver School Candidate

Default Sudden brake application

Originally Posted by Krate
Just wanted to follow up on my immediately prior post. I had my entire power steering column (rack & pinion) replaced and this fixed the problem. No more beeping or automatic braking or VSC warning light. And the steering is much tighter now.
Best answer reading thru this blog seems to be replacing the power steering column...3 separate people have addressed the problem this way. These 3 are the only ones to have signicant satisfaction. Thanks!!😊
Old 06-08-16, 09:21 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Krate
The rack & pinion translate movement from the steering wheel through the column and move the tie rods to turn your wheels. I'm assuming they left the original column and just replaced the steering rack & pinion.

Originally Posted by richsaw
Best answer reading thru this blog seems to be replacing the power steering column...3 separate people have addressed the problem this way. These 3 are the only ones to have signicant satisfaction. Thanks!!😊
See above...I'm thinking replacing the steering rack fixes the issue, not the steering column.

Am I correct?
Old 09-27-16, 07:43 AM
CPridemore
Driver School Candidate

Default Anti-Slip Problems

Hey after reading this thread it sounds like I am having the exact same problem and it is only getting worse. My 2001 LX470 is at 305,000 so I am definitely looking for the cheapest way possible since my truck may have limited life left. Any rcommendations would be great.
Old 10-11-16, 11:12 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

My 01LX had a similar problem nearing 200k miles. The VSC and skid lights came on and the brakes pulsed on a curve, but cleared up when straightened out. After a few days later it happened again. A few more and it got more persistent. Then it started happening even when driving straight. I limped it in to the dealer and told them TRAC was malfunctioning by going into full effect even when driving on a straight line on a dry road. They replaced the Yaw Rate Sensor and it has been running without such incidents for 6+ years since.
Old 11-29-16, 02:16 PM
Clynch7743
Driver School Candidate

Alright, I'm going to throw another log on this fire. Mine is an '02 LX470 and I am having the same issues. Not so much on straight roads, but for sure on curved roads, on/off ramps from the interstate, etc.

Has anyone solved this riddle yet? There are some very old posts with this issue.

I absolutely love this truck and want to give it to my son who just got his license...........but not until this is solved. I then will probably get another one just like it, only less miles.

In the same boat as CPridemore. I don't want to sink a bunch of money into the car, especially if it has a limited lifespan left. So what are some of these sensors and suspension fixes costing you guys?

Thanks in advance.
Schroeck83 (08-31-17)
Old 11-29-16, 03:33 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Clynch: There are lots of sensors and controllers (computers) in these vehicles; so the first thing I would do is have the dealer check for any codes; especially the manufacturer codes that do not trip the MIL. Many, including Lexus, are now doing the code check for no cost and can include it with the courtesy maintenance check via coupon or service offer. The most likely cause if there are no specific codes seems to be the rack and pinion. Check post #35 regarding a less expensive approach to fixing the rack and pinon.
Old 12-22-16, 02:42 AM
dannyboylx
Driver School Candidate

Hi all wife took my car Lx 470 2001 229000 miles and while on the freeway travelling at 95miles around a sharp bend the cars steering started to swirf left and right until she straighten up on the road and press brakes. There was no warning lights or warning sounds in the car.

Recently did my brakes pads front and back and discs machined and dealer put new tyres but didn't do wheel alignment.Car drives fine no vibration and alignment is dead straight no play. Read about this on Google being a common problem on the Lx around bends but with VSC light coming on and car appling brakes by itself didn't happen tho.Some say could be wheel sensors, power steering rack (has a slight leake),or wheel bearings.

​​​​​
Old 12-22-16, 08:30 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Clynch7743
Alright, I'm going to throw another log on this fire. Mine is an '02 LX470 and I am having the same issues. Not so much on straight roads, but for sure on curved roads, on/off ramps from the interstate, etc.

Has anyone solved this riddle yet? There are some very old posts with this issue.

I absolutely love this truck and want to give it to my son who just got his license...........but not until this is solved. I then will probably get another one just like it, only less miles.

In the same boat as CPridemore. I don't want to sink a bunch of money into the car, especially if it has a limited lifespan left. So what are some of these sensors and suspension fixes costing you guys?

Thanks in advance.
Read the posts above. The only way you can find out whether or not you need to "sink a bunch of money into the car" is to have it checked by a dealer or good indy shop to see what the cause is. Asking about what possible fixes cost is impossible until / unless you have the cause of the issue. I'd also check the 100 series forum on mud.

Originally Posted by dannyboylx
Hi all wife took my car Lx 470 2001 229000 miles and while on the freeway travelling at 95miles around a sharp bend the cars steering started to swirf left and right until she straighten up on the road and press brakes. There was no warning lights or warning sounds in the car.

Recently did my brakes pads front and back and discs machined and dealer put new tyres but didn't do wheel alignment.Car drives fine no vibration and alignment is dead straight no play. Read about this on Google being a common problem on the Lx around bends but with VSC light coming on and car appling brakes by itself didn't happen tho.Some say could be wheel sensors, power steering rack (has a slight leake),or wheel bearings.
​​​​​
I'd probably advise my wife to slow down a bit if she's actually doing 95 around a sharp bend. If she can do that in an LX, she may have a job offer from a race team.

Google shows it as a so-called problem simply because those who don't have the problem never post that the truck drives fine.

Read my answer to Clynch7743's post above. You have zero idea as to the issue until and unless the cause is pinpointed. Take it to a competent mechanic. You can sit in front of the computer all day and night playing guessing games or spend a little bit to isolate the problem. If it were my wife's truck, it would be in the shop until the issue is identified.

See my answer to

Quick Reply: LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???