LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 07:36 AM
Brock48
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default VSC Problem..cheap(ish) fix

I have a 2000 LX 470, 206K miles. At around the 140K miles mark we started getting this problem. Ours happened when gassing up from a dead stop and the ABS would start engaging as your foot was on the accelerator...like in the middle of an intersection or pulling out onto a busy road. The vcs light(s) and anti slip(?) lights would flicker on in unison with the brakes/abs function engaging.

Lexus Dealer said I needed to replace ABS unit to the tune of $3,500. My local guy said that was kind of his assumption and he could do it for $2,800. However, he also thought it was focused on the front driver-side tire and that it could just be a bad sensor, which was a little more than $300.

It was a leap of faith (a $300+ risk) but it cured the problem. Almost 70k miles later, she is running well.

Brock
The following 2 users liked this post by Brock48:
kdllx470 (07-12-19), LS460Crown (09-07-19)
Old 09-15-11, 01:23 PM
Lexusist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It Seems A lot of LX 470 owners are having same problem. I expect Lexus to Do a recall on this particular model. I had the same problem: The VSC light came up on the dashboard and the wheel locked suddenly while i was driving on the highway. It was a scary moment of my life. Thank God the trailer behind me turn slightly to the right before it got closer to me, it could have been worst situation. I think Every LX 470 owner in this forum should agree to to send a petition to lexus for a recall on this particular model, the situation is a common problem with all LX 470 after a certain mile, this could cost someone their life if nothing is done. If you are with me send me a message to my inbox.

Thanks
Old 09-19-11, 05:54 AM
krye
Rookie

Default LX 479 VSC/Slip Control Problem

Sounds like a number of unrelated issues posted. Wheel sensors can cause these problems and should be checked and connections disconnected and reconnected. Same goes for the brake control module.

Wheel bearings/ball joints/tie rod ends could cause issues with the wheel vibrating and then tripping the wheel sensors. Note that these issues should also create uneven tire wear which should be observed by mechanics
Old 09-19-11, 05:55 AM
socallex
Driver School Candidate

I ended up selling our truck. It was a painful day! It was a sad day. I'm not a paranoid person but I couldn't shake that memory. My wife drive it 90 percent of the time and it wasn't worth the risk.
I don't believe it was common enough for Lexus to resolve especially since it is so random.
Good luck !
Old 11-10-11, 08:19 AM
JohnnyW
Driver School Candidate

It's very interesting to me how this issue has happened frequently with the 2000 LX 470 and with about 140k miles. That's exactly my situation which just started happening.....2000 LX 470 with 139k miles and the swerving symbol comes on and the brakes lock etc.....it's happened the last two days at exactly the same curve on the road. It is frightening.
Old 11-19-11, 05:02 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LX-470 swrived, rebooted while driving too...

It happened to my truck twice in the past, I'd be driving on the highways and the dash flashed and there was beeping for a few seconds. I felt I did not have control of the truck because there was no power and brakes and steering - the vehicle swirved all over but I managed to keep it straight until everything came back normal.

I put dielectric grease in all connectors I could find and also the fuses - it went away and it's been 30k miles since it happened last.

Today, my VSC track, vsc off, and check engine lights came on while I am driving on the highway again.

I read something online about the gas cap being old or loose - I cleaned my original gas cap and turned it a few times while putting it back on. All the warning lights went away.
Old 02-25-15, 06:34 AM
Cdrive
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus - No Thanks!

After several years of driving our Lexus LX, it developed a serious problem. Several times at highway speeds and traveling under the speed limit the VSC warning buzzer activated, the VSC light flickered and the vehicle started braking on its own. A super scary moment for sure! Had there been another vehicle behind us the results could have catastrophic. I contacted the dealer and was told "yes, we have seen this problem a lot". After hearing this I was hopeful a solution was close in hand but when I asked what the solution was, I was told "just slow down". Dumbfounded, I called Lexus headquarters and after several days of run around was finally connected with a supervisor ( Mr Wong) in the customer satisfaction department. The supervisor listened to my story and I also mentioned I had found record of many other LX owners with the same issue. His response however was that there was absolutely no problem with the vehicle VSC system and the system was working like it should! I can't believe Lexus would take such a callus position when it came to the health and security of my family. My sincere advice...:O NOT BUY THE LEXUS LX, or perhaps any other Lexus model for that matter!
Old 03-02-15, 07:17 AM
dasgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some causes and some solutions to VSC problems

I have also had this problem as I stated in an earlier post. It started out as a problem that would only occure on an angled curve (like a circular ramp from one highway to another). When the truck was leaning to the left, the right wheel would brake. Using the Toyota Tech software I could see that the wheel angle sensor inaccurately indicated the wheel was turning completely to one side. So when the truck would lean it would throw the yaw sensor. The computer sees the truck leaning and the wheel turned all the way to one side and thinks the vehicle is out of control. It tries to correct by braking the opposite wheel.

I ordered a wheel sensor in and it did not correct the problem. The next step in the Lexus Service Manual troubleshooting was a replacement of the ECU for ABS and VSC (PN 89540-60160). Not wnating to spend $1800 and only have an issue under certain conditions, I decided not to replace the ECU.

The problem became more common and under more normal driving conditions. I discussed the problem with Lexus and they explained anonther common cause: wheel bearings need to be repacked. If the wheel bearings are loose, the wheel can move slightly thowing a code with the wheel speed sensor on the wheel and telling the ECU that the vehicle is out of control. I had the wheel bearings repacked and the problem stopped occurring (except under the very specific conditions above). I think this is probably the most common cause ot the braking. So first check your front wheels by jacking the truck up and checking for any play in the wheel.

To solve my persistent problem with the wheel angle reading, I have purchased a used ECU from a salvage truck. I should get it this week, and will update this thread on the result. It should fix the inaccurate wheel angle sensor reading.

One thing I have seen is few Toyota or Lexus service people are good at solving this problem. I had to educate myself on this issue by reading the factory service manual and getting a copy of the Toyota TechStream software discussed in other posts.

So from my experience, while very scary this is not a recall issue. It is caused by either a failed part (wheel angle sensor, wheel speed sensor, ABS/VSC ECU) or a wheel bearing needing to be repacked.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
gjarm (05-25-22)
Old 03-02-15, 07:20 AM
volvofixer
Driver School Candidate

Default Anti Skid causing loss of control!

The vsc tracs light and alarm sound when you don't expect it!"

Here is what I have:

I have 2000 Lexus LX 470 with 160k miles. While traveling 30-70 mph into a sweeping right hand curve on a clear (30-50 degree) morning with dry road , the vehicle's left (I think) front brake engaged via the anti slip control and causes some serious control issues! AS in you think you are going to wreck! Also, the VSC alarm sounds and lights go on. The interruption of steering control continuity is so extreme I at first thought I had a tire to blow out! I was fortunately able to pull over and restart the vehicle which reset the anti skid. Usually the audible alarm will beep beep beep until you counter with a sharp steering wheel blip to the left, unless you stop and restart the vehicle. The vehicle will do the same malfunction when making a sweeping turn to the left with spontaneous brake application that is just a upsetting!

Unless you have experienced this spasmodic event, you can NOT appreciate the risk that it puts you, and other on the road in! Not to mention it will scare the pants off you!

The only trouble codes that have ever been present are "steering angle sensor".

The following have been replace with new Lexus parts and we still have the problem.

Steering angle sensor,

Thrust angle sensor (Yaw rate sensor)

I have centered the steering wheel and re calibrated the steering angle sensor after having the front suspension aligned. And checked it each time and recalibrate the system every time repairs have been made to anything in the system. (Lexus factory scan tool and Launchpad scanners)

Front suspension components are all tight.

I have replaced both rear wheel bearings, pulse wheels and seals.(new from Lexus

I have replaced both front wheel bearings and seals (new from Lexus)

I have replaced all four ABS sensors (new from Lexus)

We have replace the ABS/anti skid control module with a known good one

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated that would help get the vehicle repaired.
Old 03-09-15, 10:00 AM
dasgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried a used ECU. No change. WTF?

So I got my used ECU in the mail and had a chnce to try it this weekend. It did not correct my steering wheel angle sensor showing a false reading of something like 1159 in the TechStream software. So I am a little puzzeled.

So at this point I have replaced the steering sensor and the ECU. I guess there is a chance that the ECU I bought off of eBay has the same problem.

My next step is going to be to try and test the steering sensor per the factory manual with an oscilloscope and test all the wires (I know a failed wire is very unlikely.)

Originally Posted by volvofixer
I have centered the steering wheel and re calibrated the steering angle sensor after having the front suspension aligned. And checked it each time and recalibrate the system every time repairs have been made to anything in the system. (Lexus factory scan tool and Launchpad scanners)
I did not find any way to recalibrate the steering angle sensor in the TechStream software. Does anyone know where or how I can do this?
Old 05-19-15, 11:39 PM
easypeasy
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem at 197,000 miles on my LX 470. The steering system and wheels would seize up at very slow speeds on occasions. Then months later a wheel seized up going 70mph, I think right front since the truck took a hard right. I thought I was going to roll as the truck hard steered right. It was 90 degrees into its spin when it released the lock up. Scary! VSC light/warning engaged too.I was going to replace the sensors but instead took truck in to shop owned by certified Lexus mechanics I had the bearings repacked, the c/v boots replaced, Power steering rack replaced, all brake pads replaced, caliper pins cleaned and lubricated, and rotors machined to remove glaze. I am 214,400 miles and good as new. I have 18" wheels, by the way. I hope this helps!
Old 11-14-15, 09:34 AM
LR94570
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 GX 470 which has been a great vehicle. On occasion (infrequently), the steering will pull sharply to the right with a "gear grinding sound" and the VSC light comes on. So far, local lexus shop and dealer can't find anything (and admitted "no, really haven't seen this before"). Anyone else have similar experiences and suggestions on problem/solution? Very unnerving...to me and cyclists in right lane.
Old 12-17-15, 10:57 PM
garaml7111
Driver School Candidate

Default steering moves by itself

my steeing moves 30' 180 degree by itself many times. 4 different dealer said this is normal. did u fix ur car?

QUOTE=spwallin;5515577]These are pretty old posts. I wonder -- was the issue ever resolved and if so, how? I have the same issue with my 2003 LX470 with 66Kmiles.

A little background:
I just had a front end alignment during which the tie rods were adjusted to correct the steering wheel center position which had been for a few months offset about 30 degrees to the left for some unexplained reason and without any driving issues. Then, after driving about 50 miles, the issue started with front brakes randomly applying hard (sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both) for a couple seconds, accompanied by the skid icon and audible alarm but no error lights. Gets your attention!

I use an excellent and fully certified independent Toyota/Lexus mechanic who is mystified. The computer shows nothing useful so far.

Is it likely that the mechanical steering center position adjustment could have affected the variable gear ratio steering control and caused an interaction with skid control somehow? I understand this vehicle has 17 computers that interact.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve[/QUOTE]
Old 12-17-15, 10:59 PM
garaml7111
Driver School Candidate

did u fix ur car? steering movement? mine moves 30 ~ 180 degree many times but dealer keep saying car is normal. plz help me!
Old 01-04-16, 04:04 PM
ait109
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering Rack

I had this problem for a year on my 2000 LX470. It got to the point where the system would activate multiple times on a single drive. Shop was reporting failing wheel sensors. Replaced all four wheel speed sensors - no help. I had an alignment done and they told me that my steering rack bushings were shot. Replaced the steering rack - Not a single problem since then.

Ed

Quick Reply: LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???