LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

What are good prices for a 98-00 LX? ***LX is King of SUV's***

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 09:01 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default What are good prices for a 98-00 LX? ***LX is King of SUV's***

I am in the market for a daily comfortable SUV as my 2003 FX35 retires after 80k miles. It was fun, sporty and a great car, but I am ready for a real SUV. I have always felt that the LX/LC have been the kings of the SUV ever since I laid my eyes on a beautiful 1996 pearl white/gray two tone LX450 at a time where the boxy, dated range rover was the best out there, but who wants all those problems, right? I have been "in love" with the LX for a long time, and like all my other car passions (I've owned 26 cars in 17 years of driving) I plan to make it come true by purchasing one. I need some help, though:

Based on everything I've read, stay away from the 98 and 99 as they had some issues with starters, differentials and electrical...RIGHT? The 2000 offers you the wood on the steering wheel, GPS options, spoiler options and different lug bolt pattern to upgrade. I plan on putting some 20's or 22's on it that are classy, but aggressive. Not a pimp mobile, just bigger than stock.

Next, I am wondering about dependability. I have owned eight different lexus vehicles and have never shyed away from a higher mileage one, except for my 95 SC400, which had 80k on it and had a laundry list of expensive problems. I know generally the LX is a very dependable truck, but what do you look out for? Of course, like any used car, it all depends on the previous owner's maintenance and where it was done, etc. RIGHT?

Last question...what is a "good" price for a 2000 LX? I found a 2000 on eBay with 75k on it for $22k. I am trying to stay in the under $20k range since this will be parked next to my SC430 and my Jeep. Thanks!
Old 12-20-06, 11:14 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned my 98 LX since 99, and it's news to me about the started, diff etc problems. I might be lucky, but my only problem so far was the oxigen sensor and a couple of lights went off in the dash. 160k on the odometer now. Regular use off-road.

I actually always thought that the 98-99 are more desirable, as these have the locking rear diff. It was dropped later on unfortunately. This is what stops me from upgrading.
Old 12-21-06, 03:57 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole LX/LC line has the starter and manifold risk... albeit a very low one. The nice thing about buying a higher mileage one is that you can check the manifolds out before you buy. Starter contacts... well, make sure it starts before you buy

I'm also not 100% sure, but I believe the wheel pattern never changed.

Wholesale auction value for an '00 LX is $19,200
Average auction mileage is 96,700
Expect average retail to be $20,500
Old 12-21-06, 06:39 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Checkout www.sleeoffroad.com under their techinal section. They have a list of what to look for and also tells you all of the differences by model year. Newer is normally better, 2000+ comes with traction control which makes the SUV safer. But you are right it is an individual LC/LX how it was treated and taken care of thing. I also agree with aedgington psot. Good luck in your search.

Information for new 1998+ Toyota Land Cruiser 100 series and Lexus LX470 owners
Our Newbie Guide for the 80 Series Land Cruiser proven very popular, so we decided to compile one for the 100 series as well.

This guide is intended as a quick read for new owners and will hopefully point them in the right direction as far as obtaining service, help and support. This guide applies mostly to US based 100 Series (or Lexus LX 470's) unless otherwise noted.

The information on this list is a compilation of personal experience, submissions from readers and knowledge gained from belonging to the 100 Series email list and the forums on www.ih8mud.com

This guide should not be taken as a do all, end all. Personal responsibility should still be taken for any purchase or modification made based on the information supplied on this list. Sleeoffroad.com does not guarantee the correctness of the information or the content of this guide.

HOW TO INSPECT A USED TRUCK
We get asked a lot to inspect vehicles, or what should one look for when evaluating a used vehicle. Below is a list of items we look at. Some are specific to the 80 Series Land Cruiser and some are generic.

Body

Carfax is a good source for checking the accident history of the vehicle. However, unless the car was totaled even major accidents might not show up. This is typically the case then a car was repaired for the existing owner. The following are some items to look for in checking for accident damage.

Signs of overspray on trim pieces, lights and inner fenders
Weld and signs of repair work on inner fenders, core supports and underside of body
Check for VIN stickers in doors, hood, tailgate. Late model 80 Series had stickers attached to every body panel.
Check body panels with a magnet. If body filler was used, the magnet won't stick in places.
Use Polaroid sun glasses and look at the paint. Repainted panels will stand out, especially if they are metallic paint.
Check body lines and panel gaps for alignment
Check A/B/C/D pillars for overspray or signs of paint matching. These are the normal placed where the body shop will try to blend the paint if just one panel was painted.
Check the overall shine of the paint on different panels.
Check for dirt in the paint, or changes in texture. The factory paint is uniform and clean.
Check behind the rock panels, fenders and tailgates for signs of repair.
Check the edges of body panels for paint masking marks or body filler.
Check for marks on frame where it might have been pulled on a frame straightening machine
Electrical

On vehicles where a lot of accessories were added bad wiring can cause endless headaches.

Check all lights, horn, interior lights and electrical parts for functionality
Check fuse box for incorrect wire taps or modifications
Check for blown fuses
Check condition of battery
Check for corrosion under battery tray
If possible, remove dash panel below steering wheel or look underneath. This is most often the spot where accessories are installed. Check the neatness of the installation and correct splicing of wires. A rats nest is normally an indication that the work was not done properly.
Check for additional wires that were added to the positive terminal on the battery. Check that these were done properly, routed properly and fused properly.
Look underneath the back and along the frame rails to see if any trailer wiring was done properly.
Interior

Indications that the interior was kept clean and maintained is normally a good indication of the overall owners attitude towards the vehicle. Do not confuse a detailed interior with one that was kept clean on a regular basis.

Check for scratches on plastic trim pieces.
Check condition of upholstery, headliners, door panels and trim pieces.
Check under seats for dirt
Check the operation of the electric seat
Check the operation of all the heater controls, radio and other accessories
Check interior lights
Check for mildew and water stains on carpet.
Drive Train

Check head/block interface for antifreeze leaks.
Check outside of steering knuckles for oil & grease. Caked on dirt and grease is a good indication that the inner axle seals has failed some time ago and internal components could be damaged or worn beyond service specs.
Remove the square fill plug on the knuckle and take a sample of the grease. If the grease is runny, it is also an indication that the differential oil is running into the knuckle.
Check if radiator has been replaced. This could be indications of overheating conditions previously.
Check if there are deposits in the coolant overflow bottle. This could also indicate deposits in the radiator.
Check for leaks underneath.
Check tires for uneven wear.
Check tires to for the same tread on all tires.
Check that all the tires are the same brand and size
Check condition of spare and if it is the correct wheel
Check if any drive train components have been replaced. If so, try to determine why.
Check for vibrations during drive.
Check all fluids to see how dirty they are. Dirty fluids are an indication of owner neglect.
Run the engine at normal temperatures and check for unusual smells
Listen for any unusual sounds
Check for signs of any emissions equipment that might be removed.
Check exhaust system for rust, holes and repairs
Check for blue or white smoke when car accelerates.
Check the the automatic transmission shifts smoothly
Check that the electric lockers engage by turning them on in low range and driving on a low traction surface
Apply the brakes at different speeds and see if there is any fade, or if the vehicle pulls sideways.
Apply brakes lightly and check for any vibrations through the peda
Turn the steering from lock to lock and listed for any noises and/or roughness
Test drive the vehicle at highway speed and see if there are any vibrations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Model Specifications

Drivetrain
(Changes listed for the 1999-1998 are in comparison to the 80 Series US Spec Land Cruiser, the rest of the changes are listed with reference to the previous 100s Series Land Cruiser)

Introduction of the new body style and 4.7L V8 2UZ-FE Motor. The motor is a DOHC motor with 230 hp at 4800 rpm and 320 ft.lbs of torque at 3200 rpm
4 speed Transmission - A343F
Rear Electric Locking Differential Lock was optional equipment
HF2A full-time 2 speed transfer case with center differential lock
Unlike the 80 series, the transfer case does not have a viscous coupler.
Rear differential was changed to a 9.5" ring gear.
Rear differential is a 4 pinion diff with ratio of 4.3
Front differential only has 2 pinion gears.
Rear axle is a semi-floater 32 spline design.
Wheel studs changed to 14mm 1.5 treat pitch
Bolt pattern for wheels changes to 5 on 150mm
Wheel Lug Nuts changed to 22mm
Front suspension was changed to a IFS system with torsion bar springs.

Rear AC was added as an option
Rear Differential Locker was an option

Drivetrain

VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) added
A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) added
EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) added
Rear Differential Locker was no longer available as an option
Front differential was changed from a 2 pinion to a 4 pinion unit.

Exterior

A tether connecting the fuel cap to the fuel lid has been fitted
The aluminum wheel with chrome tone painting has been adopted.

Interior

CRS (Child Restraint System) lower anchorage for securing child seats has been provided behind the seat cushion of center and left side seat of rear No.1 seat

CRS anchor brackets for securing a child seat have been provided on the floor behind the rear No.1 seat.

The one-touch auto up-and-down function are provided in the power windows of all doors.

An automatic glare-resistant EC (electrochromic) mirror system has been adopted for the inner rearview mirror.

A compass has been integrated in the inner mirror. This compass
is standard equipment on the models without the multi-information display.

A DVD Based voice navigation System with 7" touch screen was offered as an option

6-disc DVD automatic changer is provided in the rear console box as an option, together with the multi-display

No Major Changes

Exterior

The front bumper and radiator grille design was changed.
changed
The rear back door name plate molding was changed
Running board design was changed
The roof rack was added as optional equipment
The rear turn-signal lights was changed from amber to clear
The roof-rail has been adopted as optional equipment.
275/65R17 tires with 17x8JJ-60 wheels are provided as standard equipment.
275/60R18 tires with 18x8JJ-60 wheels are provided as optional equipment.
Wheels were redesigned
Interior

The center cluster of the dashboard was changed
The combination meter design was changed
Added the new steering wheel with controls on the center pad
The pillar handles and coat hook was changed for the vehicles with side curtain airbags
The screen of the multi display was changed to a touch screen
A voice recognition system was added to the GPS system
Side and curtain shield airbags were adopted as optional equipment
Drive and passenger airbag system was changed to a dual-stage unit.
An RSAS (Rear Seat Audio System) was added as standard equipment.
Power tilt and telescoping features added to the steering column
Drivetrain

Engine Output increased to 235hp
Changed to a drive by wire with an accelerator position sensor on the accelerator pedal
An A750F 5 speed automatic transmission was added
Rack and pinion steering was changed to Variable Gear.
The throttle position sensor was changed to a no-contact unit.
Charcoal canister capacity increased and moved to above the spare tire.
Shift pattern for transmission was changed to a gate type.
The front and rear driveshafts were updated with stronger U-joints and larger tubes
Propeller Tube Diameter ’03 Model (A750F) ’02 Model (A343F)
Front 65.0 mm (2.6 in.) 54.0 mm (2.1 in.)
Rear 75.0 mm (3.0 in.) 65.0 mm (2.6 in.)
The differential gears were changed to a 4.1 ratio.
The tow hitch was offered as optional equipment
The rear cross member was changed to accept a towing hitch that can be bolted to the rear cross member.
Catalytic converters were changed
Radiator fin pitch was changed for better cooling
Alternator was changed to a high output segment conductor type
Fuel cutoff switch when airbags are deployed was added
Crank Hold Feature was added. This feature will keep the starter engaged, once the ignition switch is turned to the START position without having to keep the key in the START position.

Interior

Added power lumber support for the passenger seat.
A Bluetooth hands-free function was added to the multi function display
The backup camera system was added as an option.
Exterior

The color of the windshield and front door glass has been changed from bronze to green.
The privacy glass for the rear door, rear door quarter, quarter, and back door has been changed to dark-gray tempered glass.
Drivetrain

SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) accepted and service interval increased. The color of this coolant is pink and the initial change interval is 100 000 miles, and every 50 000 miles thereafter. Previous interval was every 30 000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. The coolant comes pre-mixed and does not require diluting.
The transmission dipstick was removed. The fill position is now checked at the overflow plug.
ATF-W (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is now specified instead of the ATF-T-IV. The ATF WS is not interchangeable with other types of ATF (ATF type T-IV, or D-II).

18" wheels become standard equipment
Lexus LX470 Differences

The Lexus LX470 share the same drivetrain and the 100 Series Land Cruiser, but there are distinct differences in both appearance and appointments. In some cases items that were added to the 100 Series in later model years, was available since introduction on the LX470. In some cases some items were never offered in the Land Cruiser. The major technical changes occurred at about the same time. Below is a partial listing of the different items from the LX470:

The highbeam headlights are the multi–reflector type and the lowbeam headlights and the foglights are the projector type.
Body cladding on the doors and quarter panels
Power telescoping and tilt steering column available from 1998 onwards
Combination meter design is different using backlit gauges and needles
Wheel design is different from the Land Cruiser
Front and rear Auto AC systems standard equipment from 1998 onwards
Active Height Control Suspension and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AHC & AVS) standard equipment from 1998 onwards

A genuine leather with wood steering and a wood shift **** have been provided as optional equipment.

Chrome plated 16" wheels offered as optional equipment

A Mark Levinson 9 speaker stereo system was offered as an option

No Major Changes

The rear wind deflector with high-mounted stoplight was added as optional equipment.

Running board lights were added as optional equipment.

The roof rack can be ordered as a color matched unit

Tires were changed to 275/60R18

Rain sensing wiper system was added

The air conditioning system was changed so that the recirculation control will switch to RECIRC, even if the mode was set to FRESH if the smog ventilation sensor detects the entry of the exhaust gas into the cabin

Power windows can now be operated with the key or the transmitter.

The power windows and moon roof can now be opened with the wireless door lock remote control system

The LEXUS link system has been added as optional equipment

A forward night view system was added as optional equipment

The tinted glass color was changed from bronze to green and the rain sensor and night view camera was optimized for the new glass color

Leather seat material was changed from imperial to majesty

The LEXUS parking assist system has been added as standard equipment

The LEXUS Link was discontinued.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KNOW ISSUES

1998/1999 Accelerator position and throttle position sensors can cause malfunction and cause a situation where the truck does not respond to throttle input.

Starter contact can wear out. The starter is located under the intake manifold.

EXTERIOR

2.1 Getting the mud off

After that Sunday drive through the mud and dirt, the easiest and safest way to clean the underside of the truck is to use a garden sprinkler under the truck. This will soak the mud and dirt until it just falls off. In the end the truck will be clean and the driveway dirty.

2.2 Mud flaps

If you do decide to remove the running boards front mud flaps are available.

2.3 Snorkels - Why you need them!

Snorkels are needed when you expect to do a lot of deep water crossings. The snorkel requires drilling 1 large hole and a number of smaller ones in the truck. It essentially moves the air intake, which in the stock form is located in the passenger front fender, to the roof line.

Performance gains from the snorkels is often debated, but this should not be the first reason to install one.

When installing a snorkel on a US Spec 100 series the automatic antenna must be removed and replaced with a whip. A early 1992 Toyota Pickup antenna is a close fit, except that the lead is to short. It needs to be extended. The bottom of the antenna also has to be cut shorter and supported with a custom bracket.

2.4 What are those 4 holes on the back bumper

2.5 Trailer Wiring

3. INTERIOR

3.1 Cracking leather seats

The leather seats do crack eventually. Applying a good conditioner from time to time does help. The skins for the seats can be purchased and replaced, but this is an expensive option.

3.2 Installing a CB

Option 1: Replace stereo use regular single din stereo as opposed to double din which is stock Toyota. If using single din stereo then mount below regular stereo in extra space.

Option 2: Cobra "all in the mic" units can be installed under the seat or under the center console.

3.3 Installing auxiliary CB speakers

Interior dome light housings can be converted to accept small speakers. These can then be mounted to the roof liner. The transparent "lens" is then covered with cloth for a factory look.

3.4 Rear Drawer Systems

"The first thing a lot of 80 Owners do is remove the rear 3rd row seats and replace them with a storage system, which is very handy for storing all the recovery gear and those bits and pieces that we need to take 4-wheeling. Some have a fridge roller fitted so that a 12v fridge can be mounted safely and rolled out for access. The other benefit of storing everything in drawers is you still have a flat area to use and if you add a bed extension behind the front seats you can have a bed measuring approx 180cm x 145cm. There are many different types ranging from the basic do -it-yourself type utilizing plastic tubs and MDF (fine particle board) to the zinc plated light gauge steel or aluminum and sealed roller bearings. The upper market use the factory tie down points so that the seats can be replaced and no holes or damage is done to the 80 and when fitted look part of the factory design." - Mick Barson

3.5 Aftermarket Stereo's

3.12 Speakers for the front doors

4. Drive train

4.1 Factory lockers

4.2 Aftermarket lockers

4.3 Brake pad wear

4.5 Differential Gears - 4.1 vs 4.88

5. Suspension

5.1 Better ride without the lift.
5.2 Larger Tires - Pro's and Con's
5.3 Can I fit 35" tires
5.4 Why replace a relatively new suspension
5.5 Changing shocks
5.6 Changing coil springs
5.7 Changing the torsion bars

6. Accessories

5.1 Grill Guards
5.2 Winch Bars
5.3 Winches
5.4 Auxiliary Lighting
5.5 Light Bars
5.6 Rear Bumpers
5.7 Tire Carriers
5.8 Nerf Bars
5.9 Recovery gear
5.10 Camping Showers

7. Driving skills and off-roading

7.1 Using Front and Rear Lockers
Courtesy of George Coyant.

In random order...

Don't use them on paved roads.
Disengage the front at least if you need to turn. Even momentarily.
Engage them just before you think you'll need them.
Don't go down steep hills with the front locker engaged.
If you go down hills with the rear engaged, be prepared to catch the rear end if it slides out.
Exercise them every now and then. Whilst parked, hit each button until you hear the compressor engage.
Have a locker/compressor cut out switch wired up (I think this is standard now).
Experiment over an obstacle. Get the feel of what each locker does andexperiment with speed over the obstacle. You'll be amazed at what you can now just idle over.
They engage immediately but if there's a bunch of energy stored in the driveline, you may have to back off for a second after disengaging to have them physically disengage.
Change the diff oil after a 1,000 or so km.
Change the diff oils at say 20,000km intervals to help clear any muck in the diff housings.
Keep an eye on the air release at the solenoids. If you see diff oil spray out upon disengaging, the piston oil seal has gone. This used to be quite common, however the current seal is good if fitted correctly. It's fiddly.
If you're in a tight area and need to swing the rear out, you can engage the rear locker only and dump the clutch. It'll turn on its own axis...
Don't engage the front locker when reversing.
You can use air lockers in high range. In fact, can engage them at up to 100kph as long as one wheel on an axle isn't spinning.
If one wheel is spinning wildly, don't engage that locker.
By engaging them early, you'll save digging great holes in the track.

That's enough for now...

Cheers
gc

Last edited by Max707; 12-21-06 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 09:35 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would guess around $20-$23k is a good price for a 2000 LX 470. Anything for less would be hard to find imo. Btw the Mark Levinson\Nav option came out in 2001 and the Nakamachi was offered in the 1999 and 2000 model year. Good luck in your search for the best SUV out there imo.
Old 12-21-06, 12:36 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Just wanted to add if you get an LX w/ the Naki cd changer, test it out (load and unload CDs). They're notorious for crapping out.
Old 12-21-06, 12:39 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aedgington is very right. My changer crapped out, then i got it replaced under warranty and it eventually started having the same symptoms again. At that point i just replaced it with an aftermarket navi system.
Old 12-22-06, 06:43 AM
jpinkert
Driver School Candidate

Default The Nak is acting up on my '99 as well

It'll work with one or two CDs just fine - but when the third is loaded it'll jam up.

Have 95K miles now and no major issues (knock on wood) other than an oxygen sensor and an ABS sensor. Must do timing belt soon - way overdue!

I'll be moving into an '04 next summer that's coming off lease.
Old 12-22-06, 01:43 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

95k miles isnt way overdue for a timing belt. However it is out of toyotas "safety range". Some people have stretched it 2x the recommended amount without a failure. Many people stretch it past 100k miles.

Just get the belt changed soon, when you have a chance, but dont freak out about it.
Old 12-24-06, 02:42 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a 1998 black LX470, but my family just sold it to the dealership. we got 15500, and had 77k on the odo.
Old 12-25-06, 07:41 AM
batmbl
Rookie

My '98 has 104 on the odo with no issues. Most comfortable vehicle we've ever owned. Find one that's been well cared for (check the vehicle history) and you should be OK.
Old 12-25-06, 02:44 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

My 02 LX has 62k on its ODO and its still good as new.No problems with it. You should be okay with a 00+ LX470.
Old 12-25-06, 07:45 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

the 2000+ has a stronger front differential along with other minor modifications. 01+ has Mark L. audio not the nakamichi.
Old 12-25-06, 07:54 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

hmm while hes at it he should get a 03+
Then he can swap his rear lights and add a new spoiler..
Old 12-25-06, 07:59 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

98-00 up to a 03+ is a verrrry large jump in pricing. A 03+ could burn a huge hole in some peoples pockets, while a 98-00 would be very easy.

Quick Reply: What are good prices for a 98-00 LX? ***LX is King of SUV's***