LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New HID Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 05:17 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wait bluestar...you will be amazed come the new year. Im not releasing any more information.
Old 11-01-06, 06:01 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
just wait bluestar...you will be amazed come the new year. Im not releasing any more information.
I cannot wait, Iloudlx, I am sure the mods you are working on would look great.... Don't hold out on us too long, ok ?
Old 11-02-06, 06:48 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
glad to see i could help. I havent been out much lately but i turned my truck on today when i was in my garage jsut before i went out and my headlights had been on from the last time i drove. I had started it and was going inside and i saw the bright HID color reflecting off my wall and i just said to myself wow...that was the best investment ive made on my truck. I have 4 dots(2 out of each lens) that show up above the beam pattern. I actually noticed them back with the halogen so i believe its just the design of the lexus lens, not the HID kit making those dots.
I react the same way everytime I turn mine on and see that bright, bluish white light on the garage wall gradually turn white as it brightens to full intensity! Had to drive back and forth on I-17 between Flagstaff and Munds Park (about 20 miles in the N. AZ mountains) a number of times 2 wks ago. My LX clearly had the brightest lighting of any vehicle on the road; you can easily see stuff in the shoulder due to the superior peripheral illumination over the stock halogens.

I don't get the 4 dots above the beam pattern; beam just cuts off w/o any stray light. The headlamps on the '03 are slightly different than the '98-02 (besides the plexyglass lens and maybe one of the mounts).
Old 11-02-06, 09:33 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I don't get the 4 dots above the beam pattern; beam just cuts off w/o any stray light. The headlamps on the '03 are slightly different than the '98-02 (besides the plexyglass lens and maybe one of the mounts).

Me neither..... And those HIDs are by far the best investments on my LX. Its worth it many times over... If you don't have HID, pls go ahead and think of getting it done to your LX. You will never regret it...

BTW, my LS came with HIDs so once you have a car with HID, halogen lighting just plain sucks, so once I got my LX, it was the very first mod I had to do... No brainer at all
Old 11-02-06, 09:42 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

i had to tint my front window the headlights are so bright! Not really but my front window does have 70% tint on it...and i can see absolutely fine. When i stick my head out my side window im like oh damn they are even brighter out here!
Old 11-02-06, 12:29 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I think I read on MUD somewhere where someone else who installed HIDs had the 2 or 4 spots of light bleed. I want to say they were able to locate the source and either fill them in or tape them over. At least, I *think* I read that.

Also, how long does this take? I read somewhere someone said 5+ hours?! Are you kidding me?

Last edited by aedgington; 11-02-06 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask my question
Old 11-02-06, 12:52 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

how long does what take? doing the HID PnP kit? Took me about an hour i think. took the longest trying to figure where i wanted to mount my ballast.

Theres light bleed on each side, 2 dots. the old halogens did it too to light up the highway signs on the sides of the road. now with HID you notice it alot more. Its nothing to worry about. There was one member on here, CL, who made these little tabs and filled teh two things to prevent the light. It caused him to take the headlights out and a whole bunch of crap. Not worth it i dont think. These are the dots.

Aedgington, if you have any questions or need help installing the kit if you buy it, just PM me.
Old 11-05-06, 03:07 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure I'll get an XD kit, but there sure are a lot of OEM Lexus hid "kits" on ebay; ballasts, harnesses, and bulbs. Significantly cheaper.

What do you guys think? Should I take a chance?

Also, can anyone remember or have paperwork on how long the bulb was in the XD kit?
Old 11-05-06, 03:17 PM
RedrumGTS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aedgington
I'm pretty sure I'll get an XD kit, but there sure are a lot of OEM Lexus hid "kits" on ebay; ballasts, harnesses, and bulbs. Significantly cheaper.

What do you guys think? Should I take a chance?

Also, can anyone remember or have paperwork on how long the bulb was in the XD kit?
I've purchased several OEM lexus HID kits off ebay and Im extremely happy with them. 2 reasons why
1st. nothing is as good as OEM quality especially if LEXUS uses I know its good.
2nd. it's an extremely easy plug and play install if you get the 9006 adapter plugs from HIDexpert.com
http://hidexpert.com/gallery/9006plug1.jpg

another thing even if the OEM kits lasts lets say only 2yrs, you could still get another OEM kit off ebay later and you still wouldnt have paid what you would have paid for an aftermaket kit in the first place.

I recommend the 2006 Lexus GS350-450 HID kits cause they use the worlds smallest ballast and ignitor. They are black and about 4''x4''x1/2''.
I got my first whole kit on ebay shipped to canada for $163.00US and cause it was 2006 GS450 kit I know the useage was definetly less than 10,000miles.
Old 11-05-06, 04:12 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

the XD kits take up a bunch of less space. I myself would rather deal with a CL vendor then someone off of ebay.

Do what you feel best, but ied recommend the XD kit.

Philips makes OEM parts for manufactures, so the whole OEM is better thing is thrown out the window on this discussion.

Also, these OEM lexus kits on ebay might be stolen out of peoples cars...i know the RX's are real easy to steal. So you might be supporting crime and damage to other lexi vehicles.

oh and LX470s dont have 9006 headlights, they have H1 bulbs.

Last edited by 1loudLX; 11-05-06 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 05:17 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

You stole that GS kit! I've seen the GS ballasts, very small, very nice. I might give this a try, especially since I want to do all my lights and will quickly run out of ballast mounting spots
Old 11-05-06, 05:19 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

i donno, my ballast seems pretty compact to me.
Old 11-07-06, 08:40 AM
RedrumGTS
Driver School Candidate

Jus got another OEM toyota/Lexus kit on ebay. $132.50.... Never thought about them being stolen, Thanks 1loudLX.. I guess now I have something to think about when purchasing another set.
Old 11-07-06, 12:56 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

yeah i was watching that one also. the different sized bulbs made me a bit hesitant, tho...
Old 11-07-06, 01:06 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

The guys at the local lexus dealership said people were coming in and stealing the headlights out of the RX's on the new car lot! And i had seen about 3 or 4 myself, drive in without headlights and the fenders all messed up. All you need to do is shove a screw driver in between teh fender and the headlight and pry it off. Thats what the guys at the dealership told me.

Quick Reply: New HID Kit Installed