LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Brush Guard LX470

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 02:50 PM
2garfields
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brush Guard LX470

Hi, anyone has installed a brush guard for their LX470, it seem to me that, most of them will block the mid light. Any thought?
Old 11-13-05, 02:48 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than a brush guard, why not get a real, solid aftermarket front bumper. It'll protect the vehicle, plus give you the look you're most likely after.

There are many vendors who sell front bumpers for the LX 470 -- but one that comes to mind is www.sleeoffroad.com -- look at their selection of front bumpers for the LX 70 (aka 100 series Land Cruiser).
Old 11-14-05, 01:49 PM
Deven
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed the 'WAG' brush guard, tail-light guard,and rear bumper guard. It does not affect the lights, it is easy to install through existing bolt holes, and makes the truck look very aggressive. With reguards to prtection, it is questionable if the guard protects or causes more damage. If hit directly from the from, it will proect, but if hit on the side of the front (where the lights are), it is likely going to cause more damage, as the guard will compress and then dent the fender.
Old 11-14-05, 09:25 PM
wETcOASTER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damage mutlipliers..

Thats true, I had one on my 1998 LC 5 years ago. Some truck backed into me and bent the guard into my radiator, grill and lights, Caused way more damage than I expected. The bodyshop referred to the brush guard as a Damage Multiplier. I dont think I would get one again. I like the look but its not worth it as they are not that strong and it doesnt take much to have it pushed into your grill, lights and bodywork.
Old 11-24-05, 10:10 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2garfields
Hi, anyone has installed a brush guard for their LX470, it seem to me that, most of them will block the mid light. Any thought?
So far so good. It really makes the vehicle stand out. I get a lot of complements.
Old 06-24-17, 08:59 PM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I want this guard which one is it? How much?
Old 06-25-17, 06:37 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by dougjohn
Rather than a brush guard, why not get a real, solid aftermarket front bumper. It'll protect the vehicle, plus give you the look you're most likely after.

There are many vendors who sell front bumpers for the LX 470 -- but one that comes to mind is www.sleeoffroad.com -- look at their selection of front bumpers for the LX 470 (aka 100 series Land Cruiser).
I'm somewhat "meh" on the front brush guard...not sure if it qualifies as a real bumper...like Slee or ARB or TJM etc.

If Slee notes the bumper is for a Land Cruiser, you'll need to either remove the auxiliary light mounting tabs and have them turned around, or see if you can get one modified for the LX with the mounting tabs facing front...facing rear won't clear the hood as the LX hood lifts with the grill, the Cruiser lifts only the hood.

I wonder of OP's selection has been tested and rated compatible with factory airbags?? If not, safety is definitely compromised from oem, and oem construction is almost bullet proof in a collision.

Originally Posted by Deven
I have installed the 'WAG' brush guard, tail-light guard,and rear bumper guard. It does not affect the lights, it is easy to install through existing bolt holes, and makes the truck look very aggressive. With reguards to prtection, it is questionable if the guard protects or causes more damage. If hit directly from the from, it will proect, but if hit on the side of the front (where the lights are), it is likely going to cause more damage, as the guard will compress and then dent the fender.
I'm not sure why the truck looks more "aggressive" to some...were I looking for "aggressive", I'd probably choose a HumVee. "Aggressive" here might point to tires with real off-road capabilities.

Do you think the guard will "protect or cause more damage" to the occupants?