LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

That squeaky steering column

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 09:18 PM
JAGastrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That squeaky steering column

So coming from a vintage Mercedes background, I’m extremely proactive in maintenance. Far more so then most Lexus and Toyota products require.

ive heard many stories about the telescoping motor crapping out because of moving the steering wheel in and out upon every entry and exit. Given my size, I really need that.

im thinking part of the issue is lack of lubrication. I heard a squeak coming from the column and was concerned.

i got out a tub of synthetic grease, greased the worm gear on the motor, greased the steering column, and it works like new! Completely quiet like a Lexus should be.

Moral of story? Lubricate your seats, and your steering column, and I’m guessing it will greatly extend the life :-) Curved tip syringes and small paint brushes are my favorite things to use to get grease in small places.
Old 09-20-18, 05:27 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGastrock
So coming from a vintage Mercedes background, I’m extremely proactive in maintenance. Far more so then most Lexus and Toyota products require.

ive heard many stories about the telescoping motor crapping out because of moving the steering wheel in and out upon every entry and exit. Given my size, I really need that.

im thinking part of the issue is lack of lubrication. I heard a squeak coming from the column and was concerned.

i got out a tub of synthetic grease, greased the worm gear on the motor, greased the steering column, and it works like new! Completely quiet like a Lexus should be.

Moral of story? Lubricate your seats, and your steering column, and I’m guessing it will greatly extend the life :-) Curved tip syringes and small paint brushes are my favorite things to use to get grease in small places.
Thank you for posting! Could you describe in a bit more detail on how to access the area(s) that need greasing?

I have an RX330 that squeals or squeaks when the steering column extends when you put in the key in the morning.

Old 09-21-18, 08:53 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexterious
Thank you for posting! Could you describe in a bit more detail on how to access the area(s) that need greasing?

I have an RX330 that squeals or squeaks when the steering column extends when you put in the key in the morning.
I'd ask the question on the RX forum here...you're talking 2 very different vehicles between an LX and RX.