LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Replacing Passenger Side Headlight Assembly and front clearance lamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 06:27 PM
jangell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Passenger Side Headlight Assembly and front clearance lamp

I managed to somehow break both the headlight assembly and the clearance lamp (side marker lamp) on my 2000 LX 470.

I cant seem to find a how to on replacing these two parts/pieces. Can anyone offer any direction on replacing these? Also, any good sources for the parts...they are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive from lexus/Toyota.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Passenger Side Headlight Assembly and front clearance lamp-snip20180124_21.png  
Old 01-25-18, 10:42 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jangell
I managed to somehow break both the headlight assembly and the clearance lamp (side marker lamp) on my 2000 LX 470.

I cant seem to find a how to on replacing these two parts/pieces. Can anyone offer any direction on replacing these? Also, any good sources for the parts...they are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive from lexus/Toyota.
Sorry to see that...major bummer. Glass headlights were replaced with plastic for the 2002 MY, iirc.

For instructions, check the 100 series tech forum on mud... https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/100-series-cruisers.26/ . Search for headlight replacement and you should find plenty of info. If you are not a member, joining up will reward you with tons of info on your truck.

For sellers, I'd just google "lx470" headlight and go from there. Later model plastic headlamps will fit, but you really need glass to match the driver's side. Afaik, the only source is gonna' be Lexus, or a salvage yard.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-18, 05:36 PM
jangell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched that forum as well and was not able to find anything...Lots of talk about doing it but no real instructions.
Old 01-25-18, 07:41 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jangell
I searched that forum as well and was not able to find anything...Lots of talk about doing it but no real instructions.
Glass coverage on your auto insurance policy?

Stone chip in the glass headlight is the same as a stone chip in your windshield.

I searched for about 10 minutes...did not find any pictures. This may help... LX Headlight Removal
Old 01-26-18, 03:57 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a small screw at the top of the side marker light.
You will see it once you open the hood.
To pop the side marker out you need to slide it straight forward.
You can pull from the side but that puts stress on the inner tab that slides and snaps into the headlight itself.
I have better luck sliding a clip removal tool, trim panel removal tool, or even a flat blade screw driver, sliding under the inner lip of the side marker lamp and prying against the headlight itself.
This puts the pressure closer to the tab and it should pop straight forward.
Sometimes you need to tilt the lamp a little to wiggle the upper tab out between the headlight and the fender.
Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Passenger Side Headlight Assembly and front clearance lamp-lx.png  
Old 01-26-18, 04:40 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a picture of the entire front headlamp with the hood open and I'll do the same to show where all the screws and retainers are.