LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2005 Lexus LX470 Lean - tilts on one side

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 01:11 PM
sixpax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Lexus LX470 Lean - tilts on one side

Hello Everyone,
My 2005 LX470 was sagging on both size in the back. After replacing. Accumulators, rear sensor and the onboard height control Computer, the sag is gone and the truck raises to a nornal position. I have noticed since I got teh sagging problem fixed, the rear of my truck is lower than my front suspension. The mechanic tried to raise the rear sensor (so the truck is an inch higher in the back than the front), however the truck tilts on one side when he tries to raise the height of the truck. hence the truck is an inch higher in the front then the back.
Does anyone know what I can do to raise the height of my LX470 an inch or 2 in the back without the lean or tilt on one side when the height sensor is moved into a higher position?
any help would be appreciated, I am all out of ideas.
Old 02-16-17, 10:14 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpax
Hello Everyone,
My 2005 LX470 was sagging on both size in the back. After replacing. Accumulators, rear sensor and the onboard height control Computer, the sag is gone and the truck raises to a nornal position. I have noticed since I got teh sagging problem fixed, the rear of my truck is lower than my front suspension. The mechanic tried to raise the rear sensor (so the truck is an inch higher in the back than the front), however the truck tilts on one side when he tries to raise the height of the truck. hence the truck is an inch higher in the front then the back.
Does anyone know what I can do to raise the height of my LX470 an inch or 2 in the back without the lean or tilt on one side when the height sensor is moved into a higher position?
Firestone airbags may be a possibility. User Paddo here is more than an authority on all things AHC. Maybe shoot him a PM. Only thing I can think of might be that someone may have screwed with the front torsion bars to "fix" a lack of AHC pressure in the front. Your mechanic's shop manual will tell him how to check to make sure all 4 corners meet Toyota's height specs. Pro-tip: Ride height has zero to do with measuring from top of fender to the ground.
Old 02-19-17, 06:05 AM
PADDO
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpax
Hello Everyone,
Lets start with the basics such as what are your actual hub center to fender bottom measurements at all for corners taken at N and H whilst on level ground? Stock height should be close to 19.5 in F and 20.5 in R at N. Do you have the normal L, N and H range of movement, does your damping switch work through its ranges, fluid level good and have you checked for DTCs with Techstream or manually via DLC1? I suspect your initial rear "sag" as you put it was just a failed rear height sensor or its mechanism - damper accumulators have nothing to do with leveling - and I'd be surprised if your AHC ECU was defective too. I can see many scenarios where your system is way out of correct setup; front set too high, Torsion bars over cranked, new rear height sensor incorrectly installed etc. Now if indeed the vehicle's rear leans to one side as as a function of raising then you'd have to consider a damaged shock actuator, obstructed hydraulic line, mechanical binding etc. Simply, when a raise or lower leveling command is sent to the front or rear, or both simultaneously, then equal pressure is applied to the front or rear hydraulic circuits which is evenly proportioned to the left and right sides so the shock actuators, functioning as hydraulic rams, should extend (raise) or retract (lower) equally. If the lean is static and constant then often a side to side lean at the front (due to unbalanced torsion bar adjustment) is observed to be more pronounced from the rear, also rear coils do take a set often causing the the drivers side to sit a fraction lower, even though the drivers side coil is slightly longer than the passenger side coil. It would be good to quantify your lean with some height measurements at each wheel and go from there.

Last edited by PADDO; 02-19-17 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by PADDO:
Dilliardj (01-02-18), hankinid (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 06:47 AM
sixpax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Paddo for the detailed explanation. I measured the front height of the vehicle and when its in "N" the height from the lip of the fender to the center of the wheel is about 20.5 inches on both sides. However the height on the back is about 20 inches on both sides. I like the heigh of the vehile in the front. I belive if I can lift the rear end about inch and a half, i will be happy. However as stated earlier when the mechanic tried to move the sensor all the way up, the vehicle tilted to one side, so he brought it all the way down to the lowest setting.
Either my mechanic does not know what he is doing, or my truck is possesed :-)
Old 03-03-18, 07:48 AM
lexxxman
Driver School Candidate

We're you able to solve this issue? I have ran into the exact same issue
I tried to adjust the rear sensor arm in order to try to raise the rear of the vehicle but it now sits almost 1" lower on the left (drivers) side