LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

AHC Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 03:51 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHC Suspension Issues

Guys,
I have a 2006 LX470. My current mileage is about 37k miles. Apparently, I am having issues with the AHC suspension system. The rear end of my car is sitting way too high at the 'N' mode setting. When I place it on 'L' mode, only the front lowers as it is supposed and the rear looks as if it is on the normal height. Once I select it to 'HI', I can see the select lever on the dashboard blinking but will not stay at 'H' mode. It goes back to 'N' with the rear end sitting way high.

Also, the ride is extremely stiff on the rear and feels as if I dont have any shock dampening at all while going over speed bumps.

Can anyone please help me out with this. Thanks.

Last edited by Pkathee; 03-04-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-04-12, 04:02 PM
A2BTLC
Driver School Candidate

Check fluid level? Have you had the fluid changed yet? I have heard that fluid change can make a difference. Could be sensors. Too early for accumulators to pack it in imho.

Bruce
A2B in a TLC
Old 03-05-12, 09:50 AM
zaccor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually am having the same problem with my '04 GX. Got it in it yesterday and the ride was really bumpy. Tried lowering the suspension but it seems that it's stuck in High mode and won't go lower. Please let me know if you find out what the problem is, because ours sound very similar.
Old 03-08-12, 01:31 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Guys, after doing a thorough research, I was able to narrow down as to the most likely culprit of my AHC suspension malfunction. Since the rear end of my LX was sitting way high, I thought that the rear height sensor had gone south.

Anyway, took if off the car (5 min job). Opened up the sensor and I was amazed what I saw inside. Apparently this thing that they call a sensor ain't really a sensor. My definition of an sensor is an electrical gadget that has one or all of the following components.; Transistor, Capacitor, Conductor and/or Coil system.

Anyway, that damn 'sensor' only had three springs and contact ends on the cap. One of my springs had evidence of corrosion/ rust on it. I pulled it off and cleaned it out with a break cleaner. Put it back together and VOILA.....my LX went back to normal.

Since my LX is 6 years old with only 36K miles, I figured that I really would not want to rely on that ghetto sensor just in case it fails on me again especially when I'm on my summer excursions in the wild.

Therefore, I contacted the Dealer and they want $550 for it. Did a search on eBay and was able to find one for $280 (Original OEM Toyota Part). I barely received the unit and replaced the old one.

That said, inspect your height sensors. Our LX's have two in front and one in the rear. Also, will be doing the AHC fluid flush soon.
Old 10-17-12, 01:59 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the past couple of weeks I've noticed that our LX's height control motor acts as though it's trying to adjust the truck's level, but nothing moves. The other day my wife had put the truck in LOW to pull our twins' car seats out and the darn thing stayed in LOW the whole ride home, she said the dashboard green light flashed the whole drive home, but it never went solid into NORMAL. Any thoughts as to what could be going here?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-12, 11:41 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Likely needs a new pump.
Old 11-29-12, 12:18 PM
joe42276
Rookie

Whatever you do.. DO NOT USE B&B suspensions... aka: Activesuspensionsystem.com

This is from experience. Please stay with 100% genuine OEM parts.

btw, the pump isnt too dificult to replace... but you wil need to bleed the system.
I replaced the actuator globes, first B&B... and after a year of never getting anything close to satisfactory results, I even got new oem AHC shocks, and eventually oem actuator globes...
it was ok.. and then finally my pump went bad too. Changed that..

Was all good for another couple yrs, and the system started to get weak again... sometimes not able to lift the car up. from low position.

A couple months ago, I finally installed oem Landcruiser shocks, springs and torsion bars. I also added Whiteline HD sway bars and a simple airlift rear leveling kit. The ride is Finally back to how it should have been.. and hopefully I'll have no issues anymore~

Good luck!`
Old 01-10-13, 12:20 PM
jbosch5
Driver School Candidate

Hi- I'm brand new to this forum stuff so I apoligize for non-compliance with protocol in advance. I have a 2002 LX 470 and it's ridng very rough same as PKathee described above.....it does not move from N after lights blink on Hi as well as lo...it always just stays at N....and it does not appear to move from comfort to sport modes when directed. I've had the pump replaced a few years ago after all suspension seemed to go out. I'd like to check the sensors now. Can anyone explain how this easy check is done? Where are the 3 sensors located specifically?

Thanks for your help,

Jerry
Old 01-14-13, 08:52 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Hi Jerry,
Our LX470's have one rear Height control sensor and two front Height control sensors. As for the front, it is really easy to take it out and replace it. Takes a maximum of about 10 minutes. You dont even need to jack the car up. There is enough clearance to crouch underneath to get the job done.

As for the two front sensors, they would be more accessible if you could remove the wheels. Once the wheel is off, you will see them right infront of you.

Typically, unless your truck is slanting sideways, it is more than likely that only your rear sensor is bad. Pretty costly part though. Contact a Lexus Dealer to get the part number then buy it from your local Toyota Dealership. Exact same part but a huge cost difference depending on where you buy it from.

Anyway, Inbox me your email address and I will send you documents detailing how to remove and install the sensors.

Originally Posted by jbosch5
Hi- I'm brand new to this forum stuff so I apoligize for non-compliance with protocol in advance. I have a 2002 LX 470 and it's ridng very rough same as PKathee described above.....it does not move from N after lights blink on Hi as well as lo...it always just stays at N....and it does not appear to move from comfort to sport modes when directed. I've had the pump replaced a few years ago after all suspension seemed to go out. I'd like to check the sensors now. Can anyone explain how this easy check is done? Where are the 3 sensors located specifically?

Thanks for your help,

Jerry
Old 01-27-13, 11:11 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Likely needs a new pump.
Yep, it's the motor going out. I had the dealership take a look at it last month when the LX went in for regular servicing. They wanted $2800, I declined and asked if the truck was still safe to drive - they said yes. It will stay broken for the time being.
Old 01-28-13, 07:39 AM
sototech1
Driver School Candidate

Default ahc

hello i am new at this but i have a lx470 i replace ahc pump it worked for 3 weeks and i got the same problem i replace pump again and i have no oil presure coming from the pump any advise
Old 01-29-13, 12:58 PM
jbosch5
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to respond to Pkathee's very helpful response. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use this Forum so I apologize to you in advance Pkathee. If you still want to e-mail those directions to me please do...my email is:
jerome.bosch@rbc.com Thanks so much for your help, Jerry

Originally Posted by Pkathee
Hi Jerry,
Our LX470's have one rear Height control sensor and two front Height control sensors. As for the front, it is really easy to take it out and replace it. Takes a maximum of about 10 minutes. You dont even need to jack the car up. There is enough clearance to crouch underneath to get the job done.

As for the two front sensors, they would be more accessible if you could remove the wheels. Once the wheel is off, you will see them right infront of you.

Typically, unless your truck is slanting sideways, it is more than likely that only your rear sensor is bad. Pretty costly part though. Contact a Lexus Dealer to get the part number then buy it from your local Toyota Dealership. Exact same part but a huge cost difference depending on where you buy it from.

Anyway, Inbox me your email address and I will send you documents detailing how to remove and install the sensors.
Old 01-20-16, 10:58 AM
sixpax
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 Lexus LX470 AHC issue

Hello guys,
Once in while my rear suspension tanks and goes down and the ride becomes bouncy. The fluid levels are fine and when I press AHC botton to bring the vehicle all the way up to H, the fluid level decreases, and when it press the button to bring it to low L, the fluid level in the reservoir increases, which tells me that my AHC pump is fine. However for the life of me I cant figure out why the truck behaves this way. The irony is that AHC self corrects itself and the vehicle comes to its normal State after a while, either while i am driving or when I park the truck. If this is the indication of the rear sensor going bad wont I see some kind of light blinking? I think this is a unique issue and i have not been able to find any answer on any forum. ? Also if you can let me now of any OBDIi scanner that can help read the code that would be helpful. I tried a 50 dollar scanner but it didnt read any codes. Chances are I need a specialized scanner. thank you,
Old 02-13-16, 10:32 PM
CaptAHB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pkathee
Anyway, that damn 'sensor' only had three springs and contact ends on the cap. One of my springs had evidence of corrosion/ rust on it. I pulled it off and cleaned it out with a break cleaner. Put it back together and VOILA.....my LX went back to normal.
What have you been dragging the tail of the LX through to get the sensor under water and did you leave it there for awhile? If not you then the previous owner? Wonder what else might be corroding away.
Old 02-14-16, 10:25 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by sototech1
hello i am new at this but i have a lx470 i replace ahc pump it worked for 3 weeks and i got the same problem i replace pump again and i have no oil presure coming from the pump any advise
My adviCe would be to take it to a dealer, connect it to TIS, and go from there. It does sound like the pump motor may have died.

Originally Posted by sixpax
Hello guys,
Once in while my rear suspension tanks and goes down and the ride becomes bouncy. The fluid levels are fine and when I press AHC botton to bring the vehicle all the way up to H, the fluid level decreases, and when it press the button to bring it to low L, the fluid level in the reservoir increases, which tells me that my AHC pump is fine. However for the life of me I cant figure out why the truck behaves this way. The irony is that AHC self corrects itself and the vehicle comes to its normal State after a while, either while i am driving or when I park the truck. If this is the indication of the rear sensor going bad wont I see some kind of light blinking? I think this is a unique issue and i have not been able to find any answer on any forum. ? Also if you can let me now of any OBDIi scanner that can help read the code that would be helpful. I tried a 50 dollar scanner but it didnt read any codes. Chances are I need a specialized scanner. thank you,
I'd ask the question on ih8mud.com. You need a specialized scanner for ACH stuff...TIS + laptop + cable from OBDII connector to laptop.

Steve

Quick Reply: AHC Suspension Issues