LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2002 lx 470, running board courtesy light

Old 01-28-12, 01:12 PM
noutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the right bulb

Hello

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/676...12V0902CL.html

i tried this bulb as i found the post linked to it, ordered 4, but it's not the right fit - it is too long and wide to go over the lens cover.

got the bulb out, now for the replacement.
Old 04-11-16, 12:43 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for reviving a dead post but I've been trying to change this bulb out for an LED but can't seem to find the right match. I ordered the bulbs twinturbo said he got but when I pulled out the housings, there were different bulbs in there and the LED's didn't fit. His truck body looks the same but with different wheels. Maybe 02+? Mine's an 01 and the bulb that was in there appears to be a bi-pin G4 T3 halogen bulb.

Has anyone with an older truck been able to find an LED suitable? Tried to bend the leads out of the wedge based LED bulb but they were not long enough to sit properly in the socket.
Old 04-11-16, 08:49 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
Sorry for reviving a dead post but I've been trying to change this bulb out for an LED but can't seem to find the right match. I ordered the bulbs twinturbo said he got but when I pulled out the housings, there were different bulbs in there and the LED's didn't fit. His truck body looks the same but with different wheels. Maybe 02+? Mine's an 01 and the bulb that was in there appears to be a bi-pin G4 T3 halogen bulb.

Has anyone with an older truck been able to find an LED suitable? Tried to bend the leads out of the wedge based LED bulb but they were not long enough to sit properly in the socket.
These fit...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BY65XG?tag=viglink20326-20 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BY65XG?tag=viglink20326-20

Same part number referenced in earlier post on this thread, but those bulbs have a point on the en d where the bulb was sealed...these have a rounded end and definitely fit...replaced all 4 and they all work.

Nope, it is not an LED. No, it may not be the same bulb originally used by Lexus. Again, it installs and works perfectly. The plastic caps that go over the bulbs are installed before the bracket holding them is replaced. I'd expect you'd find tons of junk and dirt inside the boards...I took mine down to the local car wash and cleaned everything up prior to changing the bulbs.

IMO, it's FAR easier to drop the boards, turn them upside down, and replace the bulbs.

Post back if you need more info, and hth.
Old 04-14-16, 07:19 AM
gunterblue
Driver School Candidate

Default running boaed lights very dim

hey guys, i have recently been replacing all lights on my 2001 lx470 to led, i followed the directions for running board light replacement very easily done, i replaced with G4, but the lights are very dim, any remedies, i cleaned outside
Old 04-14-16, 07:39 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gunterblue
hey guys, i have recently been replacing all lights on my 2001 lx470 to led, i followed the directions for running board light replacement very easily done, i replaced with G4, but the lights are very dim, any remedies, i cleaned outside
Even the brighter lights I referred to above are dim...you're looking at light pipe technology from almost 15 years ago.
Old 04-14-16, 10:25 AM
gunterblue
Driver School Candidate

Default Dim lighting

Originally Posted by hankinid
Even the brighter lights I referred to above are dim...you're looking at light pipe technology from almost 15 years ago.
absolutely correct, just curious if moisture build up could cause them to be dim
Old 04-14-16, 01:50 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gunterblue
absolutely correct, just curious if moisture build up could cause them to be dim
They're pretty well sealed...the vinyl cap at the far end is a definite push fit over the bulb. Lexus is unable to find a pn for the caps...they force you to get the running board as an assembly. I soaked the caps overnight in straight Simple Green. That helped a bit but they're still yellow.

The bulb holder / connector to the light pipe is well sealed. I used silicone grease on everything before I installed the boards. It helps keep the water out and makes assembly much easier. I took pictures of the wire routing prior to taking the boards apart completely. The plastic cable conduit has to lay exactly the right way or you won't be able to get the board back together.
Old 04-14-16, 04:30 PM
gunterblue
Driver School Candidate

They're pretty well sealed...the vinyl cap at the far end is a definite push fit over the bulb. Lexus is unable to find a pn for the caps...they force you to get the running board as an assembly. I soaked the caps overnight in straight Simple Green. That helped a bit but they're still yellow.

The bulb holder / connector to the light pipe is well sealed. I used silicone grease on everything before I installed the boards. It helps keep the water out and makes assembly much easier. I took pictures of the wire routing prior to taking the boards apart completely. The plastic cable conduit has to lay exactly the right way or you won't be able to get the board back together.
Thank you for your help, much appreciated
Old 04-16-16, 09:17 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks hankinid, I'll check those out if I can't find LEDs. Was also hoping for something brighter and thought that they would achieve the brightness. They were really easy to access once I dropped the boards. However, I would prefer not to. The 1/4" squiggly was a little annoying to use.
Old 12-30-18, 01:42 PM
Skyyan
Driver School Candidate

Default Replace the bulbs

These fit...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BY65XG?tag=viglink20326-20

Same part number referenced in earlier post on this thread, but those bulbs have a point on the en d where the bulb was sealed...these have a rounded end and definitely fit...replaced all 4 and they all work.

Nope, it is not an LED. No, it may not be the same bulb originally used by Lexus. Again, it installs and works perfectly. The plastic caps that go over the bulbs are installed before the bracket holding them is replaced. I'd expect you'd find tons of junk and dirt inside the boards...I took mine down to the local car wash and cleaned everything up prior to changing the bulbs.

IMO, it's FAR easier to drop the boards, turn them upside down, and replace the bulbs.

Post back if you need more info, and hth.
I believe the courtesy light is not built I with the running board. My question is how to take out the 2 foot section light from the panel? The lighted sections

are on top of the running board.
Old 12-30-18, 02:54 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Skyyan
I believe the courtesy light is not built I with the running board. My question is how to take out the 2 foot section light from the panel? The lighted sectionsare on top of the running board.
Nothing is as refreshing as an almost 2-year old necro thread.

The "2-foot section light" is removed ONCE you remove the running boards. Unplug the connector(s) to start, and then the running board bracket bolts to the body.

hth and a Happy New Year.