LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

aftermarket stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 11:48 AM
showlandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket stereo install

To all,

This is has been something that I have wanted to do since the death of the CD player and the birth of all other forms of Mp3!! Thank you to everyone that posted info that helped me get this done... here are some pics.

For now I have wired it with the existing speakers but plan to slowly keep changing it over to other amps and subs.

I ditched the EQ only because after getting it all installed I realized that there were no pre amp outs on the head unit and the head unit does everything the EQ does... time has passed it by... too bad, I loved that EQ..

Thanks again for all the help!!

Showlandy
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket stereo install-step-two.jpg   aftermarket stereo install-step-three.jpg   aftermarket stereo install-trying-the-eq-mount.jpg   aftermarket stereo install-custom-trim-ring.jpg   aftermarket stereo install-final-install-trim-ring.jpg  

Old 04-26-10, 04:28 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about adding a pocket in the double din space for extra storage.
Old 04-26-10, 06:47 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by Hoser
How about adding a pocket in the double din space for extra storage.
Hoser has a good idea. Nice clean looking job. Just Curious, "Why not go with a double din with touch screen or soemthing?". I am kinda looking into doing my system soon in our lx. But like I said , nice clean look.
Old 04-27-10, 12:24 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thinking here, why not a double-din integrated unit with NAV, music, sat etc?
Old 04-27-10, 12:05 PM
showlandy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

To answer the questions:
I had the EQ from a previous system and already have a portable GPS before I got the car.. so I wanted to put money into amps, speakers and a sub down the road.

I may put the EQ back in at some point and then I would probably go with the double DIN opening with the stash pocket in between.. Using the plexi let me bust out the dremel and all the little cutters that go with it... TONS of fun!!
Old 05-01-10, 08:35 PM
Sydney470
Driver School Candidate

Is that perspex you have cut?
and does the LX470 have a built in separate amp?, if so how do you connect to it, or avoid it?
Old 05-01-10, 10:04 PM
Sydney470
Driver School Candidate

ok , i am about to install a new stereo 2 din, fist thing is first, how do you get this dash out?? Just pull it? or is there release screws, mine looks the same as this one above
Old 10-15-10, 11:51 AM
showlandy
Driver School Candidate

Sydney,

Hope this is not to late... you can get a plastic pry bar kit or use a flat head screw driver and carefully go around the whole dash unit. Mine pulled out fairly easily. You will have enough room to sort of lay the entire piece on the gear ****, then you can start disconnecting all the plugs for the ac and all that stuff. I know that you dont need the small antenna plug just the bigger one... i had questions about which wires to pull and I understand your confusion.. The best advice i can give is to use a some test leads to make sure you have all the correct wires. I had trouble with the correct antenna lead.. so test them all before you put it all back together!

oh yeah I made the trim piece from some black plexi I bought a sheet for 5 bucks at electronic parts store.. got plenty extra to make a new one when I put the EQ back in.. On that note if you do go that route, I just heat up the back of the plexi and bent it into place.

hope this helps

showlandy
Old 04-07-15, 04:38 PM
Fernando84
Driver School Candidate

Default Lx 470 radio advice

Hello everyone, I own a 2000 lexus 470 and the radio it orginally is installed with is broken, so I would like to know if i can replace it with an after market radio, and if so, what would you reccomend? And also would I need the wire harness for the aftermarket radio? Lastly, what else would need to be change if the new aftermarket radio is installed. Thank you.
Old 04-08-15, 01:59 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fernando84
Hello everyone, I own a 2000 lexus 470 and the radio it orginally is installed with is broken, so I would like to know if i can replace it with an after market radio, and if so, what would you reccomend? And also would I need the wire harness for the aftermarket radio? Lastly, what else would need to be change if the new aftermarket radio is installed. Thank you.
Here's some good info for you:

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/05/land-...stereo-wiring/

A Pioneer or Kenwood double din should work in your application, but you'll need to find a new dash kit to replace the plastic surround currently molded for your OEM stereo. These can be found all over the 'net. Wiring the new head unit is typically made way easier with a wiring harness that links between your OEM harness and the head unit, but I think the LX's may be a case where a jumper harness isn't available. They use a different harness and/or wire pin placement versus the Land Cruiser. If you're not handy with wire splicing and dash parts removal you may want to consider leaving the job to a professional. Good luck.