ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-1st-and-2nd-gen-1996-2007-202/)
-   -   2002 Lx Location of 02 sensor ??? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-1st-and-2nd-gen-1996-2007/319701-2002-lx-location-of-02-sensor.html)

bangbang001 11-21-07 07:36 AM

2002 Lx Location of 02 sensor ???

CEL came on had it checked. Code P0135 Bank1 Sensor1 Before the cats

Can someone tell me exactly where this sensor is located?

Thanks and have a good day

Sewell 11-21-07 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a picture that has the Oxygen sensor on it. This is the best I could find so far. I'll keep looking and let you know. The Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the 89465 that is highlighted blue.

-Regan

Sewell 11-21-07 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found it! See if this helps ya.

-Regan

kyoso23 11-22-07 08:33 AM

If you're doing one upstream o2 sensor, I was told you should just do both. And a little tip, take the wheel off and pop off the splashgaurd to get to it. It makes the job go really easy. Leave your battery unhooked while you do the repair and hold down the brake pedal for like 20 seconds before you hook it up again. Hook everything back up and you'll be good to go.

asong26 04-14-08 11:05 AM

How do you pop off the splash guard?

I looked, and it seems to have several 'button' type plugs there. I tried to pop them out by pushing the button from the inside to avoid breaking the guards. It comes out a little to a point where the button is loosened, but it does not come out all the way. Is there a specific method, or tool that needs to be used with this?

I just received a CEL with Bank 1 Sensor 1. I've ordered the part, but wanted to replace it myself rather than paying the local guys ($70 for labor).

Also, is it possible to replace it without the taking the wheel off? I can see the entire splashguard enclosure with the height controled cranked up to 'high'.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

lexusrott 04-14-08 05:11 PM

^^^ I would rather pay the extra bucks !!

You could also check ; ih8mud.com

That's a Land Cruiser website, the twin sister of the LX.

asong26 04-14-08 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by lexusrott (Post 3445964)
^^^ I would rather pay the extra bucks !!

You could also check ; ih8mud.com

That's a Land Cruiser website, the twin sister of the LX.

Thanks. I did look at the ih8mud site. The instructions posted there are same as here... "pop open the splash guard, and replace the sensor with ant-seize on the thread." I need to get to the sensor, but did want to yank the guard too much to the point where they might break...

LEXpert 04-14-08 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by asong26 (Post 3444786)
I looked, and it seems to have several 'button' type plugs there. I tried to pop them out by pushing the button from the inside to avoid breaking the guards. It comes out a little to a point where the button is loosened, but it does not come out all the way. Is there a specific method, or tool that needs to be used with this?

I just received a CEL with Bank 1 Sensor 1. I've ordered the part, but wanted to replace it myself rather than paying the local guys ($70 for labor).

Also, is it possible to replace it without the taking the wheel off? I can see the entire splashguard enclosure with the height controled cranked up to 'high'.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm just browsing the LX side, I don't own one, but do they lower themselves when you shut them off?

I don't want to be the guy to read your post and not say anything, then see a RIP thread because you got squished in your wheel well.

kyoso23 04-15-08 02:08 PM

The clips to the splashgaurd should just unscrew and then press them back in when you're done. I didn't remove my wheel on the driver's side, but I was able to get to it from underneath the truck on that side. I still took the splash gaurd partially off for the extra room. It took a total of about 10 minutes start to finish on the driver's side. If the LX does in fact lower itself upon shut off, you might be better off just removing the wheel (use a jackstand obviously) and partially removing the splashgaurd. If you've got the sensor part way out of the clip already just keep wiggling it with the button pushed until it finally comes out. Mine were on there really good and it took some coaxing, just don't use anything to pry on it. Be sure to have your battery disconnected and depress your brake pedal with the battery unhooked for 15 seconds or so to ensure your CEL will clear.

osomoso 04-15-08 06:08 PM

Be sure to replace both upstream sensors at the same time. It is likely the other will need to be done soon. Raise the vehicle, then shut off the height control, no worries about gettin' squished.

asong26 04-15-08 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by osomoso (Post 3449198)
Be sure to replace both upstream sensors at the same time. It is likely the other will need to be done soon. Raise the vehicle, then shut off the height control, no worries about gettin' squished.

The other (Bank 2 Sensor 1) was replaced last year in May. Is it still recommended that they are both replaced at the same time regardless of the age of sensor?

asong26 04-15-08 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by kyoso23 (Post 3448529)
The clips to the splashgaurd should just unscrew and then press them back in when you're done. I didn't remove my wheel on the driver's side, but I was able to get to it from underneath the truck on that side. I still took the splash gaurd partially off for the extra room. It took a total of about 10 minutes start to finish on the driver's side. If the LX does in fact lower itself upon shut off, you might be better off just removing the wheel (use a jackstand obviously) and partially removing the splashgaurd. If you've got the sensor part way out of the clip already just keep wiggling it with the button pushed until it finally comes out. Mine were on there really good and it took some coaxing, just don't use anything to pry on it. Be sure to have your battery disconnected and depress your brake pedal with the battery unhooked for 15 seconds or so to ensure your CEL will clear.

Thank you very much for that. Great instructions. My next step would've been to use a plier to gently hold the splash guards and pull the screws out. I guess it will take a bit more patience and TLC to get them out without damage. I'll follow your advice and just use my hand to wiggle them out somehow.

Appreciate the advice.

kyoso23 04-16-08 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by asong26 (Post 3449434)
The other (Bank 2 Sensor 1) was replaced last year in May. Is it still recommended that they are both replaced at the same time regardless of the age of sensor?

Nah, you should be fine if the other one's been replaced already. It would bug me if I had two different brands running though. It's just that if one goes, the other's typically not far behind if you're running on the originals. You should be happy you got a year out of the other side.

osomoso 04-16-08 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by kyoso23 (Post 3452209)
Nah, you should be fine if the other one's been replaced already. It would bug me if I had two different brands running though. It's just that if one goes, the other's typically not far behind if you're running on the originals. You should be happy you got a year out of the other side.

Ditto.:thumbup:

asong26 04-16-08 08:15 PM

Thanks guys. Just replaced today!