LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Brush Guard on LX470

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 07:06 AM
pm77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brush Guard on LX470

I’m thinking to get Brush Guard install to my 2004 LX470. Any suggestion, which brand etc. I have heard of Manik but not seen on LX470.

Thanks,
Puneet
Old 05-04-04, 08:21 AM
roberttran
Pole Position

What is the purpose of the brush guard? Looks or protection? I had a manik and I hate it. I before that I use to have a Waag and it was better looking and felt more solid and sturdy. I really like Jaos' stuff, but it's really expensive.
Note: brush guards do not provide extra protection from most accidents, it only increases body damage by bending and going into the side arch panels and hood.
If you are looking for protection, Jaos' front protector may help, but for real protection you'll want something like an ARB or TJM bullbar that replaces the front bumper.
I am currently doing some research on those, so shoot me questions if you have any.

-Robert

Last edited by roberttran; 05-04-04 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-06-04, 05:54 PM
stelios
Rookie

i have a waag on mine and I like it. I think It looks very good and very sturdy. If you need anything IM me
Old 05-06-04, 07:12 PM
pm77
Driver School Candidate

Well may be i am not looking for brush guard. I may have the wrong name. I am thinking of getting the grill which goes at the front of the vehicle to protect the front of the vehicle. May be i will get the fog light also.

Any idea what is it called?

thanks,
Puneet
Old 05-06-04, 08:03 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

you mean this thing?

That is a brush guard. Note the name: "brush guard". It's for brush, not protection from hitting something. If you hit something that can cause those bars in front of the headlamps to bend, imagine what would happen. They would just bend back, smashing the headlamp, side arch panel, hood, grill, etc. Without the thing, mostly the bumper takes all the damage and damage to the other areas are minimized. Now, with all that said, will all accident cause more damage with the brush guard? The answer is no. My dad had a 97 landcruiser and it had a brush guard when he rear ended someone. The cruiser was fine while the other guy needed a new trunk. Last year my mom ran my LX (with a brush guard) into a freeway guard rail. It was kind of hard to judge whether the guard protected anything since I wasn't there. The guard may or may not have protected the radiator (or whatever the first thing behind the grill was), but those bars bent in and smashed my headlamps and bent up my arch panel and hood. It really depends on the situation. Personally I nolonger like the look of a brush guard so I took mine off. I guess if the accident or impact is straight head on, those 2 heavy vertical bars would protect the vehicle, but for a slightly angled impact, those horzontal bars are going to bend.
If you are hell bent on trying a grill guard, I can sell you my old Manik grill guard along with a set of waag rear lamp protectors.

-Robert
Old 05-07-04, 10:34 AM
tabraha
Driver

ditto what robert said. ARB or TJM for me or nothing at all. My plan is an ARB and Warn M9000 winch down the road hopefully.

Tad
Old 05-08-04, 08:36 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with Robert too. I like the ARB on my 450.
I'm going Warn 12000 when it comes time to throw a winch in there. IIRC, it should fit w/o problems.
Old 05-09-04, 07:30 AM
pm77
Driver School Candidate

Hi Robert,

I don't know the difference between brush guard and ARB. New to this stuff. How does it look like and any idea how much does it cost. I would like to get the fog lights installed too.

Thanks,
Puneet
Old 05-09-04, 07:41 AM
roberttran
Pole Position

The picture above is a brush guard. Pictured below is the ARB sahara bull bar (the model I want )

In the picture it is a land cruiser, but the LX and landcruiser are almost identical. That entire bumper and the chrome bar is the ARB bull bar. It replaces the factory bumper completely. The thing is steel (not plastic). I've asked some retailers and they told me that the bull bar comes with turn signals and fog lamps, so you will replace the factory turn signals and fogs. Those lights right infront of the grill are optional though. There is also a mount for a winch if you ever feel the need for one.
Cost wise, that particular model goes for about $1200. It is more expensive then some brush guards but it will provide much more protection. Now, I think the Jaos brush guard costs almost as much. But that is because it is made of stainless steel. The ARB isn't, but I havn't heard of anyone complain of rust. You can also take the ARB bull bar to be painted to match your cladding so it matches the vehicle.

-Robert
Old 05-10-04, 01:03 PM
davetruong
Driver School Candidate

Default Brush Guard

Hey Robert,

Are you still getting rid of your brush guard and rear light protectors? Let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-10-04, 04:33 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Default Re: Brush Guard

Originally posted by davetruong
Hey Robert,

Are you still getting rid of your brush guard and rear light protectors? Let me know. Thanks!
Yeah I am, they are sitting in my basement collectiong dust. I see that you are in California, shipping this sucker may be a hassle. Let me know if you are still interested.

-Robert
Old 05-10-04, 11:57 PM
davetruong
Driver School Candidate

Default I am interested

How much are you getting rid of them for? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!
Old 05-11-04, 03:41 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Default Re: I am interested

Originally posted by davetruong
How much are you getting rid of them for? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!
I was thinking around $180 + shipping for everything. I don't have a digicam so I'll try to borrow one to snap some pics. There is a scratch on the left side though.

-Robert
Old 05-11-04, 08:39 PM
davetruong
Driver School Candidate

Default Brush Guard

Thanks for the reply robert. I'm definately interested. Please send me the pictures and any other correspondence(s) to davetruong@aol.com

Look forward in hearing from you.
Old 05-19-10, 08:50 PM
2007ISDRVR
Driver School Candidate

Default 98-03 Toyota Landcrusier/ LX470 JAOS Brushguard for sale

Basically brand new. This is an original JAOS Stainless Brushguard that was $1600.00. It's for sale now, and will fit a 98+ Landcruiser/LX470. PM me if you're interested in pics. I will sell it for 500 OBO. Don't know how much it would be to ship...It's pretty heavy.

Quick Reply: Brush Guard on LX470