LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replacement of Front Shock Absorbers -DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 06:44 AM
marylandlp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement of Front Shock Absorbers -DIY

Replacing the shocks is a relatively straight forward process if you follow the steps below. The job can be done without special tools except for the tie rod end remover. I took the struts to a garage and had them install the new shocks. Others have done the replacement themselves. I found it too cumbersome for one person to hold the strut and compress the spring .The garage charged me $50/side.t was well worth the $110.00.
1. Loosen the lug nuts
2. Jack up the vehicle
3. Place a jack stand under the frame
4. Remove the wheel, caliper, rotor and dust shield.
5. Remove the tie rod end from the steering knuckle using the tie rod remover
6. Turn the steering wheel in the direction opposite to the side you are working on.eg. right wheel (turn wheel all the way counterclockwise).By doing so, you will be retracting the rubber boot on the inner tie rod enabling you to remove the bolt holding the front no.2 suspension lower control arm to the body frame..
7. Remove the bolt that attaches the lower strut to the suspension lower arm assembly.
8 .Remove the three nuts in the engine compartment holding the strut in place.
9. Disconnect the electrical wiring that will interfere with sliding the strut out. Slide the strut out and replace the shock or take it to a garage to have it done.
10. Reassemble in reverse order
11. Final torque readings
a, bolt at bottom of strut—108 n-m
b. 3 nuts on top of strut-67n-m
c. bolt attaching lower control arm to frame—145 n-m
d. tie rod end-60 n-m
e. caliper-135 n-m
f. lug bolts-103 ft-lbs
While you have the struts out, inspect the bushings and rubber tie rod sleeves. Also measure the thickness of the pads to determine whether they need replacement.
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (06-30-22)
Old 01-29-15, 07:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandlp
Replacing the shocks is a relatively straight forward process if you follow the steps below. The job can be done without special tools except for the tie rod end remover. I took the struts to a garage and had them install the new shocks. Others have done the replacement themselves. I found it too cumbersome for one person to hold the strut and compress the spring .The garage charged me $50/side.t was well worth the $110.00.
1. Loosen the lug nuts
2. Jack up the vehicle
3. Place a jack stand under the frame
4. Remove the wheel, caliper, rotor and dust shield.
5. Remove the tie rod end from the steering knuckle using the tie rod remover
6. Turn the steering wheel in the direction opposite to the side you are working on.eg. right wheel (turn wheel all the way counterclockwise).By doing so, you will be retracting the rubber boot on the inner tie rod enabling you to remove the bolt holding the front no.2 suspension lower control arm to the body frame..
7. Remove the bolt that attaches the lower strut to the suspension lower arm assembly.
8 .Remove the three nuts in the engine compartment holding the strut in place.
9. Disconnect the electrical wiring that will interfere with sliding the strut out. Slide the strut out and replace the shock or take it to a garage to have it done.
10. Reassemble in reverse order
11. Final torque readings
a, bolt at bottom of strut—108 n-m
b. 3 nuts on top of strut-67n-m
c. bolt attaching lower control arm to frame—145 n-m
d. tie rod end-60 n-m
e. caliper-135 n-m
f. lug bolts-103 ft-lbs
While you have the struts out, inspect the bushings and rubber tie rod sleeves. Also measure the thickness of the pads to determine whether they need replacement.
What caused you to replace the shocks? Symptoms? Are you planning on doing the rear shocks as well?
Old 01-29-15, 10:02 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Added ths thread to the FAQ sticky, thank you for your contribution to the LS family!
Old 01-29-15, 05:13 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any pics of steps 5-6? This is the step that will stump some guys.
Old 01-31-15, 06:18 AM
marylandlp
Rookie

Default replacing front shocks

Originally Posted by roadfrog
What caused you to replace the shocks? Symptoms? Are you planning on doing the rear shocks as well?
I had cupping on the l/r sides of both front tires.At present,I don't plan to do the rears.
Old 01-31-15, 06:48 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandlp
I had cupping on the l/r sides of both front tires.At present,I don't plan to do the rears.
Excellent diagnosis of the causes of tire cupping, usually it is the shocks doing this. When the shock part of the strut goes, it has an impossible time controlling the spring, causing the tire to scuff and bounce uncontrollably on the pavement. It's not the only cause, but it is definitely a leading cause.

The front end of the LS460 looks pretty easy to work on (if it's rear wheel drive)...but hopefully I won't have to be doing that any time soon.
Old 01-31-15, 07:09 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Also a leaking strut is also a symptom. The front will all eventually fail. The rears will probably last almost the life of the car.
Old 02-02-15, 03:45 PM
marylandlp
Rookie

Default front shock absorber

Originally Posted by is150
Any pics of steps 5-6? This is the step that will stump some guys.
Unfortunately,I didn't take any pictures.However,if you Google "DIY tie rod end removal" you will get several hits that show you how to do it.It's pretty easy after you have watched the clip.
Old 01-22-16, 04:41 PM
johnbros01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great - I have been trying to do my Front Struts and I have gotten all kind of suggestions that I didn't see as reasonable. Its is apparent that I need to remove the bolt in the Lower arm but I couldn't see how to remove it - DAH - turn the wheel. Thanks
Old 01-23-16, 07:14 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Great post. Just curious as to what year is your LS.
Old 02-15-16, 07:52 AM
johnbros01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry - Just finished front struts - my LS460 is a 2008 base. To replace them I took the Arm bolt out after turning the wheel as you suggested - Breeze to remove, then I removed the Stabilizer Link bolts and pulled one side out so the arm could drop. Then lowered the arm and pulled the Strut out. When I replaced, I had to use a Mirror and a 3/8 6" extension to line up the bolt so it would go in without using a hammer, then had to screw it in to get it all the way through, but the Alignment was fine and strut job did not take as long as I had expected. I couldn't find a torque specification on the arm bolt, link nor the Strut so I used 100 ft lbs on those under the car and about 75 on the upper three bolts. I found this by putting the adjustment on the torque wrench to 60, then stopping the extraction when it clicked until I finally took it off at about 100 without any click of the wrench. Crude, but better than nothing.
Old 02-15-16, 10:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Here's the specs:

Originally Posted by johnbros01
Sorry - Just finished front struts - my LS460 is a 2008 base. To replace them I took the Arm bolt out after turning the wheel as you suggested - Breeze to remove, then I removed the Stabilizer Link bolts and pulled one side out so the arm could drop. Then lowered the arm and pulled the Strut out. When I replaced, I had to use a Mirror and a 3/8 6" extension to line up the bolt so it would go in without using a hammer, then had to screw it in to get it all the way through, but the Alignment was fine and strut job did not take as long as I had expected. I couldn't find a torque specification on the arm bolt, link nor the Strut so I used 100 ft lbs on those under the car and about 75 on the upper three bolts. I found this by putting the adjustment on the torque wrench to 60, then stopping the extraction when it clicked until I finally took it off at about 100 without any click of the wrench. Crude, but better than nothing.
The following users liked this post:
capt (03-21-17)
Old 02-18-16, 05:30 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 107 Posts

I just replaced the front air strut on my 2007. You really don't need to do any of the above. It only took 15 minutes or so. You unbolt the strut then unbolt bolt upper control arms from the knuckle assembly. The strut comes right out.
Old 04-10-19, 01:04 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LILEVO
I just replaced the front air strut on my 2007. You really don't need to do any of the above. It only took 15 minutes or so. You unbolt the strut then unbolt bolt upper control arms from the knuckle assembly. The strut comes right out.
I don't understand why people had to remove brake calipers, etc. I could understand upper control arms but there should be room to slide out the strut. My problem is I can't remove the stuck lower strut assembly bolt. It's number 2 in the diagram. I am going to use heat to loosen the nut. I did put in a bunch of kroil oil. My bolt is kinda stripped. I am going to home depot to pick up the bolt.

https://www.mylparts.com/v-2007-lexu...and-components
Old 07-18-20, 06:39 PM
MidwestLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone share tips on replacing the fronts on an AWD car? The lower shock mount is different, it curves to accommodate the drive axle.
it seems like removing the outer tie rod end from the knuckle will make enough room to remove the shock and spring, but I’m a little worried about getting the stud for the lower shock mount back through the eye in the knuckle. Will I have to disconnect the upper control arms to pull the knuckle “down” far enough to push the stud through and seat it properly? I had the upper control arms loose and nothing really wanted to drop with the shock and spring in place.

Last edited by MidwestLS; 07-18-20 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Add info

Quick Reply: Replacement of Front Shock Absorbers -DIY