LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 04:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default ALL DONE - Wired in and working - LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics

I installed my LED mirrors today. I haven't yet wired them up, because the weather turned, so I 'll post that part when I'm done.

Here's how they look:

First part of this job requires removing the mirror assy, There are plenty of posts and pics on how to remove the glass and the covers, so I'll skip that part. Once that's done, you will need to remove the inner door panels.

Remove the trim piece as shown. Behind it is a screw that needs to be removed:

Next, remove the screw located in the map pocket:

The last screw to remove is under the window switch panel:

Next, pull the panel away and then lift it up and away from the door. There are a few connectors to detach and then put the panel aside. The panel is attached with a bunch of clips, but they are pretty sturdy, so you should be able to do this without breaking any.

You will also have to detach the ECU attached to the door with two large screws. Behind it is an access panel held on with some gummy black sealant that stays pliable enough to re-attach after your done removing the mirror assy. The mirror is held to the door with three nuts as shown in the pic.

Now, you can pull the assy away from the door, which will give you access to the mirror mounting area to fish the wires from the new mirrors down and through the base of the mirror. There is a clear plastic piece that is held with two screws (as seen in pic). Removing that will allow you to get the wires through. I used a coat hanger to feed the wires.:

Once the wires are fed through, you can re-install the mirror in the reverse order.

Now, we need to run the wires through the rubber access boot, again with a coat hanger wire.

So now all the wires are fed through the kick panels and just need to be hooked up. I found the flasher module above the steering wheel shaft, but it looks really hard to get at with connectors. I am leaning towards running the wires through the firewall and up to the parking light assemblies on each side of the front of the car. There are plenty of ground points under the dash, so I will only need to run the remaining two wires (red and blue).

STAY TUNED!!

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-08-15 at 07:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
Chaos236 (03-10-17), sha4000 (12-08-17)
Old 12-16-14, 05:54 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks good. How about a picture of the mirrors from further away. Maybe like from the front of the car? Just a further point of view
Old 12-18-14, 05:53 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Great! Where did you get the mirrors? Cost?? I'd like to do mine.
Old 12-26-14, 06:25 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here:

http://www.carid.com/2009-lexus-ls-t...-26138894.html

Good news is, they are on sale at a significant discount right now for $300

Thank You Very Much for the Great DIY instructions. I'm looking forward to seeing the wiring part of this and also seeing the finished product!

Thanks again!

Last edited by FreddyG; 12-30-14 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 10:40 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
The link takes me to LED tail lights, not mirrors or did the subject take a turn and I missed it (lately, that's been known to happen )

Thank You Very Much for the Great DIY instructions. I'm looking forward to seeing the wiring part of this and also seeing the finished product!

Thanks again!
It's these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151166116071?nav=SEARCH

I picked these up as well. One small note, where the narrow end of the light sits on the mirror cover there's a small gap. Try sanding the mirror cover so the light sits flush prior to painting.
Old 12-27-14, 06:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The link takes me to LED tail lights, not mirrors or did the subject take a turn and I missed it (lately, that's been known to happen )

Thanks again!
oops! My mistake. I deleted my post.

I was going to wire these up this weekend, but rain set in, so I will do them later this week.

I've decided to wiring them up under the hood - either to the fuse block or the parking light harness. I just need to feed the wires through the firewall.
Old 01-04-15, 08:32 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

HI Roadfrog...Have you had a chance to wire these up?

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turned out.

Thanks
Old 01-05-15, 08:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

HI Roadfrog...Have you had a chance to wire these up?

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turned out.

Thanks
No not yet...weather hasn't co operated. I hope to later this week though. I have found a link to where an easily accesible connection is available near the drivers side kick panel. We'll see. Worst case scenario is through the firewall and to the front parking/turn signal lights.
Old 01-06-15, 10:34 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

No not yet...weather hasn't co operated. I hope to later this week though. I have found a link to where an easily accesible connection is available near the drivers side kick panel. We'll see. Worst case scenario is through the firewall and to the front parking/turn signal lights.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it. That might make me pull the trigger on a pair of them.
Old 01-06-15, 11:37 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Worst case scenario is through the firewall and to the front parking/turn signal lights.
Honestly, that's not that bad of an option if done cleanly with wire hiding
Old 01-06-15, 06:31 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn signal color code

I hope this will helps!
Attached Thumbnails LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics-screen-shot-2015-01-06-at-7.26.00-pm.png  
Old 01-06-15, 07:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Honestly, that's not that bad of an option if done cleanly with wire hiding
Yep, especially the way I do it.....wire looms, plastic conduit etc.

I hope this will helps!
Thanks mate! That jives with the other info I have.
The following users liked this post:
cryptodonis (06-05-23)
Old 01-06-15, 08:35 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lieup
I hope this will helps!
You don't happen to have the wire color and plug for the parking lights??
Old 01-07-15, 04:41 AM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Footwell Lights that Fades with Dome Light

If you want the mirror cover LED side bar to operate like the footwell light at night time, I would highly recommend to tap the + wire from the Footwell Lighting, that way it will Fades with Dome Lights and it's not to bright from the outside. Or, you can tap to the welcome light below your mirror, which will operate the same function as your welcome light.

I wouldn't tap to parking light due to bright at night and that may causes too much attention from other vehicles or police at night on the road.
Old 01-07-15, 05:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lieup
If you want the mirror cover LED side bar to operate like the footwell light at night time, I would highly recommend to tap the + wire from the Footwell Lighting, that way it will Fades with Dome Lights and it's not to bright from the outside. Or, you can tap to the welcome light below your mirror, which will operate the same function as your welcome light.

I wouldn't tap to parking light due to bright at night and that may causes too much attention from other vehicles or police at night on the road.
There should be no illegalities having them come on with parking lights as several cars have these factory installed, like the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-20-17 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics