LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Collision Prevent Assist System

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 12:19 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collision Prevent Assist System

How is the Lexus LS system working?

Here is a video about the Collision Prevent Assist System on a Mercedes Benz:

However, this video is not authorized by Mercedes-Benz and therefore the author added a warning. Did the system fail and therefore killed the young Adolf? Would a Lexus system fail, too?

Last edited by whitetooth; 08-27-13 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 01:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I've never used the MB system, but if it is like the Lexus system, the MB system didn't fail.

The Lexus Pre-Collision System will detect an object you are closing on. As it begins braking and pre-tensioning the seat belts, it will sound an audible warning and flash a visible warning. At this point it is incumbent on the driver to take appropriate braking and steering action.

So little Adolph would live if it were a Lexus, and I think as well with a MB. I know when the Lexus system becomes disabled, e.g. In heavy rain, it will audibly and visually notify the driver that it has deactivated.
Old 08-27-13, 02:15 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I've never used the MB system, but if it is like the Lexus system, the MB system didn't fail.

The Lexus Pre-Collision System will detect an object you are closing on. As it begins braking and pre-tensioning the seat belts, it will sound an audible warning and flash a visible warning. At this point it is incumbent on the driver to take appropriate braking and steering action.

So little Adolph would live if it were a Lexus, and I think as well with a MB. I know when the Lexus system becomes disabled, e.g. In heavy rain, it will audibly and visually notify the driver that it has deactivated.
Ok, glad this question came up because I have been wondering myself. My LS600hL has PCS, but the base PCS system without the infareds on the steering column to detect my eye movement and also do not have the camera/sensors next to rearview mirror looking forward.

I was wondering if my "PCS" system only works when I am using my Radar Cruise Control or if it is ALWAYS on regardless. I have not had a situation to where somthing came out in the road without me seeing it first to slow down, but I know for sure the radar cruise when engaged will slow the car down hard if rush up on a slower or stopped car. But I don't think it works just driving around town without cruise being engaged. I have read the the manuals but perhaps it is doing its job, just hasn't had to work hard yet..I dunno.
Old 08-27-13, 02:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, on my system I have to engage the cruise control. When I bought my car I also looked at the S550. As I recall it had basically the same system as the LS. I'm sure they have probably made refinements since then.
Old 08-27-13, 11:28 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Ok, glad this question came up because I have been wondering myself. My LS600hL has PCS, but the base PCS system without the infareds on the steering column to detect my eye movement and also do not have the camera/sensors next to rearview mirror looking forward.

I was wondering if my "PCS" system only works when I am using my Radar Cruise Control or if it is ALWAYS on regardless. I have not had a situation to where somthing came out in the road without me seeing it first to slow down, but I know for sure the radar cruise when engaged will slow the car down hard if rush up on a slower or stopped car. But I don't think it works just driving around town without cruise being engaged. I have read the the manuals but perhaps it is doing its job, just hasn't had to work hard yet..I dunno.
No, PCS is always on. Dynamic cruise does not need to be activated - that is a separate function using the same hardware.
Old 08-28-13, 04:44 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by aypues

No, PCS is always on. Dynamic cruise does not need to be activated - that is a separate function using the same hardware.
Thanks. .almost want to find a big inflatable thing to put in the road to see what happens lol

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-28-13, 05:49 AM
RodT
Pole Position

@jitty, i was wondering the samething
Old 08-28-13, 07:05 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by RodT
@jitty, i was wondering the samething
Maybe one of these cats has a blow up doll..we can hook up a string and dangle it off a bridge so when we hit it, it just goes over the car...or someone with a fishing pole standing on the side of the road in a pickup truck bed lolol

Old 08-28-13, 07:02 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks. .almost want to find a big inflatable thing to put in the road to see what happens lol

Regular PCS might not be sensitive enough for that...it is only designed to detect variances in vehicle closing speeds with radar and if the algorithm determines a collision is imminent, it will throw you back in the chair (take out all the slack in your seatbelt), prep brake assist for full braking power once you hit it, and automatically put the air suspension in sport mode to prevent nose dive and increase maneuverability. I have this on my 2004 LS430 (1st Lexus to offer this technology), and it has gone off 3 times...all three were close calls and I felt SO SAFE that the car knew what was going on and could help prevent a collision from happening!

Only the Advanced PCS would be able to detect non-vehicular (soft) objects in the LS' path using a combination of cameras, infrared imagery, and radar - and it has the steering wheel mounted cameras looking at you inside to give you more advance notice if you aren't paying attention and an object is in your path.

Only the 2013+ LS with A-PCS will automatically brake the car without any driver input under 24mph.

Video:

Last edited by aypues; 08-28-13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 03:06 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitetooth
How is the Lexus LS system working?

Here is a video about the Collision Prevent Assist System on a Mercedes Benz:

However, this video is not authorized by Mercedes-Benz and therefore the author added a warning. Did the system fail and therefore killed the young Adolf? Would a Lexus system fail, too?
The movie won the First Steps Award

http://www.firststeps.de/welcome.html

It is the best satire I ever watched. Mercedes is a sponsor of the award but not amused. Congratulations to Tobias Haase

who visualized the manufacturers slogan: Detects dangers before they come up.

Stop at 1:14 to see the picture of old Adolf responsible for about 60 million ww2 deaths. An Assist can save life, one or many of them.

Last edited by whitetooth; 09-19-13 at 03:11 PM. Reason: link correction
Old 05-12-14, 10:23 AM
CJITTY

Well, I almost had a collision this morning but my PCS system didn't seem to activate, so I guess the situation wasn't extreme enough to trigger anything. My new dodge durango pre collision system is very sensitive when people cut me off or slow down to get over in another lane and alerts. I wish my 600hL system did that to give me more time if I am not paying attention or something, but I found this write up due to all the questions Lexus Customer Service was getting on PCS vs Advanced PCS

ARTICLE ----> http://drivers.lexus.com/pub-share/m...Collision.html
Old 05-12-14, 11:32 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know if you have the advanced vs regular? I have a 2007 LS460L Executive package.
Old 05-12-14, 11:33 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aypues
Regular PCS might not be sensitive enough for that...it is only designed to detect variances in vehicle closing speeds with radar and if the algorithm determines a collision is imminent, it will throw you back in the chair (take out all the slack in your seatbelt), prep brake assist for full braking power once you hit it, and automatically put the air suspension in sport mode to prevent nose dive and increase maneuverability. I have this on my 2004 LS430 (1st Lexus to offer this technology), and it has gone off 3 times...all three were close calls and I felt SO SAFE that the car knew what was going on and could help prevent a collision from happening!

Only the Advanced PCS would be able to detect non-vehicular (soft) objects in the LS' path using a combination of cameras, infrared imagery, and radar - and it has the steering wheel mounted cameras looking at you inside to give you more advance notice if you aren't paying attention and an object is in your path.

Only the 2013+ LS with A-PCS will automatically brake the car without any driver input under 24mph.

Video:
2013 Lexus LS - Advanced PCS - YouTube
I can't watch this video!!!!! Some stupid message about copyright infringement.

"2013 Lexus LS ..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.
Old 05-12-14, 12:58 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by triniexr
How do you know if you have the advanced vs regular? I have a 2007 LS460L Executive package.
Did you look the link I provided in my reply? Advanced has the infrareds on the top of the steering column, regular does not..and a few other differences but that is the fastest way to tell
Old 05-12-14, 02:54 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Well, I almost had a collision this morning but my PCS system didn't seem to activate, so I guess the situation wasn't extreme enough to trigger anything. My new dodge durango pre collision system is very sensitive when people cut me off or slow down to get over in another lane and alerts. I wish my 600hL system did that to give me more time if I am not paying attention or something, but I found this write up due to all the questions Lexus Customer Service was getting on PCS vs Advanced PCS

ARTICLE ----> http://drivers.lexus.com/pub-share/m...Collision.html
Mine sends warnings quite often. Whenever there is something in the way and the Lexus cannot detect the course of the road (stupid car) and my corning in advance (acceptable), the dashboard flashes yellow and audio warnings tells me, the APCS is working.

Closing eyes (or extreme dark glasses) and watching the passenger seat is activating the system behind the driver attention monitoring immediately. No, no, my passenger seat was unoccupied! Maybe that was identified as not logical

Quick Reply: Collision Prevent Assist System