LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I have to tell everyone. I love this forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 05:39 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I have to tell everyone. I love this forum

So after doing some searching and browsing thru the threads, I finally got all of the info I need to do what I need to do. I began yesterday at noon and was completely done by 4pm. I did the brakes, installed HID for the fogs, installed LED on the nike lights and replace my headlights because one kept going out so I knew it was time to chage. All this was done in less than 4 hours. As well designed and complicated as this car is, the brakes were the easiest part to do. It almost took longer to raise the car and remove the wheels than the actual changing of the pads. I figured since the wheels were going to be off anyways, it'll be a perfect opportunity to do the lights and fogs.

All this was done thanks to the know how and write ups by members of this forum. At no point did I have any hangups or even doubts while diving into it this venture. Once again, to all and to the ones that do write up, thanks.
Old 09-18-11, 07:01 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear any pictures especially of the brake job ???
Old 09-18-11, 07:59 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by derpie
Glad to hear any pictures especially of the brake job ???
Also, what type of brake pads did you use and are you satisfied with them? By the way, I agree, this forum can provide you with a wealth of information regarding your vehicle.

Last edited by Silverpaws; 09-18-11 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-18-11, 09:18 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also know about your brakes!
Old 09-18-11, 11:19 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the brakes look like the have pins that can be removed to take out the brake pads so it looks like a simple swap without take off the caliper braket... am i correct on that????
Old 09-19-11, 10:02 AM
305Busa
Instructor

I went with the duralast ceramics. A couple of other members went with these and didnt have any complaints. One even stated that the brakes felt more mechanical as opposed to electronic and they do. They seem to have a smoother feel and feels like youre doing the work, not the computer. Sorry, I didnt take any pics of the brake job but its pretty simple. 2 pins on each caliper, push the pistons back without releasing bleeder valve and drop the new ones in and reverse the installation. Each wheel took a total of about 20 minutes including removal of the wheel. Once I was done, I started the car and you can hear it going thru some sort of process with the braking system. I waited until the sounds were done and drove the car. Not a single problem.
Old 09-19-11, 10:17 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Almost forgot. Here's the only pic I took of the caliper but it was to see the how the pin at the bottom went so that when I put the new one on. You can see its pretty simple. 2 pins slide out and the pads come right out.
Attached Thumbnails I have to tell everyone. I love this forum-job4.jpg  
Old 09-19-11, 10:20 AM
305Busa
Instructor

And here's everything else I did. HID fogs, upgraded headlight bulbs and nike light LED. HID and headlights are 6K.
Attached Thumbnails I have to tell everyone. I love this forum-job2.jpg   I have to tell everyone. I love this forum-job5.jpg   I have to tell everyone. I love this forum-job6.jpg   I have to tell everyone. I love this forum-job8.jpg  
Old 09-19-11, 11:35 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sweet man!! i love this forum too the upgrades are lookin good man!!
Old 09-19-11, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I recently went to ceramic pads and have been getting this weird whirling noise when I come to a hard stop from high speed. Its sounds like your stopping with an old set of summer tires. I called the brake company and they said that the ceramic pads may be to hard for the LS460 and that I should swap back to oem pads. Any issue like this with your pads?? I have an appointment to swap them out in a week or so
Old 09-19-11, 01:04 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great job!!!

did you have to replace the brake sensors (did the brake light go off making you replacing the pads)? How many miles on your original pads? Thx.
Old 09-19-11, 03:16 PM
Opaline460
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

LOVE DIS SITE TOO! I learned how to swap the nike lights, the chirping amp issue, and what size tires i need if ima ever go for some 20's/22's thanks guys!!
Old 09-19-11, 06:21 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

what brand of bulbs did you end up with????? as far as the headlights and the fog???
Old 09-19-11, 06:49 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Great work!!! Mods done at home are always fun..plus you really get to know your car! I personally hate this site....why you ask? because it has caused me to spend money reviewing all these great threads and realizing all the potential our cars have LMAO! When I first bought it, I was pretty sure I was just going to tint the windows and upgrade to the touring wheels. Now, I have HID fogs, Nike, reverse and interior LEDs, some 20" wheels and Tanabe's on order. Thanks Club Lexus for adding line items to my bank statement haha

Club Lexus is the bidness!!
Old 09-19-11, 08:06 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

all good forums should do this!!!! CL is one the great ones..

Quick Reply: I have to tell everyone. I love this forum