LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Primacy MXV4 vs Primacy MXM4

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 05:46 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primacy MXV4 vs Primacy MXM4

Anyone have experience with these 2 tires? I walked into Costco today and priced them both out, the MXM4 was about $30 a tire more than the V4. I noticed Discount Tire has the Primacy MXM4 for $200 a tire which is substantially cheaper than costco.

Just wondering if anyone has rode on both. I am leaning towards the Primacy MXM4 if between those 2.

Last edited by Cronic; 01-17-13 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 07:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

The Primacy MXV4 has a proven track record with many million miles under their belt with reviews. The MXM4 is also a Touring Tire with what seems like a somewhat more aggressive tread block, but also has just a few miles for customer reviews in comparison. I'd stick with the MXV4 which I have on 2 of my cars.
Old 01-17-13, 07:33 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Thanks for you input. I was reading a test of the mxm4 on tirerack and they did exceptional.

I'd love to hear some firsthand experience as well.

Just thought it was a good deal being everywhere else the mxm4 is more expensive.
Old 01-18-13, 04:09 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, I'd say give it a try and see how they are. The MXV4 got all those reviews (including myself) because people gave it a try and logged those miles. I've had the MXV4 on my LS for almost 2 years now and have good experiences with them. Wearing even, keeps pressure, rides fine (I have 16").

With the MXM4, it's Michelin, so it won't be terrible, so as long as you can find a good to fair price for them, then do it... do it..
Old 01-18-13, 04:23 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
... I noticed Discount Tire has the Primacy MXM4 for $200 a tire which is substantially cheaper than costco....
I see on Costco today they are $209 for the OEM 17" tires. I would not consider that substantial figuring that install at Costco is $15 and includes lifetime balance/rotation and pressure check. Discount Tires you would still need to get them installed somewhere and would you get the same rotation and balancing for the life of tire?

Maybe you have larger tires that make the tire prices vary more, but I think the 17" tires are good at Costco.

** EDIT - I just saw Discount Tires and the same 17" are $197, so now if $12/tire, then that's significant for four $48.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 01-18-13 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 06:25 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Hmm, I'd stick with the V4s.

The M4's only have a 55K or 45K mileage wear warranty depending on speed rating and size. The V4's have a 60K mileage warranty regardless of size and rating. I have yet to get the full mileage from any tire, and the prorating is worth it to me for the sake of getting the next set. And, BTW, I have the V4's which replaced the Turanza's and they are a welcomed replacement.

Randy B
Old 01-18-13, 06:49 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I see on Costco today they are $209 for the OEM 17" tires. I would not consider that substantial figuring that install at Costco is $15 and includes lifetime balance/rotation and pressure check. Discount Tires you would still need to get them installed somewhere and would you get the same rotation and balancing for the life of tire?

Maybe you have larger tires that make the tire prices vary more, but I think the 17" tires are good at Costco.

** EDIT - I just saw Discount Tires and the same 17" are $197, so now if $12/tire, then that's significant for four $48.
I have the oem 18" and they are like 250 a tire on Costco and 200 at discount.

Originally Posted by Randy B
The M4's only have a 55K or 45K mileage wear warranty depending on speed rating and size. The V4's have a 60K mileage warranty regardless of size and rating. I have yet to get the full mileage from any tire, and the prorating is worth it to me for the sake of getting the next set. And, BTW, I have the V4's which replaced the Turanza's and they are a welcomed replacement.

Randy B
Thanks Randy. I actually have Turanza er33 summer tires on there now. They were on the car when I bought it. Looking at the online service record they were only put on 22k miles ago.

As for the warranty the extra 5k is nice but does it make up $200+ price difference? Especially considering I won't own this car for more than 30k miles more than likely.
Old 01-18-13, 07:22 AM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the m4 on my wife's 05 LS 430 a month ago. Quiet and she has no complaints.
Old 01-18-13, 08:20 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks Randy. I actually have Turanza er33 summer tires on there now. They were on the car when I bought it. Looking at the online service record they were only put on 22k miles ago.

As for the warranty the extra 5k is nice but does it make up $200+ price difference? Especially considering I won't own this car for more than 30k miles more than likely.
I wore out a set of Turanza ER33's in just 20,000 mile. I replaced with Michelin MXV4 and now have 45,000 miles on them. Will need to replace them within the next 3 to 4K miles.

Bonus: I like the MXV4 more than the ER33.
Old 01-18-13, 09:30 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texbanc
Just put the m4 on my wife's 05 LS 430 a month ago. Quiet and she has no complaints.
Thanks. That is the type of feedback I was looking for.
Originally Posted by jayclapp
I wore out a set of Turanza ER33's in just 20,000 mile. I replaced with Michelin MXV4 and now have 45,000 miles on them. Will need to replace them within the next 3 to 4K miles.

Bonus: I like the MXV4 more than the ER33.
Ya they sure do wear fast. Being in AZ I thought of running a summer tire but I don't think they'll deliver the level of comfort as a touring tire.

Are you doing v4's again?

Part of me says save the $400+ and get the kumho lx platinum. Lol
Old 01-18-13, 11:47 AM
hardimen
Rookie

Anyone have experience with these 2 tires? I walked into Costco today and priced them both out, the MXM4 was about $30 a tire more than the V4. I noticed Discount Tire has the Primacy MXM4 for $200 a tire which is substantially cheaper than costco.

Just wondering if anyone has rode on both. I am leaning towards the Primacy MXM4 if between those 2.
Are you sure the M4 costs more than the V4? I was just looking at the pricing at Discount Tire (online) for Primacy 245/45 R18 and the MXM4 is $200 each while the MXV4 is $226 each.

Incidentally, if you find a lower price, click on the link that says "Found it lower? Let us know" and enter your contact info and your location and a Discount Tire shop in your area will call you back with a matching price. I found a price lower ($221.99 each) for the V4 from BigO tires and Discount Tire matched it and even gave me a $70 Michelin rebate even if Discount Tire doesn't run that rebate anymore (Big O still have it thru 1/31/13).
Old 01-18-13, 12:03 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hardimen
Are you sure the M4 costs more than the V4? I was just looking at the pricing at Discount Tire (online) for Primacy 245/45 R18 and the MXM4 is $200 each while the MXV4 is $226 each.

Incidentally, if you find a lower price, click on the link that says "Found it lower? Let us know" and enter your contact info and your location and a Discount Tire shop in your area will call you back with a matching price. I found a price lower ($221.99 each) for the V4 from BigO tires and Discount Tire matched it and even gave me a $70 Michelin rebate even if Discount Tire doesn't run that rebate anymore (Big O still have it thru 1/31/13).
Yes, that is my point, and the point for this thread. EVERYWHERE else the MXM4 is more expensive. Discount tire has them for $200 which is much cheaper than everywhere else. That is why I am considering them over the v4.
Old 01-18-13, 01:55 PM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

I have V4's on my car and they great tires. It seems to me that M4 is slightly more performance and grip oriented. I would give up 10-15k miles on the V4's for more grip and same ride and noise.
Old 01-18-13, 03:01 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Ordered the MXM4. Was too good to pass up.
Old 01-18-13, 04:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Ordered the MXM4. Was too good to pass up.
Good luck with your tires. I'm sure they'll be fine as all Michelins are. Keep us posted with your experience with them.

Quick Reply: Primacy MXV4 vs Primacy MXM4