LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mark Levinson speakers GONE -> Kicker system to come

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 01:30 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
Yes it will. You need an 8 inch sub at least 8 ohms. This is what I ended up with after first buying a 4 ohm one that many here recommended but didnt realize was a bad recommendation. This one will work perfectly, not cut out or burn your amp out, fit perfectly as well, and happens to be on sale dirt cheap as well. Its also far superior to the ML sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610C8...88.html?tp=111

And yes, you need a free air sub, and yes, this is one. Dont waste all that $$ on another ML sub, youll thank me after installing this one.
I'll thank you now No, I wasn't planning on getting an ML sub. I'm ordering one of these right now. So, how do we access it? I hope not by removing the rear seats!
Old 03-29-12, 01:34 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry friend, unfortunately, you do have to remove the rear seat to install it I got it done in about an hour, maybe a little more the first time. The next time, once I got the 8 ohm, I decided I didnt want to bother again and payed my stereo guy to do it for me. There is a good, detailed write up here somewhere with pics and all on how to replace the sub, that is what I followed as well. I think a search should turn it up pretty easily.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-12, 01:42 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

OK, I'll search again. I did but got one for an ES or something. Then this thread I just ordered one, free shipping too! Thanks!
Old 03-29-12, 01:50 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Yeah that sub is like the deal of the century when on sale. I love mine.

The search on this forum can kind of stink. If I can find the thread for you I will post it as well.
Old 03-29-12, 02:06 PM
Muti007
Advanced

How to do everything regarding Mark Levinson stereo in our car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...nd-part-s.html

how to remove back seat specifically

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-01-03-ul.html

Hope that helped.
Old 03-29-12, 03:24 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
Yes it will. You need an 8 inch sub at least 8 ohms. This is what I ended up with after first buying a 4 ohm one that many here recommended but didnt realize was a bad recommendation. This one will work perfectly, not cut out or burn your amp out, fit perfectly as well, and happens to be on sale dirt cheap as well. Its also far superior to the ML sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610C8...88.html?tp=111

And yes, you need a free air sub, and yes, this is one. Dont waste all that $$ on another ML sub, youll thank me after installing this one.
OK, I'm confused now. The ML sub is 2 ohms. The Pioneer is 4 ohms. Why would I need one rated at least at 8 ohms?

As for the kicker, and fitting perfectly.. I just installed the Pioneer TS-SW841D. It does NOT fit perfectly.. at least not in the two piece plastic mount that the ML is encased in. I ended up drilling 6 holes and screwing it directly to the deck metal. Even with foam padding (weather strip) I can't get it to stop rattling during very low bass (Clapton, Pilgram.. my sub killer). Anyway, was curious.. does the kicker fit within the ML mounting bracket or did you install it on it's own?
Old 03-29-12, 03:31 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankg2
OK, I'm confused now. The ML sub is 2 ohms. The Pioneer is 4 ohms. Why would I need one rated at least at 8 ohms?

As for the kicker, and fitting perfectly.. I just installed the Pioneer TS-SW841D. It does NOT fit perfectly.. at least not in the two piece plastic mount that the ML is encased in. I ended up drilling 6 holes and screwing it directly to the deck metal. Even with foam padding (weather strip) I can't get it to stop rattling during very low bass (Clapton, Pilgram.. my sub killer). Anyway, was curious.. does the kicker fit within the ML mounting bracket or did you install it on it's own?
The ML sub isnt 2 ohms, its 12. Good luck finding another 12 ohm sub. An 8 works just fine thankfully, a 4 will cut out on you.

II cant tell you anything about your Pioneer sub, Ive never seen one or installed one. My Polk 4 ohm, I did have to get a little creative, but I did get to work with the ML mounts. The Kicker I have now, Im not sure as my stereo guy installed it for me so Im not sure how he mounted it or if he used the ML mount. I just know it sounds great and never cuts out on me anymore.
Old 03-31-12, 09:03 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Today I installed a set of component Alpine 6.5" S-Type in the front doors. I already had my Kicker Comp8 for 6 month and loving it. After removal of my "old" Rockford Forsgate fronts (pass. speaker went bad and I decided to replace both) I decided to check out my rear door speakers for condition and exact size. Turns out they were all shot with diaphram fully detached from the metal cone with pieces missing. So now I need to replace these. I oredere Alpine SPS 4" S-Type coaxials after reading great reviews plus they were cheap.
Fronts are powered by a Kenwood 4ch amp, rears, dash tweeters and sub powered by a stock amp.
Also, rear speakers on my 01 are components 4" speakers and 1" tweeters.
So after I replace rears only dash tweeters and an amp will be left stock.
Old 04-06-12, 06:29 AM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you say that paper cones are cheap? A large number of audiophiles would plainly disagree with you, claiming that paper cones - when treated properly to avoid undesirable characteristics - produce superior detail.

Of course, it may be the case that the environment of the car (fluctuating temperatures, etc.) exposes paper cones to an unacceptable level of degradation over time. I imagine that Texas heat will destroy my car in time. From May 2004 to September 2011, it was driven sparingly and mostly garaged, judging by the condition of the interior. Now it gets to sit in the blazing sun of a Texas parking lot 5 days a week.

BTW, my ML is functioning pretty well so far. This may be due to the fact that the previous owner most likely rarely used the system. I would like a little more definition in the bass, but I mostly listen to classical and jazz, which doesn't demand huge, cracking bass. However, large symphonic and organ recordings tax speakers in a way that rock and pop do not. I find that the ML provides a solid listening experience. Brass instruments have a rounded tone but plenty of heft, strings sound silvery, voices sound warm, and the high frequency assault of a pipe organ doesn't disintegrate into a shrieking mess. When the 32' pedal (lowest stop on an organ) comes in during a hefty organ track, the sub slips in with a proportionate and realistic amount of bass. The organ creates a sort of sonic "wall" that the ML handles effectively (for a car). That is its best attribute. Most cars cannot manage this

My best guess is that Lexus designers spec'd the system for a then 57 year old (about the average age of the new LS buyer) guy born in the late 40s, with an income of $250,000, to drive to the symphony or 60s rock show. But I think that changing the sub only to one with more definition would be enough to make mine (good condition) sound like a champ.
Old 04-06-12, 08:25 PM
yoreg1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with my subwoofer and I removed it and sent it to parts express to have it fixed and now my car audio is back to original specs. It only cost me about $80 bucks. www.partsexpress.com